1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Bench - Last 6 Games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arun Sharma, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Few things before I start:

1. 6 games is just random.. I got tired by then :) and I think it's enough to demonstrate my point.
    2. It's only from offensive perspective.
    3. It's just basic calculations

In Last 6 games:

AB played 138 minutes, took 59 shots and made 16 of those for 27.12% shooting, scored 57 points on 59 shots (.97 points per shot taken). 4.28 shots taken per 10 minutes of playing time.

Lee played 91 minutes, took 28 shots and made 12 of those for 42.86% shooting, scored 38 points on 28 shots (1.36 points per shot taken). 3.08 shots taken per 10 minutes of playing time.

Bud played 110 minutes, took 39 shots and made 20 of those for 51.28% shooting, scored 49 points on 39 shots (1.26 points per shot taken). 3.55 shots taken per 10 minutes of playing time.

Patt played 83 minutes, took 13 shots and made 6 of those for 46.15% shooting, scored 22 points on 13 shots (1.69 points per shot taken). 1.57 shots taken per 10 minutes of playing time.

Hill played 80 minutes, took 24 shots and made 8 of those for 33.33% shooting, scored 19 points on 24 shots (.79 points per shot taken). 3 shots taken per 10 minutes of playing time.

BUD/LEE/PATT: 38/80 = 47.5% (284 minutes) 2.82 shots per 10 minutes.
    AB/HILL: 24/83 = 28.92% (218 minutes) - 3.81 shots per 10 minutes.

As the stats says, BUD/LEE/PATT should get more shots than other 2, even if Brooks shooting comes back, because these guys are really efficient when shots are created for them. Just like how Battier hits corner shots, these guys have strength areas. I can only think of PATT sig shots being those mid-range shots (which he does not get that many). Bud/Lee are normally good when they get certain looks, but we don't create those shots for them as much as we should.

I hate it when Bud tries to create his shot himself. Lee hardly goes in to isolation mode. Patt just does not get as many shots as he should, even with minutes he play, 1.57 shot per 10 minutes is kinda low compared to others.

Yeah, Bud was in slump but still his numbers for the season are not that bad, it's pretty close to last season's right now.

All 3 of these guys can be used very efficiently if played correctly. If we can do that, our bench will not only stop throwing starter's given lead, but might also outplay other bench.

I feel our bench is quite strong when you compare it to other benches. It's just that we are not getting the best out of them.

4 people like this.
  2. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

interesting stuff. thanks for sharing, man.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is why Lowry needs to come off the bench, even If he is better than Brooks. Brooks has been AWFUL at getting his teammates involved.

4. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

To add to that:

From NBA.com, before this season started. Our bench was rated quite high, I know there is no Lowry in there right now and some other changes as well:

"Rockets. Although there's no major talent in reserve, this is the deepest bench in the league, no question. And almost every area is covered. Kyle Lowry is a top defender, Courtney Lee (12.5 points) can score, Chase Budinger (37 percent) can shoot the 3, Chuck Hayes and Brad Miller are rebounders and Jordan Hill brings all-around skills. The Rockets could win 50 games this season, largely helped by the bench."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/shaun_powell/09/01/NBAs.best.benches/index.html

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

damn... Very interesting. Can you do this again when we're done with our next 6 games? Just to see the difference between now and then.

6. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

I will keep track of next 6 games.. feed data on excel after every game and do it again after 6 games.

7. mazinger

mazinger Member

Brooks sucks and he isn't a PG. The bench also misses Miller. Move Kyle to come off the bench and watch the bench wreck havoc like last year. But now you have the starters suffer due to Brooks suckage.

Oh yeah, did I mention that Brooks sucks?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice breakdown! Yes, it's only 6 games, as DD would have pointed out in about 30 seconds were he not on hiatus, so it's a limited sample. Honestly, the numbers don't really surprise me. Both of those guys have been awful for what seems like an eternity. If anything surprises me, it's that the numbers are even worse than I would have guessed. Add the ineffectual defense from Hill, and the god-awful defense from AB, combined with some horrible turnovers by him, I shouldn't be shocked.

9. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Is DaDakota banned forever? He is currently active on the Spurs board, trashing Kevin Martin over there. His post, from earlier today:

10. mazinger

mazinger Member

I hope he doesn't come back. His boy Brooks has been sucking really bad. He doesn't like when he's wrong and is always telling people how they don't know anything about basketball. He'll probably post next time Brooks has a decent game. He'll waltz with his 'I know more about basketball than you" attitude posting how Brooks is the best Rockets player and the same ol' about Martin being fool's gold.

No DD, the Rockets would be better off without Brooks. Don't let the facts get in the way.

11. highlander3128

I think this is the right moment to put Brooks back as the starting PG. Just to see how it works wihtout other postions altered. It will be kind of interesting.

Do it Adelman.

12. highlander3128

I can't believe an old timer Rockets fan actually do that. What a shame!

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Brad Miller was more important to the team than many fans realized.

14. gah

gah Member

hahaha he has to get his fix somewhere, I hope he comes back soon so he can recover from such a symptom of withdrawal.

15. gah

gah Member

I don't know if I'm biased but to my perceptions our bench has struggled with or without him.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, its not "his boy Brooks".

Aaron Brooks is a Houston Rocket and are all supposedly Houston Rocket fans, therefore he is "our" boy collectively. Why you feel the need to lump one player with one poster is beyond me.

I know we had high expectations for the Rockets coming into the season and when there is a let down, the human brain needs to find a villian, but lets try to recogonize that human weakness and move past it.

No, the Rockets would be better off with a productive Brooks, ala one we have seen in the past.

What we need to do is find a way or a role in which he maximizes his skillset and hide his weaknesses and regains his value to the team.

I have suggested putting him back as a starter, but apparently that makes me some sort of nuthugger or Lowry hater, so we will just have to wait and see what happens.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, that's almost word for word a post he made here within the last several days. As for his status, no one has a clue except for Our Fearless Leader. I'm happy with whatever he choses to do.

#17 Deckard, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They've struggled all season on the defensive end. Offensively, things ran much better with him on the floor. Some might say its the increase in competition in the month of January, but then I would expect that to impact the starting unit more so than the bench. With Miller, the offense is much less scrambled because it goes through him on the high post on most possessions.

This is how much more efficient our offense has been with each of these players and Brad Miller versus these players and no Brad Miller:

Brooks: +2.9
    Lee: +4.5
    Budinger: +2.3
    Hill: +7.9

On defense, the results are more mixed though. Hill+Miller combination has been awful on defense, in particular.

19. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

(my post on another thread regarding Brooks - I agree with you, Larsv8)

I agree 100%.

Sooooo many posts about Brooks' sucking or we need to trade him or bench him, etc.

I feel the frustration and disappointment as much as the next guy.

But, do you "give up" on a guy who has a proven track record? Although it was a small sample before the ankle injury (4.5 games), he WAS playing pretty well and seemed to have a good attitude - after the talk with Morey and his agent, regarding his contract.

I think the frustration and bad body language has came from the frustration of not playing to the level he's accustomed to. That, as well as getting injured in a contract year, losing his starting job "to injury", the losing, trying to mesh with the second unit, etc.

I hate seeing play after play break down and then him motioning for the isolation. But, I also notice the second unit not cutting hard or running off picks like the first unit, then there are times he has no choice but to run iso.

We forget that was and still is a LARGE part of the offense (isolation for Brooks) and when he was on, it was OK. We'd ohhhh and ahhhhh at his drives or pull up J's and threes. Now, that they aren't going, it's extremely frustrating to watch.

So, do you bench him? Durvasa showed a graph over the past two years. If I'm not mistaken, Brooks was right there with Martin on the offensive side/production. (didn't have time to study it).

I think you have to believe that history is more of what he will do in the long run than a 20-25 game stretch of bad play. Still, sooner or later, something has to be done (benched, traded, starting again, etc.). So many people jump to making moves based on what a player is doing now as opposed to what the player is capable of - based on history, not potential.

One thing I'm NOT ready to do is hand the backup role to Ish Smith. I love his potential. I LOVED his play early on. He LOOKED TO PASS. Too often since Brooks came back however, he looks to SHOOT. I'm sure he wouldn't force things if he was in the rotation and would go back to looking to create for others as he did when he was getting consistent minutes.

Brooks is playing with a similar mentality of trying to force things as he knows he's playing (for him) limited minutes. You can actually SEE him thinking - and not reacting or playing.

He's always been a volume shooter and had the green light. Now, he'll turn down an open shot 'cause he's missed a couple in a row, then put himself in a worse situation and force a worse shot. He's just totally off and out of rhythm and it's hard to watch.

It is comical though to read the "Brooks sucks" posts over and over. It's like so many of these guys JUST started watching the Rockets over the last two months. Even though I'd get FRUSTRATED with Rafer's shooting, he ran the offense well and played good defense. I wasn't happy when he was traded and we were handing the offense to Brooks. I thought we'd get killed with point guards posting him up.

He won me over pretty quickly. And, contrary to what many think, he plays decent post defensel. He struggles getting through or around picks on the perimeter badly.

I'm ready for a trade or change or him to get his groove back though - and it can't come soon enough!

But, the guy doens't "SUCK"....lol. He's a proven scorer in this league, demonstrated the ability to hit big shots, play effectively in big playoff games and yes... run the offense well. (check assists compared to Lowry's over the last two years).

Winning cures everything - and there's a lot more wrong with this team than just Aaron Brooks. There's more frustration with him because he's proven he's capable of so much better play.

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thanks for the info OP. I was wondering the same thing. I wonder what its been like over the last 10-15 games? Im too lazy to look it myself.

I would love to see Ish+Lee+T-Will+PPat in the 2nd lineup. Along with Scola or Hayes playing the 5 untill we get a solid 5. I think this alone can plus a solid Centre can take us to the playoffs. This is with what we alredy have plus just a Centre. We are just 5 games behind with over 30 games left.

If we can make some solid upgrades by trading then I think we can still advance further than 1st round.