1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets add new assistant coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

@Nook appreciate the insights--as always! I actually like the blend of this staff way better for Silas than last year's group. Hollins and Lucas will be the old school in your face guys that will hold each player accountable. Abdelfattah has some experience working with Porter, JC, Garuba and Nix in the G-League and was successful running that team. His demeanor, positive experience with those guys and our Vipers should blend well with that group. Batiste's European time and development backgrounds will bring another dynamic to the staff.

I liked Weaver, but wasn't a fan of Horny or Diop. Adding Hollins certainly levels up this staff and brings the additional intensity these kids are going to need to get better and up their games. We'll also see if Porter can take the heat and we need that before any extension talks.

ajc123, saleem, Nook and 4 others like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#FireConductor

Easy likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Did someone call for an orchestral conductor?

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I feel very uneasy about tying up too much cap space on KPJ. Some other team should do it.

kjayp, Possum, durvasa and 1 other person like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sign me up!

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's all music in my ears. :D

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  7. myronm

myronm Contributing Member

But if Green was a bust, who would get all of the blame?

Nook likes this.
  8. what

what Member

The players will never go for it.
    Hollins is a demanding cuss, he nearly strangled Jerryd Bayless, he kept a missed jump shot from Greivis Vasquez for like two years on his phone and never played him after that.

Hollins is, shall we say, no nonsense. He needs a special type of player to play for him.
    He was perfect for Zach, Tony and Mike (cause mike never did much wrong), he and Marc Gasol would scream at each other during the game, lol.

#108 what, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Nook and don grahamleone like this.
  9. what

what Member

Enjoy my friends;

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

@Nook was not joking. I am terrified for kpj's life. At the same time if you can perform under Hollins then he would have truly earned his extension next year.

Also feels like Hollins will love Jabari.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Lionel Hollins is going to make Silas cry.

12. Joerex Jamisola

This is a nice interview. I love this coach! Grit and grint Htown!

13. Nook

Nook Member

The general manager?

I understand what you are getting at, and at the end of the day - if sometime soon the Rockets start winning, Stephen Silas will get a lot of credit (as will Stone).

Silas is one of the most liked people around the league and seems by all accounts to be a very good person.

I wanted Silas to be the head coach over MDA back when they were the finalists.

I don’t even have an issue some fans have when it comes to coaching, I don’t expect Silas to know more about coaching defense than his top assistant and not really know more than his top offensive assistant. I am fine with a coach basically being a CEO like Kerr in Golden State.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

k, FINALLY.
    I'm so glad we got three quality assistant coach on board, they could also been served as backup HC behind silas, that means, whenever silas runs outta steam midway, better candidates right there to replace him. Good job!

imo, Rockets long should have its own players/coaching staff 'farm system', thanks to 2020-2022 GSW success, which really got many teams inspired, lectured them how to run a successful franchise .
    (it's all Alexander's fault, he never allowed this team start from scratch, wht a greedy mean boss.)

TimDuncanDonaut and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Loved everything he said except part - no zone ever.

Need to be creative depending on team.

Especially in playoffs.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Great interview. The part about being angry at the world when he was young, Hollins is either going to break kpj or they are really going to resonate with each other. It is so obvious that all of kpj's issues stem from being mad at the world for losing his father. Rooting for Hollins to get through to him. Forget basketball, just for this young man's life

AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Maybe hiring Hollins means that we will no longer be babying KPJ after his temper tantrums.

AroundTheWorld and RasaqBoi like this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Between the off season additions of Jabari, Eason, Hollins, Batiste, and with Lucas, Tate still on the team, the Rockets are really building a tough nosed, no nonsense defensive identify.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Relax, no one is doing it right now. Enjoy the ride. KPJ is working very hard in practice. He didn't take 4th of July off.

ajc123 and AroundTheWorld like this.