1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets Acquire Rights to David Andersen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jul 14, 2009.

1. spikejames

spikejames Member

There is some pretty solid ground between "savior" and "bust". Seriously doubt Andersen will be either. I'll be really happy if he works out well enough to split the minutes evenly. He clearly has a nice mid-range and trey, if he can release it quickly enough for the NBA. Centers will have to come out to guard him, clearing out the paint. We will be quicker with him, good for RA's offense.

So now we have a center. We had none. Don't worry, be happy...

2. yellow_puff

yellow_puff Member

woohoo...nice pickup cant wait to see this guy play...a mobile big man...i like that..

3. texascityman31

At first I didnt think of tis trade as a big deal, but after watching his game, he kind of looks like a poor mans Dirk. Do you guys think we are gonna go cheap this offseason and try to make a splash in the 2010 offseason? Or are we gonna try to make a big trade for our superstar this offseason?

4. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

Yes, this made my day much better! I'm glad we finally got another center

5. jasonh42

jasonh42 Member

Good move, pick up a 7 footer for a 2nd round pick and cash.

6. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Hmm, I like it. He could co-exist with Yao too if Yao did come back.

I'm relieved that we finally got a center on the roster too

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Durvasa, really, I hope he pans out and given the situation the rockets were in, I guess its the best they could do. My question is, why half ass the rebuild? The history or jump shooting,perimeter international guys isn't great. Not to mention he's 29 already so he has no upside. I'm just saying that at this stage, they would be better suited taking flyers on younger guys. If this is the kind of guy you want, why not sign rasho,oberto, or guys like that? If you want a stop gap, get one that already has adjusted to the nba, do you agree? I'm just going to let it ride so I don't sound like a whiner. Good for the squad, we have a big shooter and i'm thru with it.

8. conquistador#11

Lol you guys make it seem like DD is a spokesman for the aryan brotherhood.

We have someone tall to guard the basket now and on offense, from what I've seen, he can handle the adleman system.

9. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

For the money and potential it is a solid pickup. It just wasn't the beef we all would have wanted but times are lean. He will have an adjustment to make so his first may be like Scola's first year, at best. Who knows, maybe the two of them will match up well together and be a tandem to reckon with down low. His shot looks good in the video, and he was pretty active down low, He just won't be low post dominant. He will have to play like Gasol and Scola with movement to get his points in the paint.

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Scola never averaged a double-double in europe, he actually never averaged more then seven rebounds a game in any of his seasons, but we know Scola is a good rebounder.

Rebounding averages in Europe are a lot lower due to higher FG% and shorter game lengths. Anderson also plays on the perimeter alot more and averaged less minutes then Scola, so you have some reasons for his low rebounding numbers. Its pretty hard to predict how many rebounds Anderson could average in the NBA, but it looks like he is a hard worker and has the height to put up decent rebounding numbers.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I know almost nothing about the player, so I'm not going to argue that he'll turn out just fine. I have no idea if this was a good move or not, but I can talk about what I hope will happen. I am familiar with some of the players you like (Petro, Boone), and I have a pretty good sense for what their ceiling would be with our team. With Andersen, there's at least the potential that he turns out to be a very good offensive player (as opposed to known offensive mediocrities like Petro, Boone, Rasho, Oberto) -- the type of player at the C position few teams have, and that excites me. It at least gives me something to look forward to this season.

He's 29, but as a guy who doesn't really rely on athleticism anyways I'm not so worried about his age. A player like him can play at a consistent level into his mid-30s. And if he pans out as a legit offensive weapon, he'd be a very good role playing big to have on the squad for the next 4-5 years. You've asked for that perimeter-shooting C for a while, you've written at length on the importance of having a pick-and-pop C. I've agreed with you on that, and its why I'm looking forward to seeing what this guy can do for us this season. Having a center who is versatile offensively would be a nice change, and it could be very interesting for our offense.

1 person likes this.
  12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Anyone else think dude looks like Pete Chilcutt?

13. rockets_fanatic

He is a good shooter, and has some good moves in the low block. He is a hustle guy, like Scola. However, he isn't very athletic.

14. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

As many as pointed out, his stats aren't that impressive. The video tape I was actually impressed with. There are certain things you can't teach that are valuable, and he has a lot of them:
    +Athletic for a big guy (watching him move and drive surprised me)
    +Great shooting touch- he looked like he possessed a shooting stroke similar to yaos.
    +Variety of low post moves (ok this can be taught but he already has quite a few)
    +Being Aggressive

What I am worried about him transfering to the nba (aside from the obvious change in speed and style of the game):

Defense- he isn't used to defending nba players
    Endurance- If he plays for us, he is going to have to play major minutes for 82 games (plus playoffs)

and most importantly, attacking the boards, chasing after loose balls, being a Luis Scola kinda guy- we need him to do that.

From the little I saw, I like this kid more than a lot of the unathletic 7 footers people are throwing out there on other threads that I believe are all complete garbage.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs, I just hope we can win 30-40 games.

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Reading this comment on one of the Hawks forum, made me feel good inside.
    "Well this is certainly not a move that thrills me, but I'll wait to reserve judgment until I see what we do with the extra cash. And wow it must be nice to have the Rockets owners! First they purchased 3 high 2nd round picks and now they basically bought Andersen from us.

Damn you Belkin!"

Some of the other comments were funny.

" I would have liked to get a player out of it. Maybe Andersen and 2nd for Landry or something. "

"At least get Dorsey in return. "

Link

17. 2rings

2rings Member

Can you say Brad Miller? Its Morey creating the roster to support the RA system. Seems like a good pick up. When you consider what we gave up for him, has the potential to be a steal.

18. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

haha!! I thought that too when I saw the video. A skinnier version of Chilly Pete. Brings back some old Rockets memories.

19. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Jesus :rolleyes:

How about a homeless bums nutsacks version of Dirk.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

This had better not be out starting center. Why not just sign Fab Oberto? Would be about the same amount of $, and whatever future considerations and cash we're going to have to send to ATL could've been kept. Has Pops Mensa-Bonsu been signed yet?

As a backup on last year's team? Sure. But as long as Mac, Yao, and Artest are not on this team, and we have not found adequate talent replacements for them, we are, by definition, lottery bound. So why not just bring in someone a) younger, that will grow with the team and/or b) someone with at least the potential to develop into an nba starting center?

The only way I see this being acceptable is if we are still in the hunt for Amare, thus relegating Anderson to the pine. Even then, I'd prefer Oberto, but it would at least make it palatable. Getting Stoudamire (or someone comparable) would signal that we're making a serious effort to compete this year. This move just looks like we're trying to tread water this year, which is a complete waste of time.

Use this year to develop our talent!!! Acquiring plateaud players while waiting for injury prone stars to maybe recover is absolutelĂ˝ foolish.