1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Important to note that (1) Cohen is also the National Deputy Chairman of the Republican National Committee finance leadership team and (2) was the Executive VP Special Counsel for the trump organization. So he was (1) directly involved in many large fundraising activities (and thus, can testify and provide evidence re: any moneys that went to the trump campaign from Russia and other key foreign countries) and (2) directly involved in many large deals between trump and foreign countries including Russia.

Probably explains why trump is so unhappy with the investigation focus. And btw, the "attorney-client privilege is dead" position by trump is a weak defense anyway:

For Trump and Cohen, attorney-client privilege goes only so far
    Under Department of Justice policy, a search warrant of a lawyer's office such as this is so serious it usually requires approval of the U.S. Attorney for the district or the Assistant Attorney General.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ney-client-privilege-goes-only-so-far-n864206

No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, the endgame and crisis look like they will arrive on schedule.

Facts versus fury. God help us all.

3. NewRoxFan

I need to correct myself... it appears trump's appointee recused himself for this case...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...well, look on the bright side, B-Bob...

...when the end comes, and anarchy reigns...

...I'm pretty sure they'll let you carry an AR-15 for self-protection...

...any Negro like me not named Ben Carson...is well and truly ***ked...

5. NewRoxFan

trump twiggered for another twittertwantwum...

[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks, (sigh), I feel much... much better. :D
    Honestly, I think the professors will be lined up right after you, but I'll relish my extra five-ten minutes.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

I think the people that really have to worry are Hispanic and Middle Eastern people. Heck, I shaved off my beard, just in case...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

...and, I guess trump needs to fire Rosenstein along with Mueller (and this Berman character, LOL).

No Worries likes this.
  9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

1. Cohen won't testify
    2. But he won't need to
    3. If any evidence existed, the FBI has it now
    4. Hence, why Trump is pissed

10. NewRoxFan

Wow... Rosenstein immediately jumps to the top of trump's "firing" squad...

11. krnxsnoopy

It's too late. The cat's out of the bag.

Trump isn't stopping this investigation whether or not he fires Rosenstein and Meuller. By firing them, the only thing he does, is make himself look more guilty.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So I've read over and over again that the WORST decision Trump can make is to fire Mueller. Can someone walk me through exactly what the ramifications are?

13. krnxsnoopy

1. Before anything else, it'll look REALLY bad. The optics are terrible. He'll look guilty as hell.
    2. There could be legal ramifications; obstruction of justice
    3. It won't stop any investigation. There's more than enough evidence and cooperating witnesses where this will continue to move forward with or without Meuller.
    4. Basically there's no upside and potentially create more self inflicted wounds if Trump fired Meuller

Fyreball likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

I remember when some thought Huckabee would be a reasonable candidate for president...

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And ultimately, at the end of this (assuming an investigation leads to enough evidence), will the decision be brought to Congress about whether they should move forward with impeachment? I'm assuming party lines are erased, and the Congressmen are expected to vote their conscience in something like this? I'm just wondering if there's any worry that Trump might somehow wiggle his way out of this. While the correlation isn't exactly direct, the markets right now aren't showing any kind of fear or uncertainty about this.

17. krnxsnoopy

He's the dad of Sarah Huckabee Sanders

Complicit!

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On the flipside:

1. Voters seems to have already made up their mind on Trump. They're either convinced he's guilty or convinced the Illuminati are out to get him.
    2. Another obstruction of justice charge adds only incrementally to the existing potential charges.
    3. A cooperative new Attorney General can stop all Admin investigations. That would look terrible, but things already look terrible. The joke of a House investigation is already concluded. Only the Senate investigation would remain, any cases that state Attorneys General might pursue, and the investigations by the press.
    4. The end game ultimately must involve the House voting to impeach. The House is heavily Republican, and many members have already compromised themselves to support Trump. Republican Reps with objections of conscience have already committed to not running for re-election, demonstrating the electoral environment is such that Republicans don't believe they can win a primary running as a traditional Republican. Do we really have confidence the House would vote to impeach today if Mueller was fired? Do we really have confidence that Republican voters would punish Reps for refusing to impeach if Mueller was fired?

Nook, B-Bob and Fyreball like this.
  19. krnxsnoopy

In the end, Republicans in Congress will vote in their own self interest /survival. If that means turning their back on Trump, then they'll do exactly that.

It won't have anything to do with "conscious"

20. NewRoxFan

It would be funny if trump and Cohen get taken down for paying off women trump couldn't resist cheating on his wife with...