1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Member

Hard core Christian and Muslims would like to know where you live. They want come by and say hello.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are allowed to disagree with religion, but you are not allowed to (in countries that recognize hate speech) insult or discredit someone based on their religion, it would be no different than saying "I can't take you seriously because you are black", "I can't take you seriously because you are a woman", I can't take you seriously because you are gay, or "I can't take you seriously because you are in a wheelchair".

Despite the fact that the US doesn't recognize "hate speech", it's still pretty tacky and likely violates the rules on this site. It's just not somewhere that people should go, it's much better to just keep discussing the issues rather than attempting to attack the poster.

Look, I'm just saying that if we were serious about wanting to make the D&D less toxic, those are the kinds of things that have to go.

#4962 Bobbythegreat, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Interesting you've never interjected when the poster you are defending has done the exact same thing multiple times.

Nook likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Expressing his disbelief and disagreement with those beliefs isn't an insult.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If that was all he was saying, that would be fine, he was suggesting that because that poster had those beliefs that he couldn't be taken seriously on completely unrelated issues. It's just a shitty thing to do and it's the kind of thing that can make the D&D toxic.

If the conversation was about religion and the poster was saying that they didn't believe in that religion, that's fine. They can even mock the religion in the context of a conversation about religion....but when you are mocking people for their religious beliefs, it's not fundamentally different than mocking them for any other protected category. Fortunately we are in the US, so doing so isn't a crime, but it's still not the right thing to do especially on a forum that I believe has rules against it.

jcf and cml750 like this.
  6. Anticope

Anticope Member

Is Bobby the disabled child insulter seriously lecturing people on civility right now?

Harrisment, CometsWin, Nook and 7 others like this.
  7. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Member

Yes. Yes, he is. This is what the world has come to.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sicko liberals attacking people because of their religious views. We need to protect religious rights in this country!

if that religion is Christianity

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You are very sensitive apparently. You are so sensitive that you see insult where there was none.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There really was an insult, perhaps you just weren't able to see it because you agree with it. Imagine a scenario where someone was discounting a person's political opinion because they were a Muslim, a homosexual, or had some kind of handicap instead. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to see the insult there. If you can swap out a different protected class and see the insult, it means the original statement was every bit as insulting even if it was harder to see.

Telling someone that you can't take them seriously because of their sex, religion, sexual preference, race, or any other protected class is absolutely an insult no matter how you spin it. It's also something that does nothing but add to the toxicity of the D&D so like I said, if we're really serious about making the D&D less toxic, those are the kinds of statements we'll need to avoid. It's honestly not that hard to stay on topic and choose not to personally attack others using that kind of "hate speech" and it's even easier when others refuse to do so as well.

As to being sensitive, I think you know better than that. I'm in no way sensitive to those kinds of things, but others are and you can rile up SJW outrage mobs by saying things like that.....and no one wants that. We should just seek to debate and discuss the issues rather than going the route of personal attacks. It just works better that way.

11. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Member

This whole post reeks of irony. What is there not to understand about the phrase “echo chamber”. Can you explain it to me and how I misused it when I refer to your regurgitation of talking points from the echo chamber you inhabit.

Please, already.

You obviously do not understand the phrase “common sense”.

You obviously do not understand what the word “objectively” means.

You obviously deserve all this condescension being directed back to you.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Wouldn't call it hate speech, but I don't think saying a poster's opinion is invalid because of his religious beliefs is cool.

13. dc rock

dc rock Member

:eek:

Big if true.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If that was all that was said, I might agree. But it wasn't all that was said. It pointed out certain particular beliefs and then questioned how those would be inconsistent with the political argument being made.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I do not think it was fair to go after cml's religious beliefs as a means of discrediting his post. His views on "the rapture" are debated within Christian circles and there are many of us who do not believe in a sudden disappearance of Christians from the earth. Unless you'd also discredit the views of a Muslim, Jew or Hindu on a certain subject because of unrelated religious beliefs, it's unfair to go after cml in the same way.

The main reason to be skeptical of cml's derision of "echo chambers" is that, over the years, I have never once been surprised by one of his opinions. While there some conservative posters here who have certain views that break with the party line (Space Ghost and Granville come to mind, Refman in the days of old, etc.) I've never had any doubt about where cml will stand on issues of the day. If there's a new line of attack on Democratic politicians circulating on Facebook or Fox News, I know he'll be spreading it here. You can set your watch to it.

16. No Worries

No Worries Member

17. jcf

jcf Member

My personal view is that Nook went beyond expressing disagreement with CML's religious beliefs and crossed over to making fun of them specifically and using that as a stated reason not to credit his position.

That being said, Nook's a good poster, and I didn't take it as him really meaning to attack CML on a personal level as much as jabbing him.

Weird thing is we tend to cut slack or defend posters we tend to agree with or even simply like, when we might rain down criticism if someone else did something similar.

I also like CML as a poster. And I don't really view his consistency as a fault as much as an indication of his pretty strongly held world view.
    For all I know he took grave insult at the comment, but my assumption is that he has always been even tempered in the posts I have read, and I hope/doubt he takes someone else's view of his beliefs too seriously. My guess is that if either of them really have a problem, they will work out themselves

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I’ll give your opinion the weight it deserves.

Pointing out hypocrisy isn’t hate speech and it isn’t a knock on someone’s faith.
    He
    Objectivity is objectively.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do you, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, if you feel like it's appropriate to insult someone based on their religion instead of responding to their argument, that's your choice. I was just telling you that other people might not accept your decision and there could be blow back from it. Objectively, you were insulting him based on his religious beliefs, it's okay for you to think that's an acceptable thing to do, but it's not okay to do it and then lie about it. When you tell someone that you can't take their opinion seriously because of their religious beliefs, that's an insult just as it would be if you told them that you couldn't take them seriously due to the color of their skin.

Again though, you do you, but I'm something of an expert when it comes to what is offensive, what offends people, and what can trigger an outrage mob in current year.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So what’s new here?