1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RoadRunner Cable Internet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HtownRocks, Dec 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. HtownRocks

HtownRocks Member

Im thinking about getting that. But Im wondering how does it connect. Is it through a cable wire, or through a phone line? Thats why I dont want DSL, cause I have to have a line installed. Plus, can I get cable TV WITH the Roadrunner? thanks

2. esse

esse Member

Its a cable wire, just like cable tv.
    They give you the modum, usually a Toshiba.

You only get cable tv if you pay for it otherwise, you only get internet connection coming through the pipe.

I've used RR for almost 5 years or so.
    I freakin' love it.
    I reach speeds of T2 usually.
    Nothing below 1000Kbps though...

Good luck!
    :)

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

Ditto here.

I only use a cell phone, so I couldn't get DSL. Roadrunner's supposed to be faster in big cities too. Do it, there's a bunch of reasons why.

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Answer already posted, but I'm not wasting a long post:

One last question, how do you not have a phone line in your place?!?!

5. Mack

Mack Member

My mom just got Roadrunner. There was a promotion for $29.95 for the first six months, with free jack installation for up to 3 exterior rooms. The catch is you have to buy digital cable for the free installation, but it is worth it for the free installation.

The speed is 3 Mbps downstream, 384 kbps upstream.

Unfortunately I have Cox right now, it is only 1 Mbps downstream, 128 upstream, and costs like $40 more a month for digital cable plus high-speed compared to the Time-Warner/RoadRunner offerings. So I think RoadRunner is a pretty good deal.

You attach your cable modem to the cable jack, and your computer to the cable modem. If you want to run high-speed to more than one computer, put a router between your cable modem and computer(s).

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

RR is great if you can afford it. I've had it for a few years now and couldn't live without it. Just don't think you're going to "see how it is". Once you get something that fast you won't be able to switch back to dial-up. Like esse posted, mine has just been screamin'. (don't love the bill, but it's damn fast!)

I live in Austin and, unlike Mr. Mooch, I've had very little trouble at all. The few times I've had a problem there was an excellent response from their service people on the phone. I really dig it.

7. Fatty FatBastard

I haven't bothered with anything but my cell phone for about two years!

Get with the times, man! Land lines are like soooo yesterday.:p

8. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

Mooch, what in the hell is any of this talking about? That last paragraph is slightly accurate, and the part about no log offs is true too...but the rest is totally off the wall.

But I get my RR for $30.06 monthly for a year, and like Deckard says, it's insanely fast. Faster than any DSL I've ever used.

BTW, Fatty Fat isn't lying. With the amount of long distance calls I make to Houston and the fact that my plan's as cheap as a land-line and includes more than enough minutes, I haven't had one of those antique phones for more than a year.

9. Mr. Mooch

Hmm, must be a Southern thing. I agreed with you that it's much, much, much faster than DSL, and I don't use RR. Comcast is what I use, and they have the world's worst tech support.

I just found it unusual that a house or apartment or whatever isn't even wired with phone lines.

That's right, b****.

10. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

WTF? I would laugh at that but I'm not sure if I was supposed to. Are you being serious?

11. Mr. Mooch

Of course,

12. Man

Man Member

Do you think the cable company TW will install cable internet upstairs..like from the cable box outside and link it along the wall and through the 2nd story wall...? Or will they charge extra fees?

Get cable! You won't regret it...56k no more!!! I cannot stand it..

13. Mr. Mooch

I had to get about 30 feet rerouted from the basement because the guy couldn't find where it ended or began. So there was an amazing line that made it's way through the attic.

I found the base of the cable days later under a seat cushion that blocked the port in the wall.

I don't think the guy cahrged for the cable; more like hourly fee/service call.

Again, it's a Comcast thing.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I agree there is no way in hell i could go back to 56k

15. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

Okay, so that quote apparently was a previous post of yours and I apparently insulted you by questioning it in the manner that I did. I mistakenly thought that you had looked up a review of cable from someone. I apologize for sounding abrasive with my reply, because it wasn't meant that way. Now, I'm still baffled by your "b****" comment. I'm probably reading that one wrong too, but the way I took it was you calling me a b****. If that is indeed the case, I sincerely do not appreciate it. If I am again misreading, I apologize for making a big deal out of it.

But in regard to the phone thing, my house is wired with phone lines but none of them are active. You have to get an actual account with a phone company before you get any DSL, and that's what we were saying that we lacked.

I must be having a bad communication day here or something.

16. Mr. Mooch

Wow, I've never seen such a long apology on something so simple.

Just remember that a.) I am enrolled at a school that's 99% black and I'm a white Jew. Think about that for a second. Apparently I'm very tite wit dem. They call me cracka; I call dem *****. It's like I'm an honorary bro.

and b.) don't take anything I say seriously.

EVER.

b****

17. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

Okay, I totally undertand now.

18. mulletman

mulletman Member

isnt earthlink cheaper than roadrunner even though they both run off the same network??

19. Mr. Mooch

We tite?

20. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member