1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets and Mavericks talking trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Jun 20, 2023.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This thread went sideways....o_O

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Imo he's an integral part of the pg or ball movement though, he's handling the ball and being the primary playmaker depending on the rotation/in-game situation at both a club and national team level. Green isn't remotely close to Franz' level of playmaking and versatility.

Does Green have the higher upside due to his athleticism and shooting strides? Definitely, but he's very far from improving on the rest in a way that makes him as valuable as Franz atm, especially when it comes to consistency.

FLAGRANT1 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

sounds like my ex gf

4. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

He's better than Sengun... he can be successful on any team despite the roster or coaching

Yung-T likes this.
  5. Ish

Ish Member

I think rockets trying to get the 10th to pair up with 4 to move up to 2 and then trade for Zion

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea it's why I mentioned fit, with Sengun there are a lot more question marks a coach has to work around.

7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

If we were to get Zion, I would also suspect we're in on Harden. I have no verification... just a thought

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Imagine trading up to get a generational point guard on a young team full of rookie contracts that badly needs a point guard...

...and throwing him away for a guy who averages 28 games played a year and has never once been healthy for the playoffs.

Galaxy brain move right there.

Believe It!, Slim, larry cook and 7 others like this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

The hope there would be in the back of the lottery and win....

10. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-6-20_14-15-16.gif

11. Nook

Nook Member

Nothing is perfect.

The Rockets need a lot of things...... better shooting, better defense.... a point guard that distributes... a big point guard that can guard 1-3 so Green can cover 1's.

Amen Thompson meets most of those criteria.

You are right, Thompson is a poor shooter ........ but really, if Smith, Green and Sengun don't shoot well, it won't matter because we will never win anyway.

Deuce, Patience, KingSamJack and 12 others like this.
  12. liveguy

liveguy Member

Having a tall, athletic point guard that plays D is also a great facilitator is a luxury.

Rockets can find shooters via free agency and/or trading up using pick 20 and a player (KPJ, KMJ, Tate) and some future picks if needed.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Where do you get "anywhere close to playamking" from?

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really thought they were going to use this pick to grab a vet, but the fan base seems resigned to this being more of a salary dump. I’d rather take Bullock over Bertāns, but I’ll live with either. Buying a top 10 pick with cap space works for me.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

What a luxury
    [​IMG]

harold bingo and snowconeman22 like this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

not that I disagree , but how come we didn’t see green guarding more 1’s last year .

kpj / whoever we had was big enough to guard 2’s.

im not even agaisnt Thompson that much , just very scared of the risk . Of course, anyone we take could bust .

at 4

amen , black are 1’s .. both could bust
    Cam is a 2
    Ausar and maybe Hendricks are wing
    And Walker is a 4/5

I think with green and the other athletes we have ,we are going to try to make playing in transition a priority . Amen and black are both good there I think . Amen obviously has higher finishing potential.

sengun is really underrated in transition offense . But he’s prolly mucho terrible on D .

I have no clue what’s stones vision is , but I’m not very confident in it because the only thing he’s proved is he can put together 20 wins .

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I thought Orlando is praying for Amen, but anyway props for recognizing the past tense.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think a lot of teams may view the draft as having a pretty even dispersal of talent between picks 10 and 20. I also think that the looming spector of the second apron in the new CBA makes getting a lot of bargain-ish wing players like Tate and Martin appealing, as well. I wonder if obtaining the #10 pick is meant as a sweetner for a move up in the draft, or a Zion trade?

Thanks for the information, Nook.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

@Nook

They using your name lol

20. Nook

Nook Member

Why didn't we see Green cover more 1's last year? Who was the Rockets head coach...... Green played his best defensively against ones because he is quick enough to stick with them, his relative lack of size is less of an issue.

Agreed that KPJ is big enough to guard 2's, but often times he did not. I also don't think KPJ will be a long term PG, he is more of a 2-3.

There is real risk with Amen Thompson because of his poor shooting - but look at the history of the #4 pick, there are a lot of duds.

Cam has his own issues with how slowly he processes the game.

Deuce, BallaDoc, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.