1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Scrubington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

No need to be ornery. Rockets won game 7, there should be relief.
    Anyhow, I have more meetings, but here's some film of little things that changed between game 6 and game 7.

Of course, the Rockets base defense is switching with backside hedging that looks like a zone but has man responsibilities. Sometimes the strong side back defender will stay strong even if his man is in the dunker spot on the opposite side of the paint - this defender will oscillate from his man back to crossing the paint to support against penetration.

Everything is about stopping penetration. Switching is about stopping penetration to avoid players turning the corner on a screen and going downhill.

Many times, the switches have lead to disadvantageous situations on the perimeter where Robert Covington (and McLemore and Green) gets hunted. it's understandable, as they are the weakest links on-ball. I love Covington and I'm well aware he's a top 5 help defender. Nobody is perfect at all aspects of defense.

My complaint in previous games was that sometimes, just sometimes, the Rockets accept the switch way too easily when it's obvious the play is to attack Covington, Green, or McLemore. In those instances, a great screen will force a switch because the #1 priority is to maintain defensive integrity. But there are times when the screen isn't great, and the opportunity is there for the better on-ball defender to stick with the attacker, and once in a while, in those times, the Rockets shouldn't switch. They should mix it up a bit.

And they did. That's all I'm saying. They mixed it up a bit in game 7. You are incorrect if you think they never mixed it up and accepted all switches in game 7 as they did so easily in game 6. I need to re-watch the game later tonight, have more meetings, but here's an example of fighting to stay on the attacker instead of accepting the switch (which is the still the main defense btw).

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

welp RoCo switched. Leaving Dort for an open 3 like theyve done all series long. this doesn't prove anything. we've literally seen that play out over and over and over every single game in this series. That's what they do when Dort is on the floor. it's that simple. there's a reason why Dort gets open looks when hes in the game. It's understood thats what houston is giving up since game 1.

Further confirmation you see 0 adjustments? Dort puts up 30 pts and they still let him fire away and it almost cost them last night lol

#262 YOLO, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Edit: Your basketball understanding of this concept is is way off. Roco didn't switch in the video above. His man screened EG twice, Roco showed and recovered twice, and knew that Gordon was sticking on CP3. That wasn't a switch.

You are stubborn, incorrect, and changing the argument. You said they always switch and didn't make any adjustments for game 7. I'm saying, there were times in game 7 that the primary defender stuck with the primary attacker, and didn't switch. In that video, Eric Gordon fought through screens twice to stay with CP3. The Rockets base defense is still to switch. Here is another example. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree if you stand steadfastly by your opinion that the Rockets made 0 adjustments for game 7 defense.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

He was 6-11 from 3 genius.

Batman Jones, HP3 and TWS1986 like this.
  5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Roco will have a MUCHHH better series as he doesnt have to hold smaller guards.

He is going to eat.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He's going to be taking turns guarding Davis and James though. That's going to wear him out along with PJ.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He needs to work on getting back up and sprinting back on D. So many times he fell down on the offensive end and stayed down for a few seconds while OKC was already on the other side of the court.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This thread is more confirmation cyberbullying works. Who we going to cyberbully next? Austin Rivers? bet.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo was fighting thru screens and not switching when he was matched up with CP3.

That was a great defensive adjustment.

#269 D-rock, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Kim, ElPigto and HP3 like this.
  10. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What kind of dork makes that sort of analysis.

“Scrubbington needs to shoot better DERRRRR!”

Get this man a helmet.

Reeko, HP3 and D-rock like this.
  12. Asian Sensation

Ignore me and don’t bother reading my posts. It’s not hard b.

13. Asian Sensation

He did and we won.
    “DERRRRRR!”

14. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

It was good move to have EG on CP3. He probably knows CP3s tendencies on offense the best since he probably matched up with him always during practices

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo is also one of Rockets best perimeter defenders, if not the best.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Why do you like him? What about him do you like? Explain farther please. Is it his cute smile or his charming personality? I will await your answer.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

your constant fails are amusing...with all these dumbass threads and all the L’s u take, u should probably take the year off

D-rock likes this.
  18. Asian Sensation

Tell me how was I wrong?

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lmao, ok troll. 1st, u couldn’t even comprehend that despite Covington’s bad shooting stretch, he was still 1 of the most valuable players on the team and had a good net rating and plus/minus primarily because of his defensive contributions.

this statement right here pretty much defines u as a poster

“I see some solid defense at times but I feel like the majority of this board lauds his defense to mask his shooting.“

D-rock likes this.
  20. Asian Sensation

**** off. You just take certain points out of context and ignore others to match your narrative (thinking I’m a troll or hater). Again, tell me how I was wrong? He played solid defense for the most part of the bubble but his shooting was ATROCIOUS. Up until a week ago one could easily argue he was outplayed by Jeff Green and Danuel House.

In the past few games he not only elevated his defense but he stepped up his shooting big time. I said he needed to shoot better to win. He did. We won. Wtf are you on about?