1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets among teams interested in Chris Kaman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nadman89, Jan 27, 2012.

1. leebigez

leebigez Member

He's better than both because he's does something neither can do. Blks shots,rebound,score down low. Patterson is a jump shooter and so is lee. Neither can create a shot either. Kaman when healthy is a pretty good player, near all star player. Lee has had his chance to shine these last 2 games with martin out and has been average. Patterson is rounding into shape, but no post game nor moves down low is what he is. Giving up those guys is a win-win situaation.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like Kaman and want him on the team, but let's be realistic, he's very inefficient and hurts his team on offense because he takes a lot of shots he shouldn't. So what he brings on defense and on the glass is sabotaged by his iffy offense.

Patterson and Lee are efficient offensive players and they're at least average defensively. Basically if we traded them for Kaman we'd be trading one good bench piece for another... except Patterson and Lee are younger and Patterson is on a much better contract.

Let me make this as clear as possible for everyone:

1) Kaman, at this point in his career, is a bench player. A good bench player, but still... a bench player.
    2) You don't trade a starter (Scola) for a bench player unless you're looking to get out of a bad contract. All our starters have reasonable contracts.
    3) You don't subtract key, irreplaceable pieces (Patterson, Lee) from your bench rotation in order to improve your bench. That doesn't even make sense.
    4) You don't sell the farm for a bench player (Morris, D-Mo, first round picks, etc).

If we get Kaman it's as a rental backup center, and you should keep that in mind when thinking about possible trade scenarios to bring him here.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would trade Williams, Flynn, Thabeet and maybe a 2nd round pick for him - not more.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agree, add hill if you want so the salaries match
    we are giving a second round pick and a lot of expiring contracts, thats it
    take it or leave it NO

5. xiki

xiki Member

Kaman - - doesn't play then gets traded, in a contract year. And then gets "designated for assignment"? Should be showcasing, yes? Was hand picked by the Krewe King David. Thus, King of NOLA presumably wants lots, yet dealing with Demps makes sense - - how?

Sure, I used to have a fascination for CK. Would still like the Caveman at TheToyShop. For any/all of the '09ers + Bud. Best offer. This would even open a roster spot or two...or possibly because it would open a roster spot or two.

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

An other option is all ours 2009 + marcus morris

that creates more cap space for the next season

7. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

An other option is all ours 2009 + marcus morris

that creates more cap space for the next season

8. StevieCrossover

Rockets need not to deal with the nba. Don't want another trade block by Stern. Rockets don't waste your time.

9. xiki

xiki Member

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_19849080

But Golden State, badly in need of a center after Kwame Brown went down with a torn chest muscle, is not a likely suitor because the price is too high. The Hornets want expiring contracts, draft picks and young talent. The Warriors have just one significant expiring contract (Brown, whom they can't trade yet per league rules), have only second-round picks to offer, and aren't willing to part with any young talent.

Expirings, fine. Young, talented Bud, fine. Draft picks? Fahgddabouddit. Dealing with Sternly David? Fahgddabouddit.

10. emjohn

emjohn Member

Notice how you have to keep falling back on "career"?

I'm not arguing that he's always been bad. He was maybe a top 5 center at his peak. But not anymore. As we approach February 2012, Chris Kaman is HORRIBLE and is an albatross contract even if it is expiring. Dalembert is limited, but much better than he is right now, today.

And as noted in a previous post, Kaman has been acting out because he refuses to play a diminished (less than 30 mpg) role of the bench.

To give up either of our 2012 draft picks in a deal for him would be a disastrous move. Literally no gain, just loss. We'd be better off waiving all the '09ers if you're that desperate to dump them.

11. Pete the Cheat

why would you offer the Hornets anything of value for someone who they shelved for being fat and dissinterested?

Kaman got sat to develop young talent. we have a whole mess of that rotting on our bench, so swap it out and see if they might offer a lottery protected first for being nice enough to remove the Kaman stench from their lockerroom...

the Hornets are at a point where they might actually give T-Will and Thabeet some serious burn, because they are playing for a lottery ball at this point.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Patrick has shown a nice hook shot in the lane, this and last past season. I really think we haven't seen him post down low because that is supposed to be Scola's job, PPatt is more of the space the floor big.

Perhaps when he's truly 100% and gets his legs back we'll see the Patrick Patterson we saw through last year's season. I wouldn't trade him for Kaman though.

Courtney Lee is a good player, he's not a star, he can't take over a game, but he plays both sides of the floor effeciently. I wouldn't mind if we got rid of him and Thabeet but maybe they can throw a young guy in to sweeten the deal for us. :grin:

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I thought we were rebuilding... wtf?

Not only that but Chris Kaman is GARBAGE.

14. Pete the Cheat

and he smells like garbage...but it still a value move. the guy is decent when motivated, and gives you a real C off the bench.

but as I said, you only trade him for rotting garbage.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

No to dealing with dictator sperm. At all cost.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kaman would be a rental and salary dump. Why would we give anything of value for him? The problem is that we really don't have any bad contracts after this year. If we wanted him, we could easily just wait until the end of the season and sign him with our cap space.

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree 100% ... nice thinking!

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

thabeet+hill+bud+flynn+minn 2nd rd for kaman...

the salaries match up...

NOH gets expirings,young talent,and a pick...

doesnt really kill our bench at all just bud and hill which is whatever because we improve our backup big and calling up morris is worth developing him instead of bud...

thats likely the best deal they will get... they're asking price might be high but thats only because the market is thin... as time goes on and deadline approaches the asking price will drop...

i hate david stern more then the next guy...but if we can upgrade our bench/especially in the post/ i say do it...

19. Louka

Louka Member

All-Star?

Chris Kaman is really underrated on this board. His contract is the going rate for a center of his caliber. In the 2010 season he was an All-Star. He was injured for the vast majority of the 2011 season, and hasn't been given the time of day to get into "game shape" this year. Pretty amazing how under-appreciated he has been throughout his career. The red flags I see are dealing with Stern and how injury-prone he is.

20. xiki

xiki Member

Kaman - - injured, doesn't play then gets traded: in a contract year.
    And then gets "designated for assignment"? CK should be showcasing his skills, but instead is homecasing them.

So, who is doing the over/underrating? Stern, that's who.