1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 11-6 in January, 5 more games before trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by baubo, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mockster

mockster Member

We need to be playing t jones, pap, Dorsey and Canaan a lot more

2. mockster

mockster Member

For trade bait. I actually think Dorsey has really has added value to himself and also play shved

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Two words.... Salary cap. The Rockets don't have any next year, and probably wont until the new TV money kicks in two years from now.

-Draft picks, jones, etc. what you think is not much is in a couple of years. I'm totally fine giving up draft picks and a young player or two IF the player or players coming back are part of the LONG TERM success of the organization.

With Dwight Howard's health a concern, and the reality that Dwight will need to transition into a more sustainable role moving forward, mortgaging the future in order to just try and get to the second round in the West this year would be a dumb move IMO. Have you ever seen a great blackjack player ever go up to the table to play and win with one hand, and one hand only? No... they want multiple hands. The more hands you have to play, the more chances you have of getting a blackjack, or in this case winning a title.

The point is the Rockets need to ensure they are a playoff team every year. Not just this year.

#23 dobro1229, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. dobro1229

Dorsey as trade bait..... LOL. Sure...

Shved will have value as an expiring contract for matching purposes. That's about it. Dorsey is un-usable for most NBA teams except the Rockets. They are one of the few teams that actually need something from a guy like him.

5. dobro1229

Would be one of the few targets worth it as he is perfectly suited to be a part of the core longterm.

However, I really don't think he's available. The way the Nuggets are making moves seems to signify they are not tearing it down, but retooling next year around Lawson/Faried/Nurkic, etc. I think they want to move bad contracts for un-usable players, but that doesn't mean anything about useful players for the future.

The Nuggets have talent on their team, and will be infused by even more young talent the next couple years in the draft. It will be a nice plan to have solid veterans, and a team that can compete for the playoffs while you are fostering in young talent. I don't see any GM feeling the need to strip everything down especially when Faried/Lawson & Nurkic are so young.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Is the Nola pick and maybe Isiah Canaan for Ty Lawson and some picks and maybe Papa for David West/Brandon Bass, realistic value in trades?

7. mockster

mockster Member

Nola pick and Canaan for ty lawson?. Just no. First off I think you need to dump more salary. Second off we defiantly would either have to add an onslought of players like pap, Dorsey, terry or one of our PFs dmo or t jones and obviously t jones also why do we need Brandon bass or David west when we have three PFs?. Who are honestly contributing way more then both those players between dmo and smith and recently jones

8. baubo

baubo Member

OKC used this mantra to trade Harden and build for the future with multiple picks and Lamb. Now look at where they are? The further you get into the future, the less certain you are about your team. We KNOW right now that if Dwight plays even 80%, we are competitive in the playoffs but not contender. We KNOW that by adding a secondary playmaker, we have a good chance to win big in the playoffs. We also know that by adding a playmaker that's not already on the wrong side of 30, that player will be playing with Harden for the duration of his prime years coming up.

Now let's think about the Pelicans pick. It should be 13th or 14th. Let's suppose there's a 20% chance that pick turn into, say, Kwahi Leonard (odds are way worse but let's look at it optimally). Let's also say that best case scenario, the next Leonard become a stud by year 3. That means we waste 3 seasons of Harden's prime for a 20% chance at pairing Leonard/Harden 3 years from now. You would sacrifice 3 years of competition at the highest level for that?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You don't think the Jennings injury had an impact?

Also they were 5-23 with him, so 8-7 is still a major improvement.

DD

#29 DaDakota, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If we go 5-0, then give McHale yet another extension.

11. dobro1229

Incorrect. Presti traded Harden because ownership was scared to go into the luxury tax, and they chose losing Perkins & extending Ibaka over Harden. It had nothing to do with continuing to build with young talent.

I'm advocating pretty much the opposite. Retain as much young talent as you can, while you can. D-Mo, Jones, etc. need to be retained. Posters such as Basketballhollic have advocated trading them now because they will command too much to retain in free agency. I think that's ridiculous.

Bring in as much young talent as you can, and build something long term. That's as plain and simple as I can be.

If you do trade for a player, it needs to be a player that can grow with this team LONG TERM, and has a contract situation that allows for them to be with the team long term. So yes... Lawson would be great. Dragic (if he can be retained) would be great. Kevin Garnett... not so much. A player like Wilson Chandler or Afflalo.... can help now, but probably won't be retaining long term. I do not want this team to give up long term assets for middle of the road players who aren't going to be retained long term unless I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dwight is 100% healthy... which he's obviously not.

This team needs to continue to build. The Pelican's pick doesn't necessarily have to be a top 5 talent. It just needs to be a good solid young player on a rookie contract that can grow with the team. This draft is deeper than advertised. There will be really good players available at 13 or 14. If the Rockets aren't talented enough to win a title this year, than give me that chance at 2 really solid chances in the draft over wasting those picks on a role player veteran who the Rockets have NO CHANCE of retaining even if they want to.