1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets better without Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AvgJoe, Nov 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You seem to be advocating moving away from Yao. I think this is where we may fundamentally disagree. I am not ready to do that. I still think when Yao recovers, he is the most dominant interior force offensively in the league, and his defense is very good also. And I think he will recover and play a huge role in our championship aspirations. However, if Morey decides to move in a different direction, away from Yao, I will accept that Yao has limited capacity for the rest of his career and it was something we had to do.

Mobile bigs? Hmmm, who is available? Calling Sean Williams. Mr. Williams front and center......ugh.

1 person likes this.
  2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I say it again, when Lowry got a good contract from the rockets and Ariza was traded away, AB's fate has been sealed.

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Last time I checked, the main reason we lost those games was our poor perimeter defense. How mobile do you need the bigs to be?

1 person likes this.
  4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I hope this time off helps Aaron with a few things. Some minor tweaks and things will be back on track. We don't need Aaron of last season. We need a more team based Aaron who tries to get everyone involved. Ideally, he should be the fourth option on offense.

I hope...
    - that he realizes he doesn't need to shoot as many shots and still be effective. If he distributes the ball and gets everyone involved, it will open up shots for him as doubling on Yao/Scola will get him the shots that Lowry is getting now.
    - that he cannot, under any absolute circumstance, throw a bounce pass into Yao. It just doesn't work.
    - that he needs to not let point guards get by him so easily on defense. For being so "quick", Aaron gets blown past too easily on defense.
    - that he realizes it's not always the refs fault. If he lets the calls get to him, the other pg automatically wins the matchup. Rarely has an emotional upset Brooks done good things on the court.
    - that he learns that someone as quick as he should never get trapped by a double team. He easily should be able to attack the big and either draw a foul when trying to get past or get by with ease. Instead, he picks up his dribble and lets the trap lead to a turnover or a desperate heave to the basket.

Aaron doesn't need to be the do it all guy we relied on last season. Just need a conductor on offense that keeps things on track.

Regardless of who he has played this season vs who Lowry/Ish have faced, it should be a realization of what positives are coming from these games. Take what Ish and Kyle are doing "well" and apply it to his game. If he can distribute, force tempo while playing under control, and hit those shots that Kyle is missing, then we will be a dangerous team.

In turn, there are things I wish Kyle/Ish did as well or easily as Aaron does. I have a hard time figuring out why Kyle likes taking fadeaway shots. I also don't know why in his fifth year, he still shoots horribly from distance. If he had this shot, he'd be the starter without question.

But Aaron gets back into the starting lineup once healthy and portrays that he is still in last season mode, the team will struggle most nights regardless of the other team on the court.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

These 2 comments make 0 sense. He is taking 13 shots per game which is good. The bounce pass is a good pass because the ball comes up to Yao's waist. The ball comes in to the point the defender has to go through Yao to get to the ball. I've played with multiple 7 ft guys and they want the ball there. If Yao could hold the defender off better by having his elbows up, it would help out alot too. You're really reaching with that one.

6. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

Brooks is a lights out scorer, but he is not a pg and he is too short to be a sg on a quality team.

Best case scenario, make him a 6th man. Once he's in, give him the permission to take as many shots as he wants sorta like how Denver does with jr smith. But please he is not a pg.

1 person likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Blaming Aaron Brooks for the teams struggles early on is an uber simplistic view of things.

Integrating Yao Ming for only 24 minutes a game is by far the biggest issue with the struggles.....

Not Brooks, Not Kyle, not Ish......it is integrating Yao.....how he fits, or doesn't fit, how he plays, when he needs the ball, how small his window is...

The Identity problem is all about fitting Yao in....nothing else.

DD

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A bounce is a HORRIBLE way to get the ball to ANY big man in the post. Yao's always had problems with bounce passes. Yao needs the ball high so he can KEEP the ball high. If not it's almost always a turnover. All big men want the ball high so they don't expose the ball to pesky guard coming around the baseline trying to stripe it. He's 7'6!! Basketball fundementals. Learn some.

9. DaDakota

This is funny.....Leeb played Division 1 college basketball.....

The bounce pass is extremely good, it is funny to read folks trying to say how bad it is, you can tell who has played the game and who has not by some comments posted.

DD

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Exactly! I couldn't agree more. Aaron should realize when some one is fronting Yao & he has a PG w/size guarding him he has to let someone else make the entry pass and get ready to be a spot shooter/driverat another spot on the floor.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bounce passes are fine as long as its not too low. Just like top passes are fine as long as they are not too high. The point is to get the ball to an area where the reciver doesn't have to move or reach to get the ball.

I swear to god, people hear one phrase said a few times and they repeat it like it is gospel. Learn to think for yourselves.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. And fixing this rotation.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Reading this thread and all make great points, but i'm going with Lowry on this one. Brooks problem is he will score a lot, but give up just as much on the other end. And when he isn't knocking down shots he then becomes a liability. Brooks wont draw fouls either and put them in the bonus. With Lowry he may not knock down shots, but he does get to the line and is one of the better defenders on the team. you have to go with players that have a better well rounded game and imo Lowry is a little better than Brooks. if he wasn't Morey would not have giving him that contract.

1 person likes this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And Stromile Swift played NBA basketball. Does he have good BB IQ? Does he have good fundamentals?

It's funny to see you take a criticism directed at Brooks' individual skillset and try to apply it to the sport as a whole.

1 person likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Have we had a starting point guard who hasn't been criticized around Yao? Francis? Alston? Sura? Brooks? I can't think of any.

It's a blessing to play with Yao, but a curse to deal with the wrath of his fans. Every dropped pass or missed shot by a non-Yao player becomes a lengthy debate.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Intelligent discussion without an ill-founded idea of superiority. Learn some.

17. albuster

albuster Member

This. Playing basketball in Div. I or even the NBA does not make someone a sage regarding basketball. If this is so then, as pointed out, why isn't Swift coaching or why were complaints heard that he allegedly has a very low bbIQ.
    JVG did not play on any significant level yet, he is arguably, one of the best minds in the NBA.

It is one thing to have played basketball on a high level but it is another thing to have a great basketball mind. Experience can only take one so far as evidenced by the fact that most of the greatest NBA players were not even hired as coaches nor assistant coaches.

18. DaDakota

True, I have amazing basketball IQ, and never played in the NBA.

:grin:

DD

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I'd say we're better when he's not starting, but overall as a team, no. I think he should be 6th man.

20. choujie

choujie Member

Sura was not criticized. He got the job done when he was healthy. Played like Lowry with a better shot.