1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are Underdogs in Game 7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bobloblaw, May 15, 2015.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

But what are the game 7 home teams records?

Were we favored in game 5?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

My bad Space Ghost. My bad.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We got to have that underdog mentality but as I said before Game 1.

Series was close to 50-50 even without Bev, Mo

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Best thing that could happen.

After last night, we badly need The Wolf to come in and warn the Rockets not to start s***ing each others' ****s yet.

1 person likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

2 points is nothing. It is pretty much a coin flip game.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This has been a high variance series-- from game to game and even from quarter to quarter. I just have no idea which Rockets and which Clippers team are gonna show up at any given moment.

My sense, and that of the bookies and betting public it seems, is that the Clippers are more talented overall. So if each team is having their "average day," the Clipper will win (I felt the same way about Clippers vs. Spurs). But these teams haven't often had "average days" against each other.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Rockets are not losing Sunday. I should not have to repeat myself. :eek:

8. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Here's the problem that I see. We were down 17 with one of our best players in, and then we won after he was out.

This shows that while our team has the skills and heart to beat them, there is something wrong with the system.

The question becomes, what version of the team will show up on Game 7? This is why we're considered the underdogs.

9. treeman

treeman Member

Have you all noticed that in most of the media today the discussion was about the Clips' "collapse", and not our comeback? The implication being, it was all because of Clips' sloppy play and not at all because of anything the Rockets really did. Sure, they had some lapses, but do their 4th quarter lapses not cancel our 3rd quarter lapses out to a degree?

Narratives. I guess it's easier for them to tell themselves it was just a Clips "collapse" instead of a Rockets' "push".

10. treeman

treeman Member

And one other thing I noticed... Harden was battling flu-like symptoms, has been for a few days. Is 5-20 the norm for him? Of course not. Why not mention he was sick? Narratives...

Unless he's got freaking ebola I wouldn't count on a repeat of that performance in game 7.

11. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The fact that Rockets were down 3-1 in the series has no bearing on the point spread. That's like saying black has hit twice in row so red is due. Uhh, no. The odds of a team coming back from 3-1 have no bearing on the odds of Rocket win on Sunday. The odds of a home team winning game 7 at home should be considered. The Rcokets don't have to win 3 games on Sunday, just 1.

The line makes no sense and I'm absolutely shocked that it hasn't yet moved to Rockets being favored. I'm guessing the smart money is waiting to see how high the dumb public can push it in LA's favor. A half point here or there on a line this tight is huge.

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The other thing that's happening with this line IMO is Vegas is perfectly happy to have a lot of Clipper bets. They know the perception of the two teams among public bettors and know true dead money is sure to fire on LA in a Game 7 road game. The true odds are most definitely in the Rockets favor but bookies are stealing money hand over fist letting public bettors hammer LA.

13. treeman

treeman Member

This is the sort of statistic that is rendered ENTIRELY irrelevant by a game 6 road win facing elimination. HCA back to us, 3-3, BOTH teams facing elimination. We've won the last two and have momentum.

That particular stat has meaning because most teams crumble before they've accomplished what this team has. More realistically, the only consideration is this: one game left, winner take all. And I'll take home court and momentum for that any day of the week, history be damned.

14. Asian Sensation

Exactly. We haven't won anything yet. I hope they enjoyed the win last night and they're refocused and hungry. All will be for not if they don't put forth the same type of effort and execute on Sunday.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is the worst logic ever.

If you flip a coin three times and the first two come up heads, the odds of the third one being heads/tails are still 50:50. The results of the first two do not influence the third.

For what it's worth, ESPN's BPI gives the Rockets a 53% shot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets have 53% chance of advancing to the WCF to face the Warriors.</p>&mdash; Ben Alamar (@BenAlamar) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenAlamar/status/599424153104588800">May 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

They don't do this

17. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Its logical ppl going with percentages and history....92 percent of teams leading3-1 in the 2nd round have advanced now lets go out and be the ninth team to buck the trend.....Momentum is on our side right mchale :)

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

To quote Demeco Ryans in a pregame speech:

"WE GOING TO RIP THE HEART OUR OF THESE ****ING HATERS, HOW THE HELL WE UNDERDOGS IN OUR HOUSE"

That speech still gets me hyped several years after.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Ha! Thanks to Sling TV, I can finally watch the playoffs.

In the regular season, Harden single handily carried the teams to victories. Harden is putting up good stats in the playoffs, but he's simply not taking over like he has in the past.

20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

the rockets will win game 7 easily. ive never been so sure about a win in the playoffs