1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 100% trying to get Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They have to want those players too though. Do they really want to add the contract of Ryan Anderson if they are losing Chris Paul?

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Every bullet point of This scenario is is unlikely, but the Clips are devoid of assets, so who knows.

justtxyank likes this.
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Doesn't matter if we win title :eek:

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, but dumping Anderson, Ariza and Lou would get us really close to his max, basically a couple of millions away which, who knows, might still be enough for him...or we could still dump another player like...Dekker...it would suck for me, but eh...

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not sure how EG for PG works. Gordon is making 12.9 mil next year. George is making 19.5. The Rockets will have to include more than just "filler" to close that gap.

Now arithmetic aside, if you told me we could get PG for EG and a few picks, I'd do that in a heartbeat. If you keep Lou Williams, he fills Gordon's role(offensively at least). Ariza can either come off the bench or be moved(his contract is in its final year and very cheap) for another piece. And the rest of the roster stays pretty much intact. Does that make us as good as the Warriors? Not if they don't suffer some free agent defections. But it probably makes us #2 in the West.

The one caveat of course is that George seems hellbent on going to LA after next season. But maybe $$$$ and another sh-tty year for the Lakers will change his mind when push comes to shove.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

If they can get Paul George without giving up Capela or Beverley then sign me up. Just don't see any scenario in which Indiana accepts an Gordon/Dekker/1sts deal unless there's a 3rd team.

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

And that is why cp3 is giving us a meeting, and why houston is a viable option.

Harden is highly respected around the league. These guys see the scouting report on him and see what he accomplished this season with no other allstar next to him.

I think we take him for granted in terms of how good he really is even if you believe he can't get it done in the playoffs, which I admit is open for debate at this point. But what isnt up for debate is him being an MVP candidate yearly and dragging teams with less talent to top 5 records overall in the league and home court advantage. There's only like 5 guys that can realistically do that and harden is one of them, Cp3 is another Paul George is not but he can definitely be a great 2nd 3rd option.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's the million dollar question, but I think we have the answer by seeing what Morey did last Summer when Dwight walked for nothing, and you can't replace a star with another star.

Theoretically if PG was to walk the Rockets could have nearly 40 million in cap space with a smoother cap where a good majority of teams this year have tightened up their cap and spent up to closer numbers to the cap. With only Harden, Ryan Anderson, and Capela's pending free agency being the salary areas of concern, you still have the route of overpaying role players to continue a Harden-centric team that can do some stuff in the regular season, and win a series or two.

What other team with a legit offer to make Indiana has the ability to put Paul George in a situation where he'd be leaving a likely WCF or at worst 2nd round playoff team that should be in the thick of it every year, and has a true need for a SF, and already has a superstar to make it where he's not carrying the load himself?

Unless PG just flat out says I will NOT resign in Houston if they trade for me, I think you do it. If you leaves, you have the cap space to replace him with good role players, and we are back where we were this year which isn't the worst place in the world to be quite honestly.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, seems like an offer the Lakers, Celtics or anyone else could EASILY beat.

10. justtxyank

Right, but the fear about Houston is that there are only a couple of cities that can draw the players: Lakers, Boston, Miami, New York basically and that's it. This is what WOJ was addressing. Only small number of teams can sell you on the idea of "we don't have to get around the city, we are the draw" where everyone else has to sell the players on the basketball side.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

I don't have a problem with this at all.

As long as we go all-in before tearing it all down.

HakeemOnlyFan and Snow Villiers like this.
  12. justtxyank

Can, but perhaps WON'T.

Celtics: Prefer Jimmy Butler because they have him locked up. Not willing to offer premium assets for Paul George
    Lakers: Can they really even top that offer? Basically from the Lakers you have to take a junk contract like Deng/Mozgoz and then a young player Julius Randle. They aren't giving a high pick and they can't trade a first rounder until like 2020.

So a lakers deal could be Mozgov, Randle 2020 first round pick. Is that a good offer? Really?

If all goes well for Lakers, 2020 pick would be a back of the first round type deal.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think he's giving us a meeting because there has been top secret mutual interest that's been brewing between him and D'antoni for years.

14. JD88

JD88 Member

Only a few teams can offer you $6m more per year (in income taxes you wouldn't have spent).

15. justtxyank

I am so sick of hearing the income taxes argument!

@J.R. knows what's up

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly

I'd go with Anderson and something else over EGO

Rocket River

dfbreyes likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just listened to this.

"I mean... maybe that's the best Indiana can hope for, I don't know."

Soyouresayingtheresachance.jpg

hibbetts and justtxyank like this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

Because with little to no pressure and non- reliance for scoring Ryan Anderson spreads the floor well with his three point shoot in the regular season. The dude is shooting 40%, they're gonna give him another shot to put it together in the playoffs next season

jayydela and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  19. justtxyank

I added emphasis to the OP to make it clear that "could" means "hypothetically" and not "yeah, if the Rockets agree to it that's a done deal" in case it wasn't clear.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Are the Rockets 100% in with PG13 because they have 0% confidence in Playoff James Harden? The math works out.