1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Acquire Rights to David Andersen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 14, 2009.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

I certainly hope Morey has contacted the Spurs about Ian Mahinnmi. If there's an inexpensive way to get him in a red jersey, we should definitely do it...

Andersen? Blech...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh heck no...I watched him with the Toros...YECK !!!

DD

3. MONON

MONON Member

WOW!! We finally have someone taller than 6-9 available for training camp!! :eek: And he looks like he knows how to play the game! :D

I'm officially jumping on the bandwagon.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

All the Morey doubters that were talking junk earlier this offseason should read forums like this....WE ARE LUCKY

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I hate crap like this....it is about STYLE of play, not skin color.

I guess Mike Harris and Von Wafer are suddenly white guys.

Never liked Novak that much please, but liked the rest...you know why? STYLE OF PLAY....picks and rolls, back cuts, smart players.....it has NOTHING to do with skin color and it is offensive to me that this kind of crap gets posted.....

I like Budinger because he moves without the ball, and passes well, I am not impressed with Taylor because his shot is odd, and he doesn't move off the ball he waits for it to get to him before he makes his move.

To me it is about STYLE....I like the Sacremento style of basketball....and am looking forward to it this upcomming year...very exciting.

Style over flash...BBall IQ over dunks 100% of the time for me.

DD

#325 DaDakota, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  6. tman0704

tman0704 Contributing Member

Agree with Aussie Rocket. Handy backup 5 with range, but is soft on the defensive end. He will be murdered down there. 10-15 minute guy off the bench normally, not a starter in NBA circles. Could be wrong however.

7. Chiron

Chiron Member

Anderson is the Dirk "Diggler" aka "Nowitzki" of centers.

8. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

His highlights demonstrate a variety of impressive post moves. I LOVE his footwork. He looks like a very talented offensive player that will help a team desperately seeking offensive talent.

Even if his defense and rebounding isn't great like many have been already saying, think about the value of his range taking the opposing center away from the basket, allowing Brooks/Lowry, along with our other guards to penetrate with limited help defense. Plus, we always have Chuck when we absolutely need a defensive force in the paint, and perhaps we'll get additional help with Dorsey in the front court.

This very well could be another international gem Morey has acquired like Scola.

If I HAD to compare him to a current NBA player, I'd say he's a hybrid of Brook Lopez and Brad Miller. He has Lopez' talented post-game and footwork, and has Miller's outside range. Great fit for what Adelman wants to do with this new team sans Yao.

And when McGrady comes back, he'll realize there are multiple go-to options and plays. The pick and roll/pop with T-Mac and Andersen/Scola/Landry/Battier/Budinger would be fun to watch and difficult to guard. When Yao comes back, Andersen can morph into another spot up shooting threat.

Morey is God, and thank you Les for once again dishing out the $$$.

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

DD,

While Ian has been inconsistent, there is no denying his upside. The Spurs organization has been high on him for a couple of years now. The word is that they want him to stabilize his weight, then move over to the pros.

My point is that this is an opportune year to develop players. Andersen's ceiling is that of a backup center. Why spend anything on that kind of player? Why not take a flyer on someone who has youth on their side, and at least MIGHT become a starting caliber center?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How much is Derek Andersen gonna get paid?

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Now trade Yao and Tmac for LeBron. :)

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

DD why you liking the trade???... we will use some of the MLE to sign David Andersen and the rest on our rookies...I think that leaves out somebody... Von Wafer!

LOL

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

There is enough for everyone...not sure much of the MLE will go to Taylor and Buddinger....right now, Buddinger looks like someone that will get a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option...and Taylor looks like maybe a one year league minimum with a 2nd year team option....just my opinion......and then you give Anderson $2 million and Von $2 million and you are done !

DD

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

people knew scola was the real deal though. very few international players suprise anyone when making the NBA, especially a guy at 29. usually you know what you're getting when it comes to international players.

i think he'll provide a similar contribution that rasho nesterovic provides, a big body who can shoot. he's like a mix between rasho and brad miller.

15. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Is this guy like a stronger Andrea Bargnani?

16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If we are getting somebody, that's going to be a starting caliber center. They will leave for a team that will give them the money and the starting position. They will not want to ride pine for 34 minutes a game. That means Yao will have to be traded.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

This guy is a perfect backup center to Yao and an occasional starter, he is Brad Miller like in the way he plays.

This is exciting to me because for the first time they are going to run Rick Adelman's read and react system...and I LOVE that type of basketball.

DD

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who do you suggest that has a higher upside than this Andersen fellow?

19. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

If DD is excited, Im excited =]

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hollinger on Andersen (you need to be an Insider subscriber to see full article):

Hollinger on Andersen in the 2008 Olympics:
    David Andersen
    The Hawks own his rights, but the Australian forward is playing overseas at least one more year. Unlike the rest of his overly physical teammates, Andersen's softness is a major issue and one that came to light repeatedly in this tournament. His one good game came in a win over Russia.

And this is what he said about him before the draft:
    David Andersen (Hawks) projects as a halfway decent pick-and-pop 4, but I've never heard anybody in Atlanta talk about him. Ever. Truth is he's probably not good enough to bother buying him out and bringing him over, and if there was a time to do so, it passed several years ago.