1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Horry burns Tracy McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 12, 2016.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

No one is talking about championships when it comes to T-Mac. You have to get past the FIRST ROUND to talk about championships. Still waiting on an answer of which player was supposedly as talented and glorified as T-Mac that never took his team past the first round.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The big IF will always be "IF Yao and T-Mac were healthy..."

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

What bugs me about this whole issue is that many of you dismiss McGrady's claims of not being as lucky when it comes to teams, while applauding a guy whose six rings are exactly the product of being lucky in that regard. Horry was never even CLOSE to being the kind of player who could single-handedly drag a team deep into the playoffs they way you think T-Mac should've.

Horry played 17 seasons and was only a starter for 6 of those, unless he was filling in for an injured starter. His stats were never that great (averaged more than single-digit PPG in only a few years, but was usually well below 10). In fact, his career averages of 7/5/2 are pretty indicative of his yearly averages after he left the Rockets.

What he WAS was a guy who was unafraid to take the big shots, and he made some of them in critical playoff moments (and missed some as well, helping to prevent his 2003 Lakers and 2004 Spurs from advancing). However, Horry benefited from being on teams where he wasn't the center of attention. He was the guy you didn't game-plan around, the guy about whom the coach says as he's breaking the time-out huddle, "Oh yeah, and don't forget about Horry." Making catch-and-release threes while mostly wide open in clutch situations isn't easy, and good for Bob that he drained a few.

T-Mac, on the other hand, was a transcendent talent on some less-than-great teams, so he always had a hand in his face when he was shooting. He suffered from not being a natural born leader (neither was Horry, for that matter) and most of all from being a terrible interview and always uttering silly sh!te that came back to bite him.

I love my title-team Rockets and that includes Horry, but to be honest, after his Rockets days he was just a solid role player who was incredibly lucky to be on the teams that gave him his other four rings. He couldn't tie T-Mac's shoes as a player, but he was amazing at always landing in the right spot and making the most of it. Horry knows he wasn't nearly the player T-Mac was, and the only way he can one-up him is to wave all those rings that were mostly the product of luck to begin with.

Horry has said he didn't mind taking big shots because he knew if he made them he'd get the glory, but if he missed the media would blame the superstars. There's more than a little of that going on in this thread.

To put this in perspective, Drexler and T-Mac each have a ring. Drexler dragged his team to that title, and even then he had help from a stellar cast. If HE were the guy to tell T-Mac, "You gotta earn that ring," it would mean something. Coming from Horry, it's a cheap shot without a whole lot to back it up.
    <BR>

#183 topfive, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of them is a clutch city hero, the other is a dude who wished he never left Toronto

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

No, you came into the season out of shape, gave yourself a three week vacation "to work on conditioning," then shut yourself down to have microfracture knee surgery without consulting with the team. And that team you abandoned that went to the playoffs? If Deke and Yao hadn't gone down would have been hoisting the trophy at the end. Without you.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Just saw this thread. Clearly Horry was joking. Obviously he knows he's a taller, black version of Steve Kerr. A role player who was left wide open several times in the playoffs because the more important people (the ones that were as talented as TMac) needed to be covered. Love you Rob, but you got your chances because you rode the coattails of hakeem and Duncan. But obviously Rob knows that and that's why he's just joking.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Robert Horry isn't on those teams, do they win rings still?

I doubt it... Dude is magic.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

You are either vastly overrating Steve Kerr as a player (as many here seem to do) or you are forgetting the defensive end of the ball entirely. Horry is one of only 23 players with 1000 career block and 1000 career steals. He was incredibly versatile as a defender and was also a great post entry passer.

All Kerr did was shoot. Robert Horry was far from a 1-dimensional 3-point shooter. His most famous moments just happen to be his playoff threes.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

You can EASILY figure out the Clutch City Rockets fans from the McGrady fans, because the tmac fans were too little to remember the real Robert Horry

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_oLkTwTl1x8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

id take tmac any day over horry as an individual basketball player.

horry played with all the best big men of his era - tmac did not.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I feel bad that Yao didn't have a Kobe Bryant like Shaq and Gasol did

1 person likes this.
  12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And the GARM reaction is to die for. Overreacting much.

Bwhahaha

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rob't Horry, he who parlayed a few well timed clutch shots into a historic run of rings. None of which he 'earned' before May.

Oh, TMc didn't get to much of May?

We, all American sports fans we, overreact to the value of a RING! Hate Barkley or Stockton/Malone? Fine. But, they were three of the all-time GOATs.
    Horry isn't, even with 7-rings (only two of which matter to me).

Hey, where's Super Mario? What did he have, 5? Why doesn't he get into the conversation? Huh, why not???

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

That was funny and some epic shade, but this is such a typical tinman thread.

I know he didn't start it, but it's predictably filled with his brainless, fishing-for-rep superfandom posts that are devoid of any substance or compelling points.

#194 baller4life315, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

He was a top 15 pick playing over 35 minutes a game who couldn't grab a rebound to save his life. He had one good season for us. Was a complete waste of size. Think Patrick Patterson. So he hit a couple of shots in the playoffs. Whoop dee damn Doo. Maybe if he grabbed a few offensive rebounds, rockets wouldn't have needed those last minute 3pointers.

I'm not even the biggest TMac guy out there, but for this guy to even joke about clowning in tmac is r****ded. He played 4 seasons for us. Had one half decent one where he almost played 38 minutes a game and still rebounded like he was missing an arm.

I cant stand it when people put down guys like franchise and tmac to put up role players like Horry on a pedestal. Almost as annoying as people who claim drexler is an all time rockets great when he basically played 2 years here. Its an effing joke that his number is retired.

Eff big shot Rob. Tmac wore that uni longer and better. You were just a 6-10 softie who didnt wanna bang and started shooting 3s cuz you had no skill as a big man

16. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

When the hell did McGrady get a ring???

17. tinman

Supporting Member

when you set nba2k to no injuries and put the computer on super easy

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq was finals MVP for all his Lakers championships so not a fair comparison. Gasol is a good comparison though.

19. dream2franchise

I tell you my mind is blown because I realise how muddled the past few years have been for me.

For the longest time I thought the 22 game win streak happened in the same year that we made the Semis against LA, and that T-Mac didn't feature in it.

Instead it was the year before and he was there for every game. So that was two seasons where a contending team was struck a major blow with injury.

Yao both times. That poor guy.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

don't need any more rep, i've reached HAKEEM status a long time ago.

this is the battle between what's real and what is delusion

Robert Horry winning titles and contributing in the clutch and never losing a first round series in his entire career, that's real.