1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 100% trying to get Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2017.

1. thekad

thekad Member

But they are on the clock. We literally know the exact time when they'll end up with nothing...

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If the Pacers don't realize that they are, quite literally, on the clock, then Kevin Pritchard's tenure as a GM won't last very long. They're so worried about "winning" the trade that they're going to undoubtedly end up losing the trade.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Zach Lowe:

Start here: Dismiss the possibility of Boston signing Hayward, acquiring George, and then somehow signing George to an extension -- regardless of how they order the moves. They just can't open the room to do both without trading Al Horford.

Despite reports to the contrary, Boston has not included any of the following in its offers to the Pacers, per league sources: Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, the 2018 Nets pick, and the Lakers-Kings pick Boston snared from Philly in the Markelle Fultz blockbuster.

My best guess on Boston's standing George offer: Jae Crowder, Smart and Indiana's choice of protected first-round picks Boston owns from the Clippers and Grizzlies. That doesn't meet Indiana's goal of nabbing a top-10 pick or an equivalent talent. The Celtics will be reluctant to bid any higher given the risk of George bolting to the Lakers in a year.

Boston faces more varied competition for George. The Wizards would likely sign-and-trade Otto Porter, with one protected pick attached, to rent George, according to league sources.

Cleveland would swap Love for George straight up, sources say, but as our Marc Stein and Chris Haynes reported over the weekend, that doesn't interest the Pacers. Cleveland has recruited a third team for Love -- the Nuggets -- who might supply a combination of picks, young players, and expiring contracts Indiana finds appealing.

Those talks could be revived, sources say. They present a thorny dilemma for Denver. The Nuggets have made Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray untouchable, and they are out of surplus future first-round picks, though they still have their own. That leaves Gary Harris and some intriguing, but unproven, young guys: Juancho Hernangomez, Malik Beasley, Trey Lyles, Will Barton (not so young at 26) and Tyler Lydon.

You'd assume the Pacers would want Harris and a lightly protected Nuggets pick. Harris is eligible for an extension now, and most executives expect him to command about $20 million per year -- only $4 million less than Love's average salary. Love is better than Harris, and he's under contract for at least two more years; he has a $25.5 million player option for the third year, 2019-20, and given his age and injury history, it's not crazy to imagine Love picking it up -- and for the Nuggets to be fine with that. Very few player options hit that sweet spot. (I'd still wager on Love cashing in on a long-term deal at that point.)

But Harris is six years younger than Love, at a position where talent -- and especially two-way talent -- is scarce. This is not an easy choice, given the defensive limitations of a ground-bound Love-Jokic frontline and the gap between that version of Denver and the Warriors.

If the Nuggets yank Harris out, it's hard to find a deal that satisfies the Pacers unless Denver throws in two picks. If Denver bows out, it's hard to find a realistic third team for Cleveland. Perhaps Phoenix would leap for Love, though they have scheduled meetings with power forwards -- Griffin and Millsap -- they could just sign without dealing away any assets. (To be clear, they are underdogs for both.) The Wizards could veer from George to Love, but they don't appear interested for now -- and feel queasy about facilitating a LeBron-George partnership.

The Cavs will keep trying for George, hoping whatever they wrangle beats the Lakers' reported offer of Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson and two low first-round picks -- perhaps Kyle Kuzma and Josh Hart.

Meanwhile, George is intrigued by the idea of playing with Hayward, sources close to him have told ESPN.com. If Boston adds one more asset, they can disrupt L.A.'s best-laid plans.

Hayward is less than a 50-50 bet to stay, with Boston and Miami in pursuit. (It wouldn't shock me if a secret fourth team scheduled a last-minute meeting with him, either.)

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I wouldn't be shocked if that's the real offer Ainge has on the table, that would also explain why:

1. Indiana is trying to get something better
    2. we're still in play

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't wait for the 3rd star or borderline star....

I would love to see the roster filled out.

kwakmeister likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jonathan Feigen:

The most conspicuous option to close that gap is a trade for Pacers All-Star forward Paul George. The Rockets' talks with Indiana about George are generally on hold, according to a person familiar with the team's efforts, but the Rockets had no qualms about dealing for George, 27, in the final season of his contract, even before the all-in move for Paul.

The Rockets could have the contracts needed to make a trade for George work, particularly with forward Ryan Anderson, who is due to earn $19.4 million next season. But after the Paul trade, they lack the customary sweetener. The earliest first-round pick they could trade would be their 2020 selection. They moved Pat Beverley, a starting guard with a modest contract, Wednesday.​

Daddy Long Legs and Richie_Rich like this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I also missed this part:

Hayward is less than a 50-50 bet to stay, with Boston and Miami in pursuit. (It wouldn't shock me if a secret fourth team scheduled a last-minute meeting with him, either.)

A man can hope i guess lol

And on a side note, if George wants to play with Hayward, why he wouldn't want to play more with Harden and Paul? Unless he doesn't like them obviously...

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What the Pacers don't seem to acknowledge yet is that the stars have all the power in these moves. All George has to say is "I will not resign with X" and then what? The minute a star says "I will only resign with Y," it's over. Take your salary-matching contract and your draft pick and sulk.

Richie_Rich, jim1961 and Pen15clubber like this.
  9. thekad

thekad Member

Lowe's reporting matches what I've been thinking re: Rockets being on hold, Indiana waiting on Boston & Ainge not giving up anything of high value. I'm surprised Indiana doesn't seem that interested in Otto Porter and a pick though.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If the Lakers are willing to part with Julius Randle, we should jump at trying to get him in Houston. Great young player. Good energy. Can score without plays being run for him. I know his long range shooting is laughable, but his rebounding is no joke.

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

This dude is gonna bolt to LA even if we were to win a ring this year. I'd rather go with Melo who seems like he's at a point where he wants to win

HoustonCRT likes this.
  12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

yo you boys remember this ****, I love it

13. MystikArkitect

I just don't see how the hell Morey can get Paul George here. Seems like Indiana wants more than what the Rockets gave for Chris Paul. Issue is that George is not a free agent like Paul was so he really can't leverage Indiana to trade him.

If I'm Indiana I hold firm on getting Bostons first round picks or even their pick this year. I still don't understand what Ainge is doing. You don't even have ONE superstar dude you aren't getting past Lebron and sure as hell wouldn't take a game from GSW even if you added George and Hayward. All fine players but GSW has 2 superstars and 2 all stars. Only Houston and Cleveland can sniff that right now in terms of talent.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Gotta wonder if Morey would be willing to be that third team and facilitate George to Cle to get Love here.

Nemospl likes this.
  15. Victorious

Victorious Member

Don't think we have what it takes to get PG. Screaming A said Melo is now only willing to accept a buyout for the Cavs. Who's going to be our 3rd

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

She is Barbacoa.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

They're willing to part with him for a star, nothing we have.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm over PG13....

I'm now focused on Griffin and Millsap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

craguin and BigMaloe like this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Multi-team deals net teams surprise players sometimes. The point is that there's opportunity out there if the Lakers are willing to deal him.

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Move on from paul, we aint got anybody pacers want. Focus on 2nd tier "stars" like melo and millsap.