1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Thomas Robinson; Morris traded to Phoenix; Patterson, Douglas, Aldrich to Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 20, 2013.

?

Do you like the Thomas Robinson-Patrick Patterson trade?

1. Yes

91.5%
  2. No

8.5%
  1. ejarts

ejarts Member

Oh yeah, no doubt its a good trade but were so stacked with really good PF rookies. TRobs ceiling could be just as good as Smith can get but its better to develop our rookies and get Smith, a proven PF, good defense. Although their difference is shooting, TRob has a decent stroke. But we need what Smith can already do good for our playoff run. Either we keep him or not, its good. The problem is we alreadyhave good rookies to develop.

2. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

terrible move IMO. 2PAt had real potential with us. same with TD. aldrich should have been gone. but i dont know if it was worth him. TD held our offense down fairly well when lin has his off nights which is almost a 50/50. i dont know if i want to just have BEV to count on.

3. ejarts

ejarts Member

its funny cause of all the trade rumors in the league, Morey and McHale said no trades and rockets were the only one to make a trade.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sorry TD as Tony Douglas... they guy can't get much better

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I definitely believe you're smarter than Daryl Morey and 87 percent of the people on this forum.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

:confused:

7. Charlatan

Charlatan Member

If we're talking about measurements, it might be useful to compare Thomas Robinson to, say, LaMarcus Aldridge. Robinson does have a good wingspan, but his standing reach is still a little short. On the other hand, he's got a better vert, he's stronger and faster. All told, there's no physical reason to think he can't play the 4, but he's not an ideal physical specimen for the position.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I expected a punch line, wtf.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are still a little more than 13 hours til' the trade deadline. I'm sure there will be more moves. Hell, the Rockets may make more moves.

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Watching the post-game interviews, you can easily tell Jeremy Lin took these trades the hardest.

Dude looks like he wants to cry.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I believe Morey said he would not make a big trade but look to trade for expirings (Garcia/honeycutt are somewhat that) and draft picks (2nd round). The 5th pick of this years draft is just a great bonus

12. ahhh

ahhh Member

Dude still has scrub mentality. He thinks in the shoes of everyone waived, sent down to the D-league, being traded, etc.

13. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

Mchale: WFT, after a sleep, half of the team changed

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

get back to that when the deadline expires

15. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shed a tear or two like Mook and then he will be enjoying playing alongside
    2 allstars and make him another allstar candidate in 2 years

17. Spooner

Spooner Member

From real gm.

Reuniting the Morris twins marked an unusual starting shot to the trade deadline and was immediately followed by a much bigger deal also involving the Rockets. Considering the fact that the trades were done concurrently (and likely will become a three-way when it hits the league office) I will evaluate it as such.

The Rockets' Perspective

I had been critical of Daryl Morey and the Rockets brass since the Draft because they had a stockpile of not that special power forward and not enough time to play them all. Well, that just got emphatically clarified. Losing Toney Douglas and Cole Aldrich makes them slightly shallower at those spots for this season, but means nearly nothing to the team moving forward. As such, it becomes a simpler trade for the future.

Effectively moving Patrick Patterson for Thomas Robinson (and some pieces) absolutely makes a ton of sense for a team that has had plenty of time to evaluate Patterson and his fit with what they have. Robinson has a ton of potential and possesses the additional benefit of two extra years of team control (Patterson hits restricted free agency in 2014 and Robinson in 2016). Losing Marcus Morris for a 2013 second round pick may make people balk but the net moves save the team about $1.5 million for next season, marking a necessary sacrifice for a team in the free agency sweepstakes this summer.

On top of that, I am intrigued to see what Houston does with Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt, who could absolutely contribute to a team set at the starting perimeter spots but lacking somewhat when it comes to swingman depth.

All in all, Houston made a smart trade of Patrick Patterson for Thomas Robinson while picking up some interesting assets and some valuable salary space for the 2013-14 season in the process. Well done.

Grade for Houston: A-

The Kings' Perspective

I like Patrick Patterson but worry that the difference in years under rookie deals could end up hurting Sacramento relatively soon. After all, having a player closer to his peak makes remarkably little sense for a team who should not be looking to win the rest of this season and likely cannot make much noise next year. He could help try [emphasis on try] to stabilize former Kentucky teammate DeMarcus Cousins, but that is not enough of a benefit to outweigh the other costs. Now is far too early to give up on Thomas Robinson, especially when doing so for a guy who helps them more at a less valuable time in the team’s progression.

The other issue I have with the deal is that Cole Aldrich will be an Unrestricted Free Agent this summer by virtue of his option year being declined, while Toney Douglas will be Restricted but is not that good and plays a position where the Kings actually do not need help from a rotation player. Trading a swingman like Garcia who can actually shoot could be a problem as well though it’s not too big a deal.

Grade for Sacramento: C-

The Suns' Perspective

Trading a solid second round pick for a talented enough guy like Marcus Morris is fine. I personally love early seconds (since they are so cheap), but Morris has enough time on his deal and fit with Phoenix to make it a reasonable choice.

Grade for Phoenix: B

18. gsmiths_s

gsmiths_s Member

+1

Especially when you tink Parsons was a second round pick.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Let me start off by saying.. Patterson, Douglas, and Aldrich will never get you a #5 pick in any draft.

Can't believe over 200 people so far, didn't like this deal. Seriously, what's not to like?

- We got Thomas Robinson who was the #5 pick of this season's draft. IMO, he has a higher upside and trade value than Patterson.. Patterson and Morris combined even.

- With this trade (including Morris deal), HOU went from having max cap room (w/o trades) of $15.44M to $16.42M (according to BIMA)

To sum it up, with these trades, we got the #5 pick of this year's draft, add a high 2nd round pick and increased our off-season cap room by $1mil. And we somehow cleared our glut at the power forward spot to boot.

In short, SAC got fleeced by Morey, yet again.

20. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

2Pat had potential? This is his third year in the league and the only viable part of his game is his mid-range jumper. Patterson is and always be a role player with a distinct lack of hustle, rebounding and defense. It is no coincidence that the Rockets have played their best basketball of the season during that winning streak with Patterson out with injury.