1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Apply for Exception

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

The Nets were denied an exception b/c they said "oh yeah, we should apply for this exception thingey" 2 years after Williams injured his leg. The Nets' example is irrelevant.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Achebe,

Yes, and that is what Thorn said, too. But, has no one found an example yet of a petition for injury? That's what gets me. excuse my pessemism....this injury sucks!

OK...here's some positivism for ya:

Maybe the Elliott and Zo' examples indicate that the league will help teams that lost significant starters. Maybe there are no examples of season-ending injuries in history simply because none fall within the deadline rules of the exception.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is it not possible that the Rockets have made Taylor's injury appear more serious than it actually is just so they can go after the exception? If they were granted the exception and Taylor was magically in playing shape in 5 months would it be possible for him to return and keep the player signed with the exception? I don't feel this is a ploy by the Rocks, its simply a notion.

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Ziggy- The Rockets wouldn't do that. Why would you think of that? And I thought it was weird how CD mentioned that Cato helped them win two years ago. If I remeber Cato was still a bust back then. CD, don't give a boost to Cato's ego. Be negative on him so he will work to get the soft label off of him. :D I think hell has a better chance of freezing over than this happening though.

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Well, I'm fascinated by everyone on the Rocks but I just love Walt's style. :cool:

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Makes the Griffin pickup even bigger. Griffin could be ready to really contribute next year, and could ease the pressure off Mo.

opie-Francis mentioned Mo had lost 20 pounds prior to the injury, and was in great shape. Do you think this loss of weight can help him recover better (20 pounds less of pounding on the floor)? Based on your medical knowledge, would you agree that because of Mo's style of play (open jump shots), this injury isn't as debilitating to him as it would be to a player that elevates above the defense and uses a lot of contact (like a Shaq type). I realize that this will affect his elevation on his jumper and his inside game. You mentioned hard court surface, I've heard Dallas and Toronto have some "space age" type of floor, that supposedly has some give or something and actually allows the players to jump higher. With the Rockets getting a new stadium (and floor) soon, would an addition like that help any?

As an outside question, occassionally when a baseball player has an arm injury, they say he sometimes can actually come back stronger, because the surgery redoing the tendons can actually strengthen the bond. Is that an arm thing only, and doesn't apply to the Achilles?

7. haven

haven Member

A good friend of mine had a surgery that had such an effect. He said that they removed an extra tendon from one leg and put it in his arm... and since the leg tendons are stronger, he had more strength.

Aren't they just going to tie this tendon back together?

8. heypartner

Ziggy,

If we are granted an exception, it sticks, regardless to whether Mo' comes back.

OK, more facts Achebe:

NJ was also denied an exception for Kerry Kittles knee surgery on Oct 30th, 2000, the same time of the Williams denial. He never played a game last season.

Raptors <a href="http://www.canoe.ca/Slam001115/nba_tor-sun.html">denied an exception in Oct 20th, 2000 for Alex Radojevich's</a> back surgery, and this was for a piddly $700k exception. He never played. He actually reinjured it later, and they could have resubmitted the petition. He has played 3 games in two years.

Spurs were <a href="http://www.reporternews.com/texsports/spurs0126.html">granted an exception for Charles Smith,</a> for a career-threatening case of osteoarthritis. That sounds like a disability to me. However, they had only one week to use it, because they could have diagnosed it earlier.

Orlando got some $500k exception back in the mid-90's. Don't know who for.

Thing is: I still can't find an exception for anyone who played another NBA game, except the kidney boys...and possibly Hurley (although I can't find mention of it).

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Will Mo be put on IR or will he not be on the roster at all?

10. heypartner

Mourning was on IR all last year. It is either IR or waive him.

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Oh I think you're right crispee. Based on precedent, I'd guess that the Rockets will not get the exception. I was just making a stab at NJ for their late petition, as well as discounting the Williams' anecdote.

Regardless of how the rules read, the NBA has focused the exception around career threatening injuries. The Rockets' case reads like a textbook case, in accordance with the Exception scripture. But... I won't be suprised if the NBA prints a big 'next' on the application.

12. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I would think that Mo's injury, which typically requires at least 9 months to return to high level competition, would stand a good chance of legitimately qualifying for the medical exception. I know CD is positioning the Rockets...but he has a VERY strong case.

Yes, he'll be participating in light workouts very likely by 5-6 months, but it will probably take him every bit of 9 to 12 months to get enough strength, stop and go ability, jumping ability, endurance etc. to compete at the level required of an NBA athlete. And I happen to believe that pro basketball players are, by definition, the finest athletes in the world.

Could he be ready to go sooner? Yes, conceivably. But this is an injury that legitimately will take a player out for an entire season. Have read the "exception rule" posted yesterday; will follow this with interest. I know much will depend on precedent and politics.

Dallas (Doc)Rocket

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

D@mn crispee,
    Are you really ZRB in crispee's clothing?:D

Think positive. Remember, Les and the Rocks have political clout with the NBA brass. My guess is, we get the exception. This seem pretty clear cut. Major season ending injury with little or no hope of return this year.

You never know. Besides, we are about due for something good after having to deal with Fegein this off season.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I feel horrible for Motay......If we are able to parlay this exception into Mason,as NJRocket suggested,I'd feel good about our chances going into the year.This is horrible to say in light of our boy's demise,but Mace,in my mind makes this team a better one in the short term while our boy heals.
    off topic,but another thought that I'm sure has been kicked around is Griffin being forced into his natural position right off the bat.We have a player here who brings the defense we sorely need from the 4......I want him getting plenty of time........not Kenny.I really think Griffin's ability to change a game with his interior defense and his post up skills will surprise alot of teams this year.Eddie will fill out,but he has game and I'm glad he's going to get a chance to display it right away at the 4.If we get Mace to go with Griffin at the 4 we are looking good.....Just trying to buck everyone up.....Get well Mo!

15. lived

lived Member

From all the info here, I'm guessing that it'll be realistic not to expect Mo to play this season. Even if he does get back onto the court, doctors could probably advice him to take the time off to do even more conditioning on his tendon. There is a tendency to reinjure the tendon if atheletes rush back into games. There isn't an assurance that Mo will even get back to 100% of his old self, so it'll be better if we just forget him for the next 12 months. Hell, I injured my knee ligaments 3 years ago and I'm unable to jump half as high as I used to.

On the bright side, whether Marc Jackson comes here or not, the doors are open for the rest of the team. Leaving Cato out of this, Collier and EG will have plenty of chances to shine. I'm looking forward to seeing more of KT on court too.

16. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Agree with all three points D(D)R.

One thing I know you know, but you did not elaborate was this: One of the keys to rehab for an injury like this is a calculated (and frequently slow) direct rehab of the tendon itself. Proper stretching of the repaired tissue must be tempered with extreme caution. It is a necessary evil but that tendon repair must heal itself with a supple attitude and minimal contraction stress and yet must be expanded (stretched,massaged, heat,ed hydro, etc...) to maintain that elasticity. However, one simple "over stretch" (or the lack of careful proper preparation to any movement) and it lays the rehab schedule back weeks and sometimes months. I would have to think Kieth and the rehab team will be super conservative for his return. I would bet on a 12 months (10 to 14) target.

17. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Can we use this conservative approach to rehab as ammo for the exception?

18. man532

man532 Member

We should go with Marc Jackson, team player, rebounds, hustle, and a good insurance policy for Fato.

Anthony Mason, good player, however, a locker room cancer walking

Jelani McCoy has never lived up to his potential, still learning how to be a pro.

I'm not sold on Jason Collier, too slow and young to defend NBA centers. I'm definitely not counting on Walt, I would prefer TMorris, who at least attempts to play D and board.

19. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Oeilpere,

you are correct that the rehab is a "dance." We're actually a lot more aggressive than we were years ago when a long leg cast was left typically on for several months before even beginning to stress the tendon or mobilize the ankle joint. We now know that controlled stretching actually accelerates recovery by strenthening and aligning the tendon fibers. And with the sophisticated rehab/medical team and equipment the Rox have, I think he has a great chance of coming back and getting very close to what he would have been this season.

As you obviously know, this is a tough injury for anyone, much less a high performance athlete, to fully recover from. It will probably take him until sometime between one and two years post injury to really "put it behind him" and feel like he is not hindered by weakness or lack of flexibility...that he can just "play."

That's why I feel that the Rockets really have a legitimate chance at the Medical Exception. This injury takes longer than even knee reconstruction to recover from (and those were some of the case precedents being cited).

BTW. what is your background re. your medical insights?

20. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Agree with your assessments of course because you are the expert.

The advantage of MoTay being the inujred player is that although he will be highly motivated, he is coachable and will listen intently with the team advisors. Also, because he signed a long term contract he will not be forced to hurry his rehab to "show' prospective suitors he is healthy. If that happened mid season before signing, it would have dvastated his career. The last point is that if RT is anything, he is a patient player administrator. I cannot help but think on several other teams Maurice would hurried or pushed to get back in the chute.

On my medical background, email me at oeilpere@lycos.com or originalpopeye@lycos.com