1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Downey, Jr.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I freaking love this actor...I think he's wonderfully talented, and I pray his problems are in the past. I had the opportunity to meet his accountablity partner from prison rehabilitation and learned a little more about the guy, personally.

Downey's real life gets more attention than his movies
    By BARRY KOLTNOW
    The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES -- Cigarette in one hand, cup of coffee in the other, Robert Downey Jr. shuffles into the living room of his hotel suite and points to the sofa. "I am so there," he says before collapsing in a heap and covering half his body with a blanket. SEE IT NOW

The actor has two new films --The Singing Detective and Gothika (opening Nov. 21) -- and he has been answering questions all day.

Do you think that he's tired from answering questions about his new movies? Or do you suppose that he is exhausted from fielding endless questions about Robert Downey Jr.?

To his credit, he has not ducked the tough questions about the celebrated drug problems that landed him in prison. And he says he will continue to answer them gladly -- for about six more weeks.

"As of Thanksgiving this year, I am never going to respond to that set of questions again," the actor explained in a matter-of-fact manner that betrayed no sense of bitterness.
    Robert Downey Jr. plays a delusional writer living in his own fictional world in The Singing Detective.

"I need to put a cap on the topic; I need to set a boundary. As long as I don't move the line in the sand, I think that's fair. Besides, it will give these kinds of interviews the space to move into new frontiers.

"I'm not blaming the media for wanting to ask the questions," he added. "Who's responsible for limiting the frontiers up until now? I am."

Well, it's not Thanksgiving yet, so let's get on with it.

By his own accounts, Downey started smoking mar1juana at 6, and later developed a serious addiction to cocaine. He has made no secret of his use of heroin, methamphetamine and other drugs.

In 1996, he was arrested for the first of many times after being stopped for speeding. Police found drugs and a gun in his car. A month later, he was found unconscious in a neighbor's bed.

He served jail time on various occasions and then, finally, in August, 1999, was sentenced to three years in Corcoran State Prison for violating his probation on two occasions. With credit for time served, Prisoner P50522 was released from prison a year later. He had more legal problems after his release, which resulted in his being fired from the Ally McBeal television show. In all, he said he spent about two years of his life behind bars.

The 38-year-old Downey, who looks trim and muscular, says he is clean and sober, and works out regularly in a kung fu class. He holds up an athletic bag full of workout clothes and says he will go to the gym after his last interview of the day.

He was not a devotee of the martial arts when he went to prison, but he insists that it wouldn't have helped.

"Everything ends up on the floor anyway," he said of prison disagreements. "Even if you're an expert boxer, you wind up on the floor wrestling around. I chose just to stay out of everyone's way.

"It is a scary place. The closest I can come to describing the experience is that it must be like active military service. It is very unpredictable and your life is very much at risk. Everybody's life is at risk in there because everybody in there is dangerous in that situation. So I also became dangerous. I became as dangerous as I could considering the environment."

It may sound like a cliche, but Downey said prison made him a better human being. Inside those prison walls, Downey said he found the answers he needed, not necessarily from therapy but from his own self-discovery.

"Therapy doesn't always lead you to the truth," he said. "I have known since I was 15 that everyone creates their own deal. There are no victims, and it is a waste of time to make yourself a victim. When I was done with therapy, all my therapist said was, 'My diagnosis is that you're a miserable S.O.B.'

"So how much help could he have been?"

In Corcoran, Downey said he accepted full responsibility for everything wrong he had done with his life that landed him in prison. He said he never forgot that for a second.

But there was a moment, he said, upon waking up each morning when he would forget the mistakes. He would forget where he was. Only for a moment, though. As soon as his head cleared and he realized where he was, he said he felt "disappointed."

But the self-pity didn't last long. He said kept busy reading books, writing letters and working. More important, he kept focused.

"It's important to focus on what's right in front of you," he explained. "It could the correctional officers sitting in the rotunda, something inside your cell or whatever you can see out the window. If you focus like that, you don't notice the constraints.

"Once in a while, someone would get an Entertainment Weekly sent to them and I'd remember that other people were still going about their lives in the world I once was a part of, and there would be this pang in my stomach. I'd think, 'What have I done?' But then I'd go play handball or attend Catholic service or start drawing and the pang would go away.

"I just kept getting tougher every day. I decided that it was my job to get tougher and I became a tougher person than I ever imagined I could."

The son of an independent filmmaker and an actress, Downey made his show business debut at 5 in his father's film Pound. He made three more films with his father and dropped out of Santa Monica High School after the 11th grade to act in the John Sayles movie Baby, It's You. He has appeared in dozens of films and, interestingly, played a doomed junkie in the film Less Than Zero.

But he is best known for his Oscar-nominated role in the 1993 film Chaplin.

"If I had been hit by a piece of Skylab at the Chaplin premiere, I would have died believing I had lived a full life," he said. "I had experienced more by the time I was 25 that anyone could ever expect. Despite the misery and lousy childhood, I had had a real nice slice of the pie."

The amazing thing about Downey's career is that he still has one.

Despite the drug use, the legal battles and the public firings, he has managed to maintain a fairly steady acting career.

"His tremendous talent is part of the reason," explained Keith Gordon, who directed Downey in The Singing Detective.

"But it's more than that. There is something so vulnerable, so honest, so sad and so lovable about him. The audience can sense those things so they keep wanting to see him in movies, and people in the movie industry sense it and keep hiring him."

In the film, based on the British TV miniseries, Downey plays a crime novelist who is hospitalized with a debilitating skin disease (it took up to six hours a day to apply the makeup) who teeters between reality and fantasy as he tries to come to grips with his life.

It is part-film noir, part-psychological drama and even part-musical. It also hits close to home. The lead character's name is Dan Dark, but it could just as well have been Robert Downey Jr.

"The film is about a man climbing out from the darkness of his soul, and I figured out right away that this could have been about Robert," the film's director said. "In the beginning, I think Robert had a hard time acknowledging that but near the end of filming, I walked up to him and said, "You know what this film is about, don't you?" And he said, "Yes."

Downey was still on probation when filming began but Mel Gibson, who not only produced The Singing Detective but plays an unglamorous secondary role in it (bald and wearing glasses), hired him anyway. Gibson and Downey have been friends since they starred together in the 1990 movie Air America.

Gibson was not available to discuss the hiring of Downey but Gordon said the men appeared to have a close relationship, with Gibson protectively watching out for Downey like a big brother.

Downey said the experience of working on The Singing Detective in 2002, shortly after completing his debt to society, was restorative.

"It was such cathartic release to work so hard on something so different that I surprisingly wasn't tired when it was over," the actor said. "I felt revitalized."

In his next film, Gothika, he plays a therapist opposite Halle Berry.

Downey is no longer on probation. He is no longer on parole. He says he will never go back to his former life.

Affecting a sarcastic tone, Downey said: "I just loved it when people said, "Well, he's not hurting anyone but himself."

"I liked that so much that I ran with it for a while. But, it's so not true. Drug abuse is wrong. It's not OK. I let down everyone who ever cared about me.

"I took my life to the 11th hour and the 59th minute. Luckily, the clock didn't strike midnight and I didn't turn into a pumpkin. If the clock had struck, I don't think I would have survived."

Not only did he survive, but his career survived as well.

"I never sat in prison and worried about whether I still would have a career when I got out. But I did wonder what I would do next. What do you do when the party's over and you really have to face living your life without drugs?

"I am finding that it's a lot easier to act when you're not tearing yourself up inside. To act is to play an instrument, but how can you play the saxophone when it's filled with Crisco? Right now, all I'm putting into my body are cigarettes and coffee. Those are my last two addictions. And they'll go sooner or later.

"At this point in my life, I'm going for progress, not perfection."

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

"I have enough tranquilizer darts to take out Robert Downey, Jr."

"ah"

"oh"

"Come on, now, that's not cool"

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I believe that his parent's started him out on pot as a pre-teen. I really like Downey, Jr. too. I hope he keeps that problem behind him. He is a likeable talent-- don't ask him to sing, though!

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

superb actor....I hope he stays clean. He's made it this far....

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

do people cut as much for the average Dope Head
    or
    just those that entertain us

If you have a talent we will forgive anything

Rocket River
    still cannot beleive some of the crap 'celebrities' get away with

6. MadMax

what did he get away with? he was in prison for a very long time. went through rehab...i think he's paid his debt.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I thought he was brilliant in Weird Science. :D

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The average dope head can't afford his/her habit.....a big reason for a lot of crime.

Not that this makes an excuse for Robert Downey Jr......he could just as easily have gotten wasted and plowed into your family with his SUV. Whether you get shot in the head by someone stealing the fifteen bucks in your wallet or whether you get run over by some wasted crackhead.....you're still dead.

But back to your question.....I wish all people addicted to drugs could get clean, but do I wistfully await the day the crackhead down the street gets clean, goes to community college, and becomes the next staff accountant at some respectful but boring business? Actually, I've never thought about it much until now. I just hope they get clean and lead a good life. I don't really care which route they take. If they do something that entertains me, all the more better.

On the other hand, do I await the day that Robert Downey Jr. has his next academy worthy gig? Yes....and for exactly the reason that you state: because he entertains me. So yeah, although I wish all addicted people could get clean, I'm specifically interested in RDJ getting clean. Self serving to be sure, but I'm certainly not going to feel guilty about it.

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Great read. Thanks for the post, MadMax.

It's sad when someone can't shake their personal demons. Hope he can continue in the right direction.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What's wrong with pulling more for someone who does something for you (entertainment, food, sex, employee, whatever) instead of someone who just seems useless to you? (For the sake of argument).

11. MadMax

this happens more than you might think..i know at least 2 individuals who have left that addiction behind them, after years of struggle and work, to now hold respectable jobs that allow them to provide for their families. and it's absolutely incredible!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly.
    They did it with out fanfare
    with out everyone supporting and backing them
    They did it alone. . . . .They are who I root for

and to be honest . . . .right about now
    I'm just a little chafed with the whole R Kelly thing

The love and respect he getting eats at me. . . .
    irratates me to no end.

Rocket River
    on a morality rant . . .. nothing to see here. . . move on
    :mad:

13. MadMax

i don't think there's anything wrong with rooting for anyone who's trying to overcome some negative force in their life

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

"I'm Ian, this is Max...we call him Mad Max"

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This party's lame, Max!
    What about the girls?
    Girls, shmirls!

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Tomfoolery...

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Ballyhoo...

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I actually partied with RD one night.....that guy really knows how to do it right. He is like a train and everyone just got out of his way..

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It is very hard to care about someone who means nothing to you. This gives people in public life an advantage in situations such as this. We feel (or don't feel as in the case of Rush Limbaugh!) a tug for them because they aren't anonymous.

That's not wrong. I doubt anybody wishes anyone (except Rush Limbaugh again) a continuing frustration with their demons.