1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 8-2 in games with 20+ turnovers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A New Age, Feb 12, 2014.

1. A New Age

A New Age Contributing Member

so says Wex:

high risk, high reward? :eek: or just very sloppy, and very lucky?

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

you know that's an interesting question. I've often thought the amount of turnovers, (like our high scoring last year) was due to the style the Rockets play. I do wonder if it's not as much to do with carelessness as many of us might make it out to be.

3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I think its more of more possession more turnovers.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

Kinda depends on how the majority of the turnovers come about.

If its because we are pushing the hell out of the ball on the break and fumbling passes away or throwing it too far, thats what I consider a "good" turnover.

If its because we are playing iso ball, and dribbling the ball off someone's foot, or traveling on a first step, or driving into the lane with no plan or jumping in the air with nobody to pass to (ahem Lin) that's a "bad" turnover.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

It means that even though the Rockets are bad with TOs, many opposing teams can't capitalize on it well enough.

6. NotChandlerParsons

Little column A, little column B.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Fast paced teams turn the ball over a lot, it means we were running well.

1 person likes this.
  8. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Not necessarily. We have a better record with many turnovers compared to fewer. My guess is that the points per possession on turnovers should be about the same as the points per possession of the game. I haven't looked at the stats but I think it has to do with the style of game that we play that results in higher turnovers but a higher FG%. This could be do to passing more, driving more, posting up more, taking less undeveloped shots and generally being more aggressive. But really we are all just guessing without looking at each individual game, who we played, how we played them, what type of plays we ran, the style of play, etc, etc.

9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

That's at least 200 turnovers, crazy numbers especially if we won 80% those games. If any other team turns the ball over 20 times, it a sure lost.

I definitely think our pace and efficiency really help us overcome our turnovers. Tonight we only shot like 70 shots to the Wizards near 100. Us taking more efficient shots and thus scoring more points with less shots really helps when there is such a big gap in attempted FGs.

But we tend to be more aggressive when we have high turnover games. But tonight, I counted at least 10 turnovers where they totally could have been avoided. Horrible passes no one should make, stepping on the baseline, traveling, all those can be avoided pretty easily.

Credit to the Wizards who have players such as Ariza, Wall and Beal who are long and athletic enough to get steals. And lately we have been taking much better of the ball.

10. WNBA

WNBA Member

18 assists with 24 TO + tons of shot clock violation? That is just bad offense.

11. rawool

rawool Member

I'd have to see what games they were. I would assume the games we won, we had a large lead at one point and would have blown them out if it weren't for the high TO's.

12. texansalltheway

Luck is all, but luck is what you need in a long nba season

13. texansalltheway

Can't comprehend how the rockets give up 20 point leads in a matter of minutes

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Aren't the shot clock violations part of the 24 TO?

16. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

That seriously is a crazy statistic. Now we're 3rd in the West

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

hahah. exactly

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think high turnover numbers are a natural effect of trying to get layups at the rim or open 3 point shots instead of settling for mid-range jumpers. If you take long range twos all game long, you'll have low turnovers, but less points.

1 person likes this.
  19. Zergling

Zergling Member

The fact that our offense can still for the most part make up for our high turnover rate completely justifies the extreme nature of our offensive philosophy.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Actually we had 26 TOs

Shot clock and 3 second violations count as team turnovers

Here's one for you, Houston had 64 FGA, Washington had 97, they actually had more than 50% more, lol