1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocket Color Commentators

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ChenZhen, Oct 13, 2005.

?

Who do you prefer as the Rocket Color Commentator?

1. Clyde

14 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Bull

25 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Van

39 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Calvin

391 vote(s)
    82.0%
  5. Other (Coop, Haggadorn, Robert Reid, Jim Deshayes, Larry Dierker, etc)

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Who do you prefer on the booth with Bill Worrell?

a. Clyde
    b. Bull
    c. Van
    d. Calvin
    e. Other (Coop, Haggadorn, Robert Reid, Jim Deshayes, Larry Dierker, etc)

After listening towards the end of the game yesterday, I almost killed myself (Sorry Clyde). I realized how much I missed Van and Calvin. Simple question: Who do you prefer color commentating the Rockets with Worrell doing the play by play?

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

CALVIN!!!

clyde sucks donkeys (as a commentator)

all homerism aside, bill and calvin were the best commentating duo i ever heard in any sport. they play off each other perfectly and really seemed to enjoy each other.

its just not the same w/out calvin.

#2 jo mama, Oct 13, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  3. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

i didn't hear him because I was at the game, but they showed him on the jumbo screen a couple of times. He never looked up because he was reading whatever they were talking about (which I figure to be pretty normal) But i'm curious about how it went.

4. Toast

Toast Member

We all know Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy is the real deal.

But I'll throw Bull an honorable mention.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It was halloweenish. Absolutely horrid. Clyde just repeating Bill's jokes and giving a gruff laugh and then talking about how athletic so and so player is. No ____ Sherlock, they're in the N.B.A.

It's really too bad too. Not only do the fans deserve better but Bill deserves better. He has to work with them every night and he wouldn't ever rock the boat about his color man but there is no chemistry with him and Clyde. I think there is more chemistry with him and Bull and if Bull loosened up a little I think they would make a decent pairing.

Oh Calvin, Oh Calvin, where have you gone little friend?

6. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

The reports I hear about Clyde's commentary make me glad I'm going to be attending all the home games. I think Bull's pretty good, the jokes and anecdotes he and Bill got going at the end of the 76ers game were pretty good. I kind of warmed up to Van at the end of the season, but I'd have to give Bull the nod over him. Of course, Calvin towers above them all. It's a shame they didn't bring him back.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Not living in Houston any more, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Clyde yet. Last year, I thought Bullard started pretty badly, but I thought he was really good during the playoffs. Van Chancellor was pretty good last season, and he makes, IMO, interesting commentary. Calvin should be there, but if it's not going to be him, it should be Van. If not Van, Bullard. If not Bullard, then just send Bill out there alone.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Calvin
    Van
    Haggadorn
    Bull
    Clyde

9. ChenZhen

Right on...It's that slight giggle from clyde I tell you!! That innocent sweet giggle after regular comments by Bill. The bland and generic comments from Clyde I can kind of take...but that subtle tee-hee-hee will haunt me for the rest of the week.

10. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Sicne Calvin is not coming back to the Rockets, this poll should be between Bullard and Clyde. Even though Bullard is not that exciting he is no where near as bad as Clyde.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Look at the results of this poll. It isn't even close. I spent all last year thinking Calvin would be back this year. There was a light at the end of the tunnel. Not anymore. :(

Seriously, is there anything Clutchfans can do? We showed our power a few weeks ago when Clutch was barred from training camp and the Rockets listened. We need to do something! We need Calvin back!! What can we do?

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Why wasn't Van Chancellor brought back? I realize Calvin is likely done for good after what happened with his family, but I really grew to enjoy the chemistry between Bill and Van as the season went on.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Was there ever an explanation given as to why Calvin wasn't coming back? Is it just because all of the bad press he got, because it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

14. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Clyde's voice sounded very unsure and he was just repeating what Bill was saying.. Pity!!!

Shame on you people responsible for this

Please bring Calvin Murphy Back on a contract basis first. LIke once in every 5 games.. This way people will slowly get used to like him ( for those people who don't believe in our judicial system )..

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

LMAO @ the people who voted for Clyde.

16. Nero

Nero Member

LOL true enough.

I actually only got to listen to snippets during the commercials between the innings of the Astros game.. but even then, it make me want to gouge out my own ears with an ice pick.

FOR GOD'S SAKE ROCKETS BRASS!!!! BRING BACK CALVIN BEFORE WE ALL DIE OF DESPAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

17. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

The 3 people who voted for Clyde need to come forward with their confessions. It's a matter of Clutch board security. Our existence is at stake.

18. jshabang

jshabang Member

you guys must have read my mind with this thread...I was just comin to rip into clyde and low and behold my good brothers and sisters(are there any girls in the bbs?) have already beat me to the punch.....

My god...you would think they would have listened to this guy or audition him or something......clyde was absolutely god awful....I am a big clyde fan and love his hall of fame status and all, but he is horrible and my TV will be muted from here on out, because I can't see a ENTIRE SEASON OF LISTENIN TO THAT BLAND COMMENTARY......CALLLLVINNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :p

19. rocketsmetalspd

Calvin of course "My Brothers" :D

20. ChenZhen

Probably these are sympathy votes and they didn't listen to him yesterday. Either that or Clyde himself have 3 bbs accounts here.