1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets actively shopping Luis Scola (UPDATE: Rockets, Nets talks fell apart)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 30, 2012.

1. teebone21

teebone21 Member

because nets dont care now. they want joe johnson and dwill. Dwight is a headache as clearly seen by all GM's

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

nbatv reports nets only have 6 players on contract with 28 mill in cap space. WOW

3. opticon

opticon Member

Lebron wrote the book on how to opt out and still keep your bird rights but Howard could not keep his mouth shut and and make Orlando think they had a chance to resign him.

Not once did you hear a peep from Cleavland about trading Lebron and they knew full well he was going to opt out. You know why? He gave them hope that he might stay so they did there best to not piss him off by putting trade speculation out there.

Howard could have done the same thing but he was impatient.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Agreed, although I'm not sure he thought the Nyets would trade their guaranteed top 10 draft pick for a Gerald Wallace rental :grin:

5. Fullcourt

New CBA, new rules. Makes it much harder to pull a LeBron.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Morey fails again? Anybody know what the snag was that help up the completion of this deal?

7. Fullcourt

I would imagine it being the Nets exploring other options. They have a lot on their plate right now.

8. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

You seem to love to see Morey fail, which is something that I don't understand. At all.

On a side note, people are vastly underrating the value of Kevin Martin and Luis Scola on this forum.

Although Martin had a bad year, he is still a proven scorer and the value of veterans don't just go down the drain unless it's a career threatening injury. Granted, most of his value at the present is due to his 13 million expiring contract, but any talk of amnestying him is just plain nonsense.

With regards to Scola, the contract that he signed 2 years ago was reasonable, although not a "cheap contract." Even now the contract isn't really a "bad contract." Proven, consistent low post scoring threats are scarce in the league, and are very difficult to acquire. The fact that there are teams willing to trade expiring contracts and draft picks for him shows that Scola has positive, not negative value. In addition, Scola is proven to be extremely durable has a style of play that depends little on declining physical attributes and athleticism.

Fans don't always have an accurate picture of asset value, and you gotta be thankful that we're not in charge of making decisions for the team.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

You're wrong... I simply asked a question. If somebody points out his inability to close out deals, cash his "assets" in for a high lottery pick, or trade for a star, they're stating facts. It's a disturbing trend for a gm that, in my view, gets a lot of unwarranted praise with little to no results to show for it. Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to answer my question in your dissertation thread. You answered everybody else. I hope you're not avoiding my question, because I think it's an important one.

10. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Good point...so, so true. The white man that truly can't jump yet somehow nabs 8-10 night in, night out...etc.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Saying for the Rockets, "Morey got close!"

12. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

This past season he was averging a LOT less rebounds than that

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That both teams save a lot of cap space by waiting until after July 11th?

14. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Big changes last year, too. Honestly, 8-10 is me being a homer but he's got it in him despite his lack of hops...all I was sayin.

15. Marsarinian

Just did. :p

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bima or CH, why won't the rockets put together a deal 4yr 44m for lopez to force the nets hand? If the rockets made that kind of offer now, the nets would have 3 days to match right? If they match, then the nets couldn't trade lopez to a team for 1 yr without his permission. If they decline, the rockets would have a 24 yr old all star caliber big.

17. Fullcourt

I would imagine the Rockets don't want to pay $11mil/year for Brook Lopez

18. Marsarinian

Maybe the Rockets don't want to commit to that type of money on a injury prone, slow footed big man who can't defend or rebound? Not saying he's a bad player, but the value of Lopez around the league doesn't seem to be that high. Also, why would Lopez not give permission to be traded?

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Would Lopez sign a contract to 11/year?

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If having a center grab 6 rebounds a game and play soft defence costs $11 million a year, they may as well play Donatas a 1/3 of that and nab Asik and Camby. Lopez is a fine offensive player, but this team needs rebounders and rim protectors.