1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and Texans fans in S.A.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by slowmustang, Jul 4, 2004.

1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I will be attending Trinity University next year and was wondering what my options were in watching the Rockets. Getting the NBA League Pass thing is out of the question so is going to some sports bar the only solution?

Also, are Texans games shown regularly there? Im hoping that the Cowboys will be shown on Fox while the Texans shown on CBS. Is that how it was last yr.?

2. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

You can afford Trinity but not league pass? Wow! ... just kidding fellow Alum here....

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

A sports bar is probably your best option. BTW, I went to Trinity University(great school stuck in a crappy city), and I used to go to Spurs games at the Alamodump and root against them.

4. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I'm actually got a pretty good amount of scholarship so that's the only way that I can afford to go there. I guess that I will be wearing Tmac and Yao jerseys at Spurs games even if they are not playing the Rockets. LOL

Anyone know about the Texans? I figured that I would be able to watch them but was unsure.

Also, for the people that went to Trinity, what did you like and dislike?

5. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

I was there a long time ago so much of this may have changed, but from some younger alums I work with tell me that my dislikes of the school have only worsened in recent years. I liked the classroom size (it's the only reason I went there) I liked being in classes that wrote papers & had discussions & written tests instead of classes of 300 students taking multiple choice tests. I hated the stuck-up rich kids & there are plenty of them. Very anglo, very elitist.

I would say it's the reverse. Trinity as a community is the lame part, the city of San Antonio is fun. Lots of cool dive bars & Mexican food places. Good downtown arts scene too. Can get a little boring at times though, but Austin is just an hour away.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

What about us Rockets fans who are going to UT next year? Any good sports bars around campus?

7. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Well, sounds like what I've heard about Trinity also. I knew that it would be a rich anglo dominated school. About being bored, I will be on the tennis team so I think I will be too busy to worry about that. All in all, I am just worried that I won't be able to see any Houston sports teams. Missing out on the newly formed Rockets would not be a good thing.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I watched the Rox playoff game on big screen at posse east. Good game, good food for cheap. A couple of Rox fans also.

9. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Lots of Rocket fans at the Tavern too.

10. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Can't recommend exactly where to go, but SA is a working class town; there'll be plenty of multiscreen sports bars to watch the games. In the long run though with 40+ trips to the bar, you'd save money if you could just get league pass.

Don't let me depress you about Trinity. Lots of good professors there & that's the main reason your going anyway.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Another Trinity alum here, class of 96. I was a Rockets fan in San Antonio during their championship days. Man it was tough hearing all the Spurs/Cowboys propoganda there in SA. Very tough to deal with! I got by though. :D

Trinity is a great school. Great education. Enjoy!

12. esse

esse Contributing Member

Unless you go to a sporstbar to keep up with the Rockets, you'll soon enough have a Spurs jersey style coozie like me!:D

Actually, I havent seen a Rockets game since I moved to S.A. last summer.
    Just in time too. I dont think I could EVER get over having Jeff Van Gundy as a Rockets coach....are you kidding me?! I was in Houston for the Dream days and back 2 back championships, and I just can't do it.

good Luck and study hard.:)