1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Scrubington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Aug 14, 2020.

1. stilldr34amin'

I agree that the NBA draft is no longer fun since Morey started his tenure with us. But let's be fair:
    How many teams since 2012 have drafted better players than James Harden? And how likely would we have been to have been in a position to draft those players?

IMO Morey has definitely had his shortcomings but I see very few GMs with a better track record than him over the last decade.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Hey the 2 guys we're asking to 'box above their weight class' no longer have the legs to hit the 3 ball on a consistent basis - go figure...
    Whats next? Guys get too gassed to press for enough steals to offset the rebounding shortcoming? Nah... that couldnt happen...

ah small ball...

smh...

Gonna continue to hope for the best... but we'll see...

Imanimal likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I will just leave this here.

Deuce and stilldr34amin' like this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Small ball is fools gold and won’t work with the lack of legit three point shooters. TBH not sure it works with good three point shooters.

kjayp likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ever heard of the Hampton 5?

Neither Iggy nor Draymond were very good 3ball shooters.

hakeem94 and harold bingo like this.
  6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's crazy that people don't get this. It seems like the small ball hate comes from MDA haters because they think Mike invented it, when he really just copied it straight from the warriors (or you can go even further back to find teams doing it, but the warriors had the most success with it). It worked for them and lead to the warriors winning multiple titles. If you want to make a legitimate criticism, say that small ball won't work for 48 minutes. Acting like small ball doesn't work at all just makes you look like an idiot that hasn't watched the nba in 5 years. It was by far the most effective lineup by the warriors, they used it to close almost every game, and in really important games they ran it for 35 to 40 minutes.

Deuce, Mathloom, jordnnnn and 2 others like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I believe it Can Work with the right mix of players the most important of those outside of the obvious Harden and Westbrook is the guy playing the 5.
    Draymond Green .... that's what made that GSW death lineup work , able to defend 1-5 while being able to knock down open shots and rebound at a solid rate.

Ideally Tucker wouldn't start - he'd be your backup at both the 4 and 5 spots. That's no knock on Tucker either. There just aren't many players like Draymond Green out there .....

The Rockets need to find their own Donkey.

D-rock likes this.
  8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Right, cuz I never remembered them trotting out Bogut, Looney, McGee, ZaZa, Durant, and Bell during their runs, not ever. I hate, hate stupid fkin posts like this....

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Try reading my post again, where I specifically say they didn't run it for a full 48 minutes. You're calling me stupid when you can't even read?

cbass, ICEibuPROfen, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  10. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

he'll show up in the playoffs

we need him to make big defensive plays and he will

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hence my fascination with Aaron Gordon.

And low priced guys with similar sets like Jonah Bolden.

A younger Jeff Green with better defense in effect.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

James Harden tore them up let’s be real. Without Harden Capela was useless.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wouldn't want to trade the 2022 #1 - its a basically a double draft in that high school grads will also be available along with college eligible players. Should be a really deep draft.

I can't see getting Gordon with EG .... even if you add that 2022 #1. If the Magic are willing to move him , other teams can offer better packages.

Probably going to have to look elsewhere for that Donkey clone but the list of guys who can play that role is pretty short.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You’re right. It didn’t necessarily have to be Capela but it did have to be someone with his size and strengths. My point is Covington can’t do in that series what Capela can.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. illadelphiah

illadelphiah Member

This.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

“The best GM in the league”.....come on man!!!!!!

ashleyem likes this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This is the best post ever and should finally shut up these weak GS Warriors wannabees on this sight but sadly won’t. We will never be the Warriors, as they were unique in having a historic mixture of lights out 3 point shooters (not Tucker/House) AND multiple tall players who were switched in and out throughout games. Idiots on this board can’t get these simple facts through there minds. It would be more accurate to compare us to the current Warriors than the Dream Team Warriors of the recent past. Comparing us to the Dream Team Warriors is like comparing PJ Tucker to Hakeem Olajuwon....just not the same in so many ways!!!!! Yes they both shoot the ball and rebound and hustle, but saying they are the same is just as ludicrous as the comparisons of our current team to the recent historic Warrior teams.

forchette49 likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Rockets for many years running have been one of the best offenses in the league with average to even below average 3 point shooting.

Clutchfans : “ it will never work with poor 3 point shooters!”

wait what....?

Some of you chuckleheads still don’t get it. The system is meant to be able to take mediocre shooting talent and extract gold from it. And we do. Every single year.

Math is not as hard as some of you make it out to be.

cbass, Corrosion, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Disruptor is +7 even with 3ball slump.

Math is your friend.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I do hope the Rockets succeed in getting a center---that is, 6'10" or taller---who can shoot from outside and block shots.

I know they're fairly rare, but having Robert Covington and PJ Tucker as your "bigs", well, as solid as they have been, they're going to get run into the ground. Even if Dan Tony isn't brought back.