1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are *probably* getting Caron Butler

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jose, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I disagree with the importance of re-signing Haywood. To me, he's just an interim solution to help our defense and push us into (and hopefully through) the playoffs. I can't see us really re-signing him after this season.

Yeah, he'd be a nice back-up to Yao, but he'd be demanding starter-like money (over $6M, probably). I can't see us using that much on a back-up center, especially when we have the Chuckwagon, the Aussie, and Joey Dorsey (maybe) still. Really, each of our current potential back-ups solve each potential match-up that is fathomable (Chuck for players like Bynum, Andersen for guys like Okur, Dorsey for guys like Gasol). Haywood, to me, because an unnecessary expenditure we could make on someone else using our MLE, depending on our need.

Bottom line, I don't think the center position will be a dire need once Yao returns. Of course, I am assuming the surgery works and his foot doesn't crack yet again.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'm not a big Tmac fan, but Tmac for Butler straight up, does not favor the Rockets. Even with Tmac's decline.

I just don't see Morey making a deal that allows the third team involved (Cleveland) to get the best player (Jamison) and then get back Z.

There's got to be more.

Thanks for the info Jose.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

He played 24min/game last year. Started 20 games. And he didn't need to start for them as they had Odom. Sorta why he came here, if ya didn't know or hear(to start!). DM and Rick obviously has a plan of how they're going to use him and what kind of role he is going to have for now and for later, even if it's not what you want personally. :rolleyes:

You either hate a player or love a player. No in between, no changing your mind as Reeko said. Von, Billy Spanoulis among players on your love list, T-Mac and Ariza among the players on your hate list. Rage on!

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ha, the problem is that I am actually so much smarter than you average fans.

You guys have no comprehension for what I am saying.

It is a bit like Zeus trying to converse with the lowly peoples of the planet.

I can not help it, really......sometimes you serfs just do not understand what we Gods are trying to say.

;)

DD - tongue firmly planeted in cheek.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Playing catchup here as I've been gone.

I'm assuming if Butler and Haywood enter the fold we're dealing Shane,Scola,etc. for Bosh?

6. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I told you all that the "secret place" was an Iron Fan recognition for selected fans with perfect attendance in January. What I do know is that Service Executives and Promotions staff work that "party". No assistant GM's or basketball operations staff are part of those get togethers...

And if they were on that night, Jose just got someone in trouble because they would know who was there and said that stuff.

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Bosh is not available.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Some people need to realize what a developmental year means. Ariza is 24 years old. It is part of the Rockets' plan for him to push his limits, to try some things he isn't good or comfortable at. Sure he looks bad sometimes doing this, but that is part of the growing/experimenting process. Some people mistaken this for Ariza "not knowing his limits". They still believe this when Morey has come out and practically begged us to blame him for Ariza's shot selection.

Morey knew exactly what he got when he signed Trevor. He also knows he has a young player with room to grow. In a year when we are not winning the championship anyways, what's the point in holding back? If he fails to improve, SO WHAT? It was worth a shot when this year was a wash anyways.

When we are vying for playoff position next year with Yao back, and with a realistic shot at a title, then I would be worried if Trevor is still trying to split double teams and shoot fadeaways.

9. LifeisButaDream

Re: McGrady trade options?

Postby bcortell on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 am
    I didn't read through the whole thread.. but we have an insider who is saying there is a three way getting talked about:

Cavs out: Z
    Wiz out: Butler, Jamison
    Hou out: TMac

Cavs in: Jamison
    Wiz in: TMac
    Hou in: Butler, Z (to be bought out)

Thought you guys might like to know.. said it's not definite but is on the table for all three teams to consider.

10. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I'm ok with this, but now we have 3 sf's in Ariza, Battier, and Butler. We would need to move one sooner or later. Caron or Ariza are not sg's no matter how much we need them to be.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Are they reading this thread? lol

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I've been looking at the Wizards Real GM board, and a supposed "Cavs insider" is mentioning the same trade (well they say it's on some Cavs board). FWIW....

13. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Whether or not jose was actually told about this alleged proposal, I don't see how Washington does this trade without more sweetners from Houston and/or Cleveland. Jamison is worth a lot more than Z's expiring contract, and frankly I think that Washington can get more for Butler than Tracy's expiring contract. I think Washington's GM would be shot if all he got back for his two best players (I'm not a big fan of Arenas) is expirings.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He gets cash to sign a max FA - Washington is going nowhere with their "2 best players" - it'd be a start over for them.

Happens all the time in the NBA

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only problem that Andersen helps to solve is the one where there's not enough players that have no business being in an NBA uniform on the court.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

... which is not much

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not sure whatever jose posted is true or not but i will lean towards the side of he is not BSing since everyone deserves a chance.

its hard for me though to think washington would give all that up for really just an expiring contract and no other young talent and picks

also i dont see why we would buy out Z when we actually need some size this season AND he is expiring so he wont hurt the rockets future goals. i cant remember the last time the rockets bought out a player that stood to be useful to the team.

the cavs really make out on this deal if everything holds true they really would give up nothing and get jamison.

the rockets it would be a butler for tmac swap i think there is a better market out there than just butler right now.

these next 7 days will be torture

18. amaru

amaru Member

I thought I heard that Washington has no interest in helping Cleveland do anything but crash and burn lol.

They'd give them Arenas though..lol

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To get Butler. I don't think the Rockets would want to give up Z, but would do it as condition of a trade to get a good player. I don't believe the Rockets will buy out a player outside it being part of a wink deal.

20. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i haven't read through this thread as most of it seemed like people calling one another liars, so I apologize if what i'm about to say is redundant.

this trade is interesting, a variation on some of what we've seen previously, but regardless of whether the story is true or not there appears to be one consistent message emerging from Rockets HQ:

Butler is their primary target.

I think the reasons for this are multifaceted. First, he provides scoring at the wing, versatility, size, athleticism, etc. Second, he's known to be a team guy, with leadership qualities. Third, he doesn't make an exorbitant amount for a player of his skillset. but most importantly, I think the Rockets are being mindful of the upcoming CBA negotiations and are leery of acquiring heavy contracts that run past 2011, so Butler's two-years remaining under contract look really good from that perspective.

Either that or he's a great smokescreen for the rockets super-secret pursuit of Lebron. shhh. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.