1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets better without Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AvgJoe, Nov 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

It's nothing but guessing when it really comes down to it. All you can really say is that what we're doing now isn't working. However, we have half a Yao, a Lowry with a bad back, no Brooks, Bud hasn't started yet, and Adleman can't figure out the rotation yet. All these factors effect each other, and unlike you can in a science experiment, you can't just hold all factors but one the same and see what happens. If you're going to make a decision at this point, you're just going to be guessing.

Personally, I want to see it all stay the same and evaluate again once we have a better Yao, and Brooks and Lowry at full strength. We likely be better then, and we'll see what kind of trade is going to be there for us to improve at the deadline.

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Among starting PG's in the west, AB is about average in offense but almost dead last in defense. He's a good bench player to have.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It doesn't have much to do with agility, but I see you can't seem to understand that. Its ball placement, just like with a shooter. The ball is placed in a good spot for yao to get it,dribble, or turn and shoot. Nevermind, go and rent some pete newell tapes about the post or go google some post entry passes and you will see what I'm talking about.

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

lee...your sig....good lord!

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Makes total sense to me. The more agile ones had a larger margin for error. Yao doesn't have that benefit which is why the best entry passers over his career are Shane and T-Mac who are tall and can see over the D. Newsflash, our PGs have never been that great at getting the ball to Yao, reference the Sura comments. They may have been average at best, with Brooks being a bit below average, but the difference in the PGs doing entry passes is nowhere near the difference between the wings and the PGs.

And there is nothing that you can do in that regard. Now, you have this Ish Smith character who is making some unbelievable passes. He might be able to be a more effective entry passer, but he also has the height problem. And he is just as poor a shooter as Lowry without the defense.

Where is that scientist from the Fly to throw all three of the guys into the teleporter to combine their DNA to make a PG that can shoot, play D, draw fouls, make amazing passes, and run the offense.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You're talking about perfect ball placement which is inconsistent in today's game. Like I said, your theory is sound, but your application is r****ded.

And since perfect ball placement is indeed inconsistent, it's up to the receiver to adapt to the pass. And that has a lot to do with agility.

But back to the point....if you're trying to suggest that the mobility/coordination/agility of a 7'6 player should rival that of a 7'1 player, then you're essentially telling the world you have no common sense.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Your point makes sense, but that's not what he's saying. He is saying basically that it may not be fair, but Yao has trouble with the entry pass. There has been enough said and talked about it to determine that you can't keep blaming the point guard when it's not just one or two. You also can't blame the guy who is 6 foot when the only people who are really successful at getting Yao the ball are 6 foot 8 or taller.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Leeb is correct, the problem is on Yao.

Since he has gotten here, it has been a steady stream of:

Why can't Steve pass Yao the ball?

Why can't Mike James pass Yao the ball?

Why can't Bob Sura pass Yao the ball?

Why can't Rafer pass Yao the ball?

Why can't Aaron pass Yao the ball?

The only constant?

Yao.....for a guy his size he has a very small window in which to receive the pass, he has very poor leverage in that his center of gravity is so high that he gets undercut a lot.

And his hands are not that good at receiving the ball.

Yao is a very good scorer when he gets the ball close to the basket, but he will never be an elite player because he has too hard of a time catching the pass.

People need to stop blaming everyone else for Yao's deficiencies.

DD

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Didn't even have to read 12 pages of this stuff. Rockets are not better without Brooks. Easy.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The interesting thing is that this team has always said the team is build around Yao. Yet, the position that is most necessary to get the ball to Yao isnt the one where an elite player (at least elite passer) was ever put on the floor with him.

11. DaDakota

It is simply amazing the amount of criticism he gets on this board.

He is not a prima donna, plays hard, set a franchise record for 3pters made, was the 26th pick (what a value) won the first league wide award in over a decade, is our only guy capable of creating a quality shot late in games and in quarters, and gets hammered by folks.

Is he Chris Paul, Steve Nash, DWill, or Rondo?

No, of course not, but he is danged good, and he is our starting PG, whom both the coach and GM like a lot......

It is baffling why so many fans dislike the guy......

Unreal.

The PG does not make the entry pass, mostly it is the SF or SG on the wing.

DD

12. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

And our starting PG is going to be Chris Paul or Deron Williams? or leave it open?

Lowry certainly is dead last in offense and average in defense, which is useless facing elite PGs anyway.

13. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

AB is definitely the most hated Rockets player ever.

14. DaDakota

Not even close my man, not even close....lol.

DD

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Probably bc you overrate the heck out of him.

And he made a lot of poor decisions in the few games he playied in this season..

16. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

im pretty sure i hated scottie pippen much more than brooks. and toward the end of frances's tenure with the rockets, i grew weary of his ball hogging style.

17. choujie

choujie Member

You surprised? Whey you defend AB, why don't you think of Alston? and Ariza?

What did Alston and Ariza do to deserve that much of criticize and sometimes hate from so many fans including you?

To me, AB deserves more criticize than Both Rafer and Ariza because he is so much overrated by you and some guys who called him an "all star", an "elite PG". If pure role players like Rafer and Ariza should be criticized that much for their shooting abliity, an "all star" caliber player like AB certainly deserves more criticize for his defensive ability and decision making.

What you did to Ariza is what other fans do to AB now. And a big part of it is because of your constant overrating of him. More disappointment comes with more expectation.

18. DaDakota

Actually, I don't overate him at all, he is not an elite PG, but he is a good one...a guy that is a good scorer, a pretty decent distributor, and a below average defender.

And that puts him at near all star level.......for the 26th player drafted that is a steal, he is a lot like Tony Parker is to the Spurs.....just in a different way...AB with his 3pt shot, TP with his layups and flops.

DD

19. choujie

choujie Member

Nobody touches Pippen. And AB isn't even hated on Alston/Ariza level. I've seen "I hate Ariza" or " I hate Alston" threads but not " I hate Brooks" thread yet.

20. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Maybe the same reason you like to trash Lowry and Yao around? To help your argument for Brooks?

1 person likes this.