1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

this... i completly agree with everything said... but his trade value is still lower then everything...

seems like a perfect buy-low oppurtunity for morey, and one he likes to make... especially since it helps open up more cap space for free agency........

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Rebuilding? 4th in the west and 7 game winning streak is rebuilding? Rockets have said many times they want to win now and making the playoffs in a priority. What indications have you seen that says we are rebuilding? Not saying we should get Kaman but I've seen nothing that says rebuilding mode.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree with you. We wouldn't be dealing for him and asking us to lead us to the championship. If he wasn't so injury prone during his big contract then I don't think people would think of him as garbage either. And your concern about dealing with Stern seems to be pretty accurate. He has the Hornets asking for the moon. Young talent, expiring contract, and draft picks for Kaman from the article xiki posted earlier is just ****ing nuts. On top of that I have no clue what we would even be trading for him.

4. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Agreed. He can actually play a little 4 as well, as the Clippers used him and Camby on the court together. This guy will do wonders for the bench, as he is a post that can score, rebound, and block shots. I would trade the 09ers + Bud/Lee/Dragic, and maybe even a 2nd round pick or two, as long as we can sign him for a reasonable contract next year [2-4 years at 8-10 million per year].

Both Dragic and Lee are getting paid this year and honestly, one of them HAS to go. We can be paying 5-7 million for bench players that are not post players that can score, rebound, and block shots. Those are the rare ones.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So is it him or Big AL? ;)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Man Big Al would be our starter, KaveMan would be our backup.

Totally different plays for either......for Al you give up just about anyone, for Kave, just the 09ers.

DD

7. Red&BlackPudman

The Caveman would be a good addition for the bench. I'd much rather pay a big man than our plethera of guards.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Dragic + a bunch of our 09' expirings should do it. I agree with those that say Kaman could really help our team finish the season strong, and it makes us a better team in the playoffs. I don't like the idea of getting rid of Dragic (or not having a suitable backup for Lowry), but it doesn't sound like we are going to offer him a deal, he's an UFA who's gonna get at least $4-5 mil per on the market so we are likely to lose him for nothing if we don't trade him. NO seems to really like him.

9. danoman

danoman Member

Looks like caveman may be looking for another decent contract and he will not get it playing 15-20 min per game, I dont think the rockets will overpay him considering Bear got 7mil per season.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both are injury prone though. Funny thing Kaman was an official allstar before Al Jefferson could become one

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Don't know about that. I've been thinking about Kaman for a little while now. Guy plays hard, he's a 7 footer, has very, very good post moves, very deceptive in the post like Scola but bigger, and is a very good defender. He's a starting center in this league and shhhhh, he's better than Dalembert.

I would be open to moving Scola for him if nothing else materializes for us and here's why:

1. 2 years younger
    2. 3 inches taller
    3. two-way player, is a very good defender and a very good post up player
    4. expiring contract gives us space to add two max contracts this summer.
    5. He's probably more attractive to Orlando than Scola is because of his age and his contract status. They would be able to get him and pay him big money, which he probably still deserves when healthy. Kaman at $8 million per season for 4 years is probably a better deal than Scola at his salary for 3 more seasons.

12. danoman

danoman Member

It could make sense, if we make deep playoff run with the size or Caveman and Bear, we could attract Deron Williams in the summer.

13. danoman

danoman Member

considering they wanted Lowry and/or Patterson I doubt they settle for scola's age and contract.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Given that Rockets already have Dalembert, my guess is that another team that really needs a center and would likely play Kaman big minutes would offer more for him. For Houston, Kaman is not a critical need, just something interesting to play with. In other words, an asset.

15. durvasa

durvasa Member

Scola might be the most difficult contract on the team to move. I don't think we can include him in a trade without also supplying young, coveted talent and/or draft picks.

16. sammy

sammy Member

I would move Scola for Kaman bc it helps us in the short and long-term. We would trim our salaries by a lot going into next season.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Don't think Scola is that bad despite slow start. Besides, the team can just amnesty him if they need cap room. No reason to give up assets to do this.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

We have to clear the deck of some of our assets though, we got too many, and if we could move Scola and his large contract for an expiring one in the Kave man, it might be worth it in the long run.

I love Scola, but I think he is no longer in the team's plans.

DD

19. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

This team without Scola wins 20 games.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So, only 8 more?

DD