1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roadrunner with AOL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Sensei, Nov 14, 2005.

1. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Has anyone in the Houston area signed up for RoadRunner with AOL? Both for $30.00. I got a promotional flyer in the mail, so I call to set it up, and the automated machine keeps looping me on an endless touch-tone cycle...

I'm sure there are many of you that say 'SCREW AOL' and '#### Time Warner'. I for one have been a relying on AOL's dial-up to get online at home. Since I was looking to upgrade to cable, I might as well take advantage of this offer. Which brings me to my second question...

Would they be able to transfer my AOL account without hassle so that I get one simple bill from Time Warner? Or is it going to lead me into a complicated process of altering my current AOL account so I can add the high-speed internet service???

Thanks in advance.

#1 The Sensei, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

SCREW AOL (but I think highly of TW's broadband service)

I feel better. ;)

3. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Frustrations continue... I sent them an E-mail yesturday, and still no response. So how's Verizon or SBC?

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

"How are you connected to the internet?"
    "AOL"

:eek:

"AOL customer" was key phrase in my Apple Tech support. It meant the following:

I am likely going to have to refer to the monitor as the "TV looking part" at some point in the call.
    This idiot has no clue how to do anything on their computer. The phrase "Click on the desktop" will be followed by a long, uncomfortable silence on the other end of the phone.
    The computer they bought is powerful enough to handle what ever they ask it to do, forever. As long as it has a working modem. That's right forever. PM 9600 with 32 MB of RAM? They are good for eternity because all they can do with their dial up is email and possibly AIM (if they are an advanced AOL user).

The really good part for front line is that they could change a single setting, tell them to try it (which means they would have to hang up with Apple to redial the modem) and the tech dumps the call.

Bad news for help desk since after doing that twice, front line is required to escalate the call.

All fun aside, RR rocks, but why you would combine it with AOL is a mystery to me.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Speak of the devil ... not AOL, but I was just trying to setup RoadRunner installation and called for rates. The $29.95 for the first 6 months sounded good, until the $78.95 installation charge was mentioned. Talk about killing any savings there for the first 6 months.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

That's weird. Installation fees always seem to be waived.

EDIT: if by installation you mean they need to pull the co-axial cables to your residence, then *perhaps* it's justified. Otherwise if installation merely means activation of signal sent to the cable box outside your home, then TW is clearly ripping you off.

#6 wnes, Nov 15, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding! You should be able to get them to install those puppies for free, Clutch. Give them the old, "Look, I'm going to be upfront with you here. If I have to pay to get this installed, then I'm going to go with Dish." (or whoever you find that's got a deal on installation, or lower prices and so on.) I do this every once in a while here in Austin with T/W cable, and get discounts on everything from the Playboy channel to the monthly RoadRunner bill. Works like a charm. They don't want to lose a customer who buys a lot of services from them, which is me, and probably you. Good luck!

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

If you're going to get cable, go through Earthlink. They still use TW's lines, and from what I've found it's usually cheaper. My monthly rate is only $39.95 (no contract) compared to normal Roadrunner rates which I think are $49.95.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yeah but you do not get an EarthLink IP :(

Question for Earthlink Cable users.