1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets are not a good team according to an Aussie player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cosmonaut, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I live in Japan and I am Aussie. I managed to get some tickets to a couple of the Aussie games at the Fiba world cup, So I hopped on a plane with my 5 year old son and we went to Okinawa for a week of beach and basketball. The games we went to were Australia vs Germany and Australia vs Japan. I had decent seats and was able to provide my son with a really good experience of what professional basketball is like. The game against Japan was really awesome, crowd was so loud and going crazy for their team. My son now really wants to practice basketball.

Anyways, me and my son were at a beach and by chance half of the Aussie team rocked up. I had to look twice and even said to my son "are those Aussie players?" and he was like "yeahhhh" cause he recognized someone from the games he had watched.

(I won't be using names out of respect) So we followed them for a little and my son went up to one of them and said "hello" and he said hello back. So anyways this particular player is an NBA player. Even though he was half naked I politely asked if he could take a photo with my son and he said ok. This particular player was pretty chill, talked for a bit about various things while he was carefully walking on rocks barefoot(which I thought was a little careless). I let this player go and went to talk to another player who was all an NBA player, politely asked to take a picture with my son again, and he was ok. So I managed to get photos with 2 players.

So the Aussie players went for a bit of a swim then got out. I started talking to the first guy again about the NBA then I said I was a rockets supporter and asked what does he think of the team.

Right from the start he said its not a good team. I then said to him the Rockets now have a much more serious coach and now have Fred. He still said "it ain't a good team". I asked why? He then said "their are too many young guys that are trying to get theirs." I said "won't that change under a new coach?" He said "probably not" I asked about Jalen and he said "he is alright." I proceeded to ask a few other NBA questions and my son even chimed in with what does he think of Jamal Murray, as that's my sons favorite player. He rated him very highly. I then thanked him for his honesty and his time and bid him farewell.

I felt like in the end from the way he was talking, he just isn't a fan of the Rockets organization as a whole. Perhaps the last few years of being at the bottom and how things were being run has created a lot of negativity about the team around the league. Hopefully the new coach can turn things around.

Anyways in the end my son was ecstatic about meeting some of the Aussie players and I was pretty happy too. It was the cherry on top of what was a fantastic trip.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Any pics taken for atmosphere?

Thanks in advance. Also if that player you talked to was Josh Giddey, that would be an extra point.

Or Patty Mills who was a Rocket for a few hours. Or Dante Exum.

Basically from someone who is not getting the full picture, they still think of the SIlas way of your turn my turn.....

Seems that specific player has firm beliefs that could not be shaken by you.

It is hard to accept but even during the Harden era, the Rockets were not that popular with media and certain players.

#2 daywalker02, Sep 4, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2023
  3. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I will have to find somewhere to upload, any recommendations?

I respected his answers, the fact he was very forth coming, even told me the hotel they were at. I just enjoyed the moment.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://imgbb.com/

Cool story and experience for your family. Great work.

burlesk, Cosmonaut and Yung-T like this.
  5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Who is? Even half of CFers ain’t a fan of the organization for crying out loud. Can you blame them?

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

7. fattz

fattz Member

This is the cost of burning a franchise to the ground then waiting for newly fertile soil to sprout new life. Most people only remember the fire because it burned a lot of people, maybe even the person / people you were talking to.

EDIT - your son is probably to young to appreciate the experience; so I will say thank for him. This is something he may remember for a life time & Thank you for sharing with us, too.

#7 fattz, Sep 4, 2023
    burlesk and Cosmonaut like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very literal but with all the Forest Wild fires across the globe going on.............water under the bridge.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Did you ask him about Sengun tho

Amel, DeBeards, Ankara1923 and 10 others like this.
  10. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I don't even need my psychic to tell me the Rockets aren't a good team. They're my team, the only team I wanna watch, the only team I care about, but I have no delusions they're going from worst to first. Still psyched about the upcoming season. Go Rockets!

Also @Cosmonaut I've always wanted to do this (you don't have to reciprocate if it's some corny crud)...

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE...

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Australians are upside down people anyways

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, the majority of us know this already, so not any earth shattering analysis. Very cool you got to speak to them though.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would be great for the psychic to come up with the names of the players he spoke to.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm shocked someone thinks the worst team in the league the last 3 years isn't a good team.

SHOCKED!!!

Arnel, Amel, DeBeards and 14 others like this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree with the Aussie

The only way this thing works is if last year's poor
    shooters, shoot better.

@Hemingway and I had this discussion last season. I said Sengun
    was pretending to be a poor 3-pt shooter in order to be placed
    as the hub of the offense.

Sengun (22/23): 3P%
    [ 10/19 thru 1/11] ( first 37 games with KPj ) : 20% (3P%)

[ 1/13 thru 2/28 ] (19 games without KPj ) : 50% (3P%)

[ 3/01 thru 4/09 ] (19 games with KPj ) : 37.5% (3P%)

I followed that up by saying, KPj and Green started dogging it from 3 so that
    Sengun wouldn't reap the benefits of good spacing. A taste of his own medicine.

So I said 31 wins this year because:

VanVleet: like Christian Wood before and Sengun last year, FVv didn't want
    to be an off ball option threat with Raps to start the season.
    Each tanked their numbers for their own gain.
    (VanVleet contract year wanted better #'s)

Sengun: can shoot better; but will he?

KPj: retaliated? Or did he?

Jalen Green: retaliated? Or did he?

Dillon Brooks: according to reports, did not want to be a 5th
    option with the good Grizzly team.....will be accept 6th or 7th
    option for the not so good Rockets team?

I believe there are some selfish players on this team.

Hoping they prove me wrong and truly work together.

Most people outside of Rockets nation see bad team.

#15 ApacheWarrior, Sep 4, 2023
    burlesk likes this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

According to their record, he's absolutely right.

burlesk and clos4life like this.
  17. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

Why would anyone give 2 *&$#@ what one guy in Australia has to say about the Houston Rockets?!?

Arnel, Amel, Ankara1923 and 7 others like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Rockets are not a good team according to everyone.

Arnel, Amel, Gakatron and 8 others like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good enough to avoid getting the Number 1 pick. I kid.

clos4life likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

I.D.I.O.T

daywalker02, clos4life and napalm06 like this.