1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockbox, Sep 24, 2011.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Quoted for idiocy. Don't quit your day job.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not saying this after one game, I'm saying this from everything I've seen from him in the last 2 years at Standford.

BTW both Brees and Brady did some very special things in college. Brady set school records at Michigan and showed up pretty big in bowl games and Brees was a Heisman finalist setting all kinds of Big 10 records. They just had big question marks. Brady with his arm strength and Brees with his height.

The reason Luck is so highly touted, is because there are no question marks about him. He's big, strong, athletic, and made good decisions in college. His biggest positive is the fact that there is nothing negative to say about him. However, I never saw him do anything special in college other than throw the ball 40 yards while falling down. Other than that play, I never saw him make a throw that made me say WOW!!!

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

1. They both play for completely different teams. RGIII has a more to work with than Luck.

2. Luck played a good defense today during his first outing in Chicago. RGIII got a Saints defense coming off the Bountygate scandal, missing some of their starters and their head coach. And let's be real here, even with those missing starters and head coach the Saints defense was nothing special.

3. RGIII has 6 games this season against teams that had top 10 defenses last year so I am sure he will be tested eventually. Luck should have his opportunities to shine too as he has a few games against bottom tier defenses from last year.

I'm not trying to take away anything from either player but I do think a lot of people tend to live in the moment without looking at the big picture. Yes, RGIII looked excellent and Luck struggled in their openers but I don't think it is indicative of the direction either player is headed in their career. I also don't think it is possible to say which is better than the other. It's way too early to begin deciding that or how good either will be over the entirety of their careers.

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

What are you talking about? Did you just not watch Peyton Manning "methodically" beat a top 2-3 defense despite not throwing a single "wow" pass? If it was, Jay Cutler and Matthew Stafford would be the 2 best QBs in the game, if it's all about the Wow factor.

Being a QB is about managing a game, reading defenses, and able to adjust on the fly, and ability to make right decisions/throws. Tom Brady won his first few championships putting up "efficient" numbers, but playing smart. That's when he became a legend, not when he starting throwing for 5000+ yards. Peyton Manning is a master at that as you saw tonight.

I'm not saying Luck will be a legend like those guys are, but seriously your arguments for why you think Luck wouldn't be are ridiculously flawed.

Luck has all of the tools to be a great QB, just like RG3 does. They play two completely different styles. Luck is a prototypical Manning-type QB, while RG3 is more of a Vick but more accurate. Let them play out their rookie seasons before we predict on how their careers would pan out, and even then it would be way early to do so.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

yup, the debate might not even be settled after three years. Remember how Brees started his career?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

An excellent weekend for Art Briles QBs.

I'm withholding judgment for now on Luck and Griffin. The Colts are a much worse team than the Redskins, and the Bears have a much better defense than the Saints. Let's get a few more games in the books before we go off the deep end on either one of these guys.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The question posed in the past wasn't whether RG3 was a Hall of Famer waiting to happen..but whether he was an NFL QB at all. I think he answered that question yesterday.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

R "Jesus"....The DMV is going bananas.

9. rockbox

I knew he was going to be an NFL quarterback. He had all the physical gifts. The only question I had was if he was going to be a great or not. Needed to see if he could get through his progressions and read defenses fast enough to be elite. Now I think he can.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Yup a lot of things go into play. RG3 has huge advantages over luck in terms of better team talent and coaching.

But after watching Luck very closely last night and how fearless he is facing a tough Bears' D, he's going to be awesome. If they didn't miss a FG to make it a 1 score game in the 2nd quarter, the game would not have gotten out of hand like it did. He was able to drive on that defense, but couldn't finish.

11. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

sammy the guy didnt even have the balls to come out and admit that RG3 had a pretty good first game.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Just glad I drafted this guy in my fantasy leagues where I decided to take Vick.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

yea...even if not admitted publicly...the best thing a team can do to stop rg3 is to give him some hard hits and knock him out of the game if possible just like happens to vick on occassion. best way to stop speed is no speed and...PAIN!

teams are going to be gunning for him. if he can do what he did week in and week out (or even most of the games), then the redskins may be winning the division.

but, i still think the new orleans defense had a brutally bad game from the defensive coaches on down. they don't know what hit them and probably still don't. they couldn't cover anyone imo. either the redskins receivers are that good or the saints' secondary is that bad. it's somewhere in-between i'm sure...probably tipping the scale to a bad defense with a bad gameplan for stopping him. also, the saints had very little pressure from their line on rg3. once teams get a look at what rg3 is doing and what the redskins are running, then there will be defensive adjustments to take away some of that stuff.

but, in the end, if this guy can speed his way out of trouble and complete the passes he was completing in that last game, then the redskins could be trouble.

i don't believe in any qb coming up and instantly being great. there has to be some growing pains along the way.

14. sammy

Ugh I went with Cutler as my backup. Could have had this fool.

15. rockbox

Aren't you a Baylor alumn? How could you not pick him up as your backup?

16. sammy

Ya I thought Cutler would have a great year. Romo is my starter. Another Baylor alum scooped up RG 3. There are 3 in my league.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You don't think Cutler is going to have a great year? I expect him to light it up this season. 300+ yards and a couple of touchdowns in week 1 is nothing to sneeze at.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think everyone's discounting a big factor here: Shanahan. It's like Foster being perfect for the zone block, when the Shanahans, Mike and his "vision" and Kyle and his play design, handpicked their QB. Then they handpicked their receiver to pair with him. Now it's possible they might have found their next RB who can at the very least push the pile at 3ypc.

Griffin looks to be a perfect fit for Shanahan's bootleg offense.

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

RG3 is just FLAT OUT better

after Kendall Wright horrible 40 time... it was clear to me who was better between Luck and RG3.. but i kept quiet

People are making excuses for Luck saying that his O-Line is garbage, RG3 plays for a crap O-Line too.. he is just that good. Even at Baylor RG3's O-Line was garbage.

Meanwhile Andrew Luck played behind a brick-wall at Stanford with some really good offensive players. I know its early but you could make the case that Luck is being exposed without an offensive line.

People are claiming RG3 is hype... but if RG3 played like Luck and Luck played like RG3 this past week, these same people would be giving the same praise

Im willing to accept that Tony Romo had a better week 1 stat line on the road againist the champs. But for a rookie to play his first game in the DOME... and outduel Drew Brees( a guy who just set a record for passing yards a year earlier). It could have been a toss up

20. rockbox

When you make good decisions and can throw the ball accurately 50 yards down the field while running, you would fit in anyone's system.