1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Ask Drea..... thinly disguised TWSS

Sooner423 likes this.
  2. prs325

prs325 Member

His hair is thiccr

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Where's Tari?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I love seeing this. I hope these guys stick together and play pick up games against other NBA guys throughout the season. Work on their chemistry. Hopefully Bari and Sengun join them soon.

Also is it me or Jalen trying to mimic Kyrie's movement style. I feel like that's his idol in terms of play style.

Mathloom and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dad bod SZN!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Chemistry is vital no doubt about it.

A little Kyrie mixed with a little Ja. Im hoping Jalen is focused on being a better finisher near the rim and being patient in getting himself going without chucking from deep. Jalen is a rhythm scorer. Once he settles in it all comes naturally. Problems arise when he starts forcing shots and there is no room to operate inside of the 3 point line.

7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Team building is so much fun.

Maybe not giving up on early-career-struggling young players, maybe?

#607 yixiixiy, Jun 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  8. MystikArkitect

Fairly certain Clingan is the tradeup target. Every single team wants him from Memphis to Portland. He's the hottest commodity in this draft.

Trading the #3 for that package is a no brainer but Portland doesn't offer that. Probably only Simons or only 7 and 14.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I do it for #7 and Simons. Memphis doesn’t have the players that they are willing to give up that would fit the Rockets. Maybe we could also get a second or two along with Simons and no. 7. It really depends on how the Rockets view Sheppard. Simones could step in as backup PG/SG right away, but he sucks at defense. Can Sheppard step up right away? That’s what the Rockets need to figure out. Simons is pretty good Jalen insurance since he can shoot and break down defenses.

Brogdon might be the better fit but they would have to give up more that just #7 and him for it to work. Brogdon, Thybuille (who improved his 3 pt shot) and #7?

#609 Hemingway, Jun 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    MystikArkitect likes this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d do it for Simons and #7 without hesitation. I’d probably do it for Simons and #14.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Portland would jump all over that. Going from 3 to 14 would be too much for me. I’d rather do something like #3 for Simons and future Portland pick in 26 protected top 3 than pick 14th in this draft.

12. MystikArkitect

Brogdon is too old and can't stay healthy. Simons is too small and cant play defense. We've moved into the age of the NBA where everyone over-values what they have and under-values what everyone else has. So the best way to roster build is through the draft. Sheppard will likely be a better NBA player than Simons (a more winning one anyway).

People treat Reed Sheppard and Donovan Clingan like you can just grab these guys every draft and you cant. The only guys nowadays that hit the trade market or free agency are incredibly flawed players and one-way bozos that never win (Mitchell, Lillard, Harden, George) or old players way way way past their prime. With anyone from Simons to Bridges to Mitchell, they don't change this team's trajectory one bit. We'll be a playoff team next year with or without them and will be a title contender only if one of the young guys makes the leap to superstardom.

jcmoon, Shark44 and carl_herrera like this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's "likely" that Sheppard will be a better NBA player, and I love Sheppard. Possible, sure, but not "likely." Simons averaged 22 points while shooting .38 from 3. You say Simons is "too small," but he is half an inch taller than Sheppard and has a much longer wingspan (6'9 v. 6'3). Yes, he's not a good defender, but I think he could improve in that area under Ime. Simons would fill a big hole for us, and I think he's underrated simply because he plays for a rebuilding team.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

With the current cast we will only be a playoff contender if Jalen steps up. Clingan doesn’t fit. Sheppard may end up being a good NBA player, but he will get very few minutes his first year. Guys like Brogdon, Caruso, Simons are Jalen insurance for this upcoming season. If we want to get a star player through the draft the 25 and 26 Net picks are our best bet. I want both. I want to make sure we are playoff contenders this up-coming year (which will also help us to attract star players) and continue to take shots in the draft for a star. I think this draft is a draft of bench hugging role players, so if you can get something of value for #3 this is the draft to do it.

jim1961 and jch1911 like this.
  15. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Rockets get #14, Simons, Ayton

Portland gets #3, #5 Sasser, Grimes, Stewart, Tate, Landale, Adams, Brooks, Fournier

Pistons get #7, Grant, Brogdon, Thybulle, Rob Williams

Draft Collier, Topić, Carter or McCain at 14 & Shead 2nd round. Sign a vet point and big

FVV/#14/Vet
    Green/Simons/Shead
    Amen/Cam
    Bari/Tari/Jeff Green
    Sengun/Ayton/Vet

Pistons round out the roster without giving up much.

Blazers get two top 5 picks and easy tradeable contract or rotation pieces that won’t hurt the rotation with young bench pieces

Rockets get that 3rd scoring guard and will be best backup center in basketball with Ayton while staying in the lottery to replace Holiday. Ime will turn Ayton around and potentially into another trade piece for a true star.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

I think Jalen is our 3rd or 4th best "talent" behind Amen, Cam, and Jabari. Amen and Cam alone have the ability and size to be Top 10 players in the league. We won't be taking any more swing in the draft. Those days are over. Someone in this crop has to ascend. Preferably one of Amen/Cam becomes a Top 10 player and Jabari/Sengun becomes a Top 20 player. I think Sengun is there already, I just don't know if he will ascend to Top 10. A reliable outside shot and FT's above 75% will get him there but we'll see.

No one on this team can shoot. We need a shooter and Sheppard is better than anyone we're going to get in free agency. I'd rather wait a year or two for him to get up to speed than trade for another middling 37-38% 3 point shooter.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno about that. I could easily see the Rockets use a top 5 pick in next years draft if they are lucky enough to get one. Trading away some of their current players for either future draft capital and/or a desired player. This enables a ton of flexibility regardless.

The amount of talent of this team is amazing for 3 years. The record has improved each of the last 3 seasons with hopefully another 3 seasons with steady win/loss improvement.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. MacNYao

MacNYao Member

draft - June 20
    start of free agency - June 30
    Summer league - July

HUGE WAIT

Pre Season - October