1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Acquire Rights to David Andersen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 14, 2009.

1. tobepg

tobepg Member

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I was looking at it more from a cost-cutting perspective. The Rockets can save 3.5-4 million next summer by an effective exchange of Scola for Andersen, I believe. Perhaps that's one of the options they are seriously looking at.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I'm not sure what the Rockets are doing: looks like a patchwork approach to keep the boat afloat, not so much to speed into the post season. Likely, Les is financially committed to Yao whether he can walk or not. He may also be in love with TMac. Remember the "we will continue to build around Yao and TMac" nonsense of a year ago. So, we go for 30-40 wins this coming season, go to the lottery, and then....fire the coach who will be blamed for the fact that both TMac and Yao cannot beat Rod Strickland up the court. And after that Les will say, "we will continue to build around TMac and Yao when they complete their surgeries and rehab." Continue to enjoy this past season, relish it, might be the best we get around here for awhile. Good luck on selling tickets Uncle Les.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know how "effective" that will be on the court. We've seen what Luis can do, a hell of a lot... Andersen is a huge question mark. I understand you are looking at it from the financial end, but the idea is to win games, isn't it?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes. And if we can acquire a better player next summer with that extra 3.5-4 million of cap space, maybe we do end up being a better team.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Still a pure hypothetical. Scola has shown what he can do. Why not use some of that "cap space" to give him an extension? Right now, I would rather figure out how to keep him, a big if, rather than figure out the best way to be rid of him.

7. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

If we are really targetting Chris Bosh in 2010 then I think a possible strategy is to pick up Andersen now, as a hustle player at the C position who also gives us height. Then at PF is our superstar. That way both the C and PF positions are set as far as starters go (if Yao stays or not).

It seems like we will invariably have the SF position set too with Ariza, and perhaps Battier will stay with us. The only questions that remain are PG (I have no idea how long Brooks's and Lowry's contracts run) and the SG position, although if Jermaine Taylor works out, we'll have a good scorer at that position.

Sound interesting?

8. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

The main idea of the first paragraph was meant to be: Scola will be worth a lot of money when it's time to renegotiate his contract, so we could maybe do a sign and trade for Bosh, or something along those lines... Can anyone help me out with these logistics?

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

anderson has nowhere near the offensive skills of scola....

for me i have very minimal expectations for him, if he gets more than garbage time court time i will be impressed

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well Smegg, you should know a bit about the guy. I'm hoping he can help us. Heaven knows we needed a guy with his size.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

depends what you definition of helps is

his offense is not as good as bogut, i think he will struggle to create his own shot, my memory of him versus US at olympics was that he got into foul trouble, i'm thinking maybe a slower zaza but i am happy to be proved wrong

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its starting up, a frontcourt version of "proven" Wafer vs unproven Jermaine Taylor debate

:eek:

13. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

It is best not to expect to much. Let David play his game without pressure. I doubt He gets only garbage time. His skills are sufficient enough to earn him more then garbage time. Anyway, who else will play center for the team? :D

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I am seriously trying to contemplate what "garbage time" at the center position for us will be next year... it hurts.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah, it hurts really,really bad.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Economic times are bad,but the likelihood of getting a player who can have a bigger impact than Luis for 3.5- 4 M is slim. The other variable is how well Andersen does. That remains to be seen,I have my doubts that he can do so well that DM will think of him as a Scola replacement.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I told ya, Griffin wasn't a lock for ROY. Injury is the #1 factor. :p