1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are NOT tanking this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 16, 2022.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

With Silas as your HC you are always tanking even if you don't know it yet.

clutchdabear, ak99999, Caesar and 2 others like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I do think we “tanked” a bit by starting green right out of the gate and playing him heavy minutes .

yes , he’s the number 2 pick , so obviously not G-league . But you could have eased him into his full role over the course of the year I don’t think it would have changed the outcome .

but , who knows maybe the team needed losing 15 straight to show the young guys what a tough task it can be .

last year our number 1 priorities were KPJ , Wood , and green .

we underplayed theis , and Gordon . We did a weird half dance with Gordon .

we lucked into smith . I was so scared we’d have Chet .

IMO my main sense of ire is that without going for wins on some level it’s very hard to honestly asses how coach and GM are doing.

I think stone has had a cakewalk of a job so far .if Morey was here we’d all be holding him to a much higher standard .

with harden trade we had the option of going for current good players or pushing to the future . We chose future .

the future is now motha****a . We have the start showing something . If we are the worst team in the nba again that’s a problem .

If it’s a close game and green has been sucking should you A play for the win by putting in Gordon (or the hot hand) and giving the other young players the chance to succeed. OR , B , put green back in

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I think you always play to win unless there are 10 games left in the season and you are 5th from the bottom. At that point you pull an OKC and full on tank

#43 Xopher, Oct 16, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

agree I don’t mind playing to lose if it’s tactical and in small doses .
    But it can’t be the theme for the year that wins don’t matter . This year they absolutely do

Dobbizzle and Xopher like this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why do they matter? What do you gain from 28 wins vs 22 wins?

Corrosion, mikol13 and roslolian like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

it depends on the quality of the win too . So there’s already a qualifier in my point . But if you beat a good team it means your guys rose to the challenge and executed down the stretch vs a team that was trying .

hard to believe we will turn a corner unless you get some flashes

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I want to see some flashes, and some great games from jalen and jabari, but still 60 losses would be ideal

Corrosion and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Has the team ever said they were gonna tank? I remember Silas put on that emotional bit when they were losing like 9 games in a row last season.

As far as I'm concerned the more losses this season the better. This is the lsst year we have our pick anyway, might as well maximize it who knows maybe we get Wemby or Scoot.

Corrosion and mikol13 like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Flashes have nothing to do with wins and losses. You can get some wins while being a joke of a franchise (aka Kings). If you look st OKC they went from picking top 3 to getting 50 wins in Harden's rookie year.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The ideal scenario is the Brooklyn Nets fall apart, and the Rockets are a much more competitive team.

Granted, if both the Nets and the Rockets struggle, the Rockets can essentially choose the better of two lottery tickets. However, the dream scenario is if the Rockets are at least competitive enough to threaten a play-in, yet at the same time the Nets lose enough and somehow "luck out" with the 1st-3rd pick in the draft that they are forced to swap with the Rockets.

11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Not when playing the available replacements don't appear to really net you wins. We saw those huge losing streaks we had, and Wall was playing that first year. Wall's market value is what he signed for which is $6.5M a year, that is what a first round pick makes, we weren't sitting guys with max contracts that are worth max contracts. You either play a guy who can get hurt and hurt his trade value (they were hoping to trade him at the time) and is simultaneously in decline, or you can play a guy who has a similar level of talent, but is developing and getting better each day. Wall isnt going to get better with more playing time, he is just likely to get hurt and that is bad for himself and the team. He also is not a star player that can single handedly win you games.

12. hahachui

hahachui Member

We will tank anyway just 1-2 injury away from tanking hard

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

That's the plan.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

anybody calling stone incompetent at this point is either trolling or knows nothing about basketball

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

I agree with you. That's why I think the other option is way more likely: he's just lying. They wanted to lose last year. The basketball product was horrible, I doubt Silas and the coaching staff is that clueless to have a team play like such garbage.... This is year is to be seen.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I find it comical that although we should have a basic understanding of what goes on in the world of basketball, we as fans are not paid to have intricate knowledge about professional basketball other than what transpired on Twitter, social media which isn't all genuine or true.

Therefore I take it that you harbor contempt towards those who doubted Stone.

#56 daywalker02, Oct 17, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We're not tanking because we don't track losses. Smart.

AroundTheWorld and jayhow92 like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If last night was a learning lesson, tonight is looking like a graduate course so far.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well they may not be TANKING, but they are losing and by a lot.

:)

DD

bluffkin likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

DD they really are though. They do not want the worst record in the league 3 years in a row. They want a bottom 5 record with improvement and a ton of minutes for the young players throughout the team. This gives them ample data regarding what to do in the draft and who and what position to target for a free agent(s).

Next year is your year though!