1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 23-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

SRPs are not worthless, but they are next to worthless. They are, at most, sweeteners that are being exchanged more recently because they are all most contenders have (aside from players). No team is taking players they don't like as much just because another team is offering more SRPs. Again, they are worth something, but I'm guessing most teams would rather have even a low RFP over 3 - 4 SRPs.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd maybe challenge you a little bit on the drafting record.

-Lets be honest.... Stone isn't likely involved in the day to day scouting efforts. If there is evidence of the contrary I'll be happy to retract this statement
    -Taking Jalen, Jabari, and Amen are decisions that anyone who follows the draft as a fan would have been armed with the information to make that selection
    -Tari, and Cam are selections where many teams passed on lottery talent, and it would have been crazy to not take them when they fell that low

but here's the big point:

-TyTy, Garuba, and Josh Christopher were not only wasted first round picks, but because Stone actually gave away 2nd rounders to get rid of them for no reason, these wasted picks are compounded.

You really cannot separate bad selections with the poor asset mgmt in his case. You compound this big whiff here with the poor asset mgmt of the first and 2nd Oladipo trade situations (exclude the most recent THIRD Oladipo trade situation), the MULTIPLE mismanaged trade situations with Eric Gordon, and now the mismanagement of JeSean Tate's ability to net us draft capital.... and yes the asset mgmt portion of this story does outweighs the draft history, but not be much when you look at the linkage in some of these cases.

The big win here for Stone obviously is the Sengun trade and selection.... However that selection is undermined by the organization up until this year signaling at every turn how they really weren't big believers in him. I mean just this last Summer they traded all of those former first round picks to get a starting center and give him a massive payday.

Is Stone a bad GM.... Not really because he does do some good things, and can make some crafty moves from time to time. But boy if an upgrade is out there to elevate our front office to much more consistently make the type of moves like most other teams make consistently now.... Tillman shouldn't think twice in moving on from Stone. However I don't think he'll do that because obviously the goal here is for Patrick Fertitta to run the organization sooner rather than later.... unfortunately.

As long as Tillman is owning this team, I don't think this organization will be run as well as most NBA franchises. However it wont be the worst in the league. Kind of like Tillman's other franchises. We'll probably be the Salt Grass Steakhouse of the NBA, and Rafael Stone is the chef in the kitchen who wants to think he's Bobby Flay when really he's more Salt Bae.

#582 dobro1229, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Houston77

Supporting Member

With all due respect, posts like this annoy the crap out of me. Yes, if you downplay Stone’s good drafting, you can make it seem like anyone can do it. I mean, do you hear yourself? Sengun, Tari, and Cam were obvious takes? Then why the hell didn’t any other team take them before us? Hindsight is 20/20.

Yes, he missed on a few late round picks, but that’s the draft. Overall, he drafted six really strong pieces over three drafts. That’s incredibly hard to do. You can talk about “scouting” all you want, but at the end of the day, Stone makes the call.

There are many reasons to criticize Stone. His drafting isn’t one of him. I could easily make the argument that he’s been the best drafter over the prior three drafts.

peleincubus likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely not next to worthless. An example of worthless is Tate on this current team

5. Houston77

Supporting Member

No, those players did not go for SRPs. They went for either younger players OR contracts that allowed teams to get under the tax. SRPs are sweeteners. They are rarely the reason trades happen, and a RFP will always trump multiple SRPs.

Again, not worthless, but maybe worth a penny or so. FRPs, good players, young prospects, and good contracts will always be far, far more valuable.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

they did go for SRPs because the players Bima listed that they were traded for in the actual trades are worthless. the real prize were the picks that the teams traded for

SRP's are way more valuable now than you're trying to believe and they give teams additional options. that's the point

7. Houston77

Supporting Member

That's just not true. For example, the Pacers wanted Marcus Morris Sr. because they flipped him for Doug McDermott, a guy with connections to the Pacers and who is far more likely to resign. Hornets' fans are excited about the Mann flier.

The rest are meh moves, which makes sense as to why only SRPs were involved. Kelly Olynyk and Ochai Agbaji have actual value, which is why a RFP was involved as opposed to a ton of SRPs (which I'm sure they could have gotten had they wanted them).

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

marcus morris stinks at this point. he isn't a reliable rotational player. i'll be surprised if he's even a nightly rotational player for Ind. they got rid of hield bc they now have siakim who will command the ball. and now toppin and mathurin will be their main guys off the bench so looks like morris will be glued to that bench.

Actually Morris is expected to be bought out. so yeah he is worthless

were supposed to care what hornets fans are excited about? okc dumped him bc he's useless to them. hornets are starting over. they need picks to build their currency

9. Houston77

Supporting Member

Whatever you say. Rebuilding teams like to take on projects like Mann all the time. He certainly showed promise as a rookie. I doubt that deal is done without Mann.

Regardless, look at the Kelly Olynyk + Ochai Agbaji deal. The Jazz could have easily split those guys and traded them in separate transactions to net a ton of SRPs. But they didn't, because a single, crappy RFP is more valuable than a ton of SRPs. That's the overarching point -- not that SRPs are worthless, but that RFPs will always be way more valuable.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean rebuilding teams reek of desperation. Doesn't make the players any good

who's arguing FRPs are more valuable than SRPs. I don't think i've seen anyone say that, unless i missed it

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I hope the Rockets only have 4 tradeable SRPs at the start of the 2024 draft.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is actually all pretty true lol

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

FRPs are more valuable than SRPs.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

water is wet

Dwight howard and josh smith were aau teammates

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, Stone was in that Front Office when Daryl was the GM.......you never heard much about him.

He was basically the contract lawyer back then.......people do what they are best at.

Now Stone has to make the big decisions but he sure is not the one doing all the little things.

Dobro only stated that.....Nobody tries to downplay anything, we just analyzing who does what in that war room.

People have talents, we figure out where their executive talents lie.....and @Nook told us he was best at politics.

I do believe Nook has some ties to the organization.

This goes deeper than your 'Stone is responsible for drafting all 6 players'.......which is just generic assumption.

#596 daywalker02, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    dobro1229 likes this.
  17. Houston77

Supporting Member

It's not that FRPs are valuable, it's HOW much more valuable they are. It illustrates, in turn, the value of SRPs.

I'm guessing for Kelly Olynyk + Ochai Agbaji, the Jazz could have received 5 - 6 SRPs. They preferred a single, low RFP. That's why SRPs never concern me that much. An assert worth about the sixth of a low RFP just isn't that valuable.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Who would you have drafted in lieu of TyTy, Garuba or Christopher in those drafts?

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Utah has their own reasons. Just bc they did it doesn't mean other teams would do the same. This 2024 draft isn't good at all so saying a late 2024 1st round might sound good out loud. It won't be any good when the pick conveys. I wouldn't be surprised if they even use that pick in a trade during that draft

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this truly deserves its own thread