1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets and "rivalries"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Nov 19, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

My friends and I were arguing about NBA rivalries. I'm curious to see CF's thoughts on the topic:

I told them the Rockets rivalries are with Dallas, San Antonio, Utah, and Seattle/OKC.

My friends (who know nothing about the Rockets--they're Cavs fans) discredited any as true rivalries. They agreed that DAL and SA might be rivalries, but excluded UTA and SEA/OKC because the teams rosters are always changing.

I agree that the UTA rivalry has gone dormant, but I still see it as a rivalry.

I think there is a clear rivarly between the fan bases of HOU and OKC and UTA, stemming from our history with both franchises, but they disqualify those as true rivalries. Thoughts?

What is a "true rivalry", and who are Houston's?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rivalries are made and defined with repeated playoff matchups/battles (hence why they used to have great rivalries with the Sonics and Jazz).... unless the Rockets face Portland again (and actually win), they really don't have a rivalry.

Also, the deeper you go in the playoffs, the more intense the "rivalry" can get... 1st round matchups really don't cement that.

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Dont Think OKC sees the Rockets as a rivalry, More like an annoying fly

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I've never viewed San Antonio as a rival

I will always view Utah as a rival, no matter what, I still enjoy kicking the **** out of them

Maybe Dallas just because they are Dallas + Parsons

The closest thing to a current rivalry imo is Golden State

5. zyt

zyt Member

houston has no rivalry, unless ur talking abt 20 yrs ago

first round exits vs utah/lakers/dallas constitutes no rivalry, u think their fans r annoyed too by ur losses?

rivalry is back and forth like lakers/boston, knicks/heat

6. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I define a rivalry as two teams which want to beat each other more than is typical, based on previous history (whether that is playoffs, intense regular season match ups, player conflicts etc.). Rivalries mean more passion, more intensity, giving no mercy and expecting no mercy.

For me, our current rivalries are:
    OKC - Westbrook, Beverley thing. Also the 7 game series and battling for top spots in the western conference.
    GSW - Similar offenses, the 3pt record attempt against them (and the dirty tactics employed by Mark Jackson)
    Portland - the newest rivalry based on last years playoffs
    Utah - Historical rivalry, fairly dormant atm. Once this Jazz team start clicking, it will return
    SAS - based on proximity alone, the actual games have been fairly standard from an intensity perspective these past few seasons

Dallas is being hyped by the media and Cuban as a rival to Houston, but rivalries are ultimately decided on the court. We will see if this one develops, i expect it will

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

If Dwight miss more games ,our rivalry is The 76s