1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rivers/House depreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

They just aren't cut out for the playoffs. Both had nice regular season moments but the playoffs kicked these boys' ass. I guess there is a chance House comes back as others may not want him. He was turning the corner and then busted our whole bubble.

Bring back Maclemore and let him play.

JuNx, Rudyc281, waytookrzy079 and 2 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

These two are at the top of my wishlist to move, even if it's for junk. House is a serviceable 3&D forward, but whatever happened has burned that bridge. I hope he has some trade value.

Rivers was unplayable and I'm not sure why he was getting playing time over Moute or Carroll, no matter how washed up they are. I remember many thinking it was a bargain to get him back on a good contract. I did too, at the time, thinking that he was pretty good defensively. Not sure if my eyes deceived me or something changed this year because he was poor. He has an ugly unreliable shot and is not a great finisher.

Covington originally came to the Rockets shooting 40%+ and deflecting everything. In the playoffs his shot became erratic and he still got his box score stats but was repeatedly torched by faster guards, putting him in foul trouble. He also apparently forgot how to box out in the Lakers series.

McLemore was a redemption story but in the playoffs he had too short of a leash that made him obviously tentative. He started rushing his shots, overthinking his game, and looking completely lost again. He needs to be used in a Lou Williams-lite role.

Jeff Green was more often than not a top 3 player for the team throughout his tenure. I like him as an off-the-bench small ball C.

PJ gets a pass if we keep him on the bench or play him at PF. He is no longer quick enough to guard quick players.

As GM my game plan would be to find a coach I believe in and give them free reign to partner with me and flip every single player that's not James Harden for new blood.

#2 napalm06, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Austin is a decent defender and a good finisher around the rim, but no way he should be getting rotation minutes on a championship level team. He should be 8th man on the Kings or something like that.

I thought House came a long way. I thought his absence really hurt us. I'd like him back, especially on his contract, but I'd understand it if they dealt him.

I wish McLemore had gotten more run during the playoffs. I guess his defense is bad but was Rivers slowing any of the Lakers down? I think MDA made a big mistake not playing him.

Would love Green back off the bench and at the right price.

PJ looked old in the playoffs. I would not extend him.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

House is an idiot but Rivers is pure trash.

CK Johnson and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Rivers has a player option for next year so maybe he’ll leave on his own. As for House....package him with Gordon and see what is out there

Rudyc281 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I can understand House needing a fresh start somewhere else, but I think his 3 year $11 million contract (2 years remaining) is very Rockets friendly. Obviously he can be part of a deal for better talent, but I think I'd be against moving him solely due to his awful decision during the bubble.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

House is actually a player we "developed". Hopefully the next coach allows these types to play around and **** up during the regular season. Need that kind of experience to grow for when it really matters instead of past Rockets coaches that only plays people they trust by gut.

Players like Rivers or Bmac are cheap dented cans on clearance because you can't spring for the name brands.

They're also the type some people here would go crazy for if you loaded them up for a scrub heavy Round One only team.

But hey...dat 22 game win streak. Such heart!! Such grit and passion! And NO HARDEN...MEWANTSOBAD!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. riko

riko Member

McLemore deserves a chance to comeback for the minimum . Jeff Green will surly be retained as well. He was a huge revelation.

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and waytookrzy079 like this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought House was actually really good these playoffs. It's a shame what happened with him, I think we have to get rid of him, but it's not for his on court performance.

10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

He can be the “sweetener” in any deal that’s out there. I don’t think Harden can trust him. He was a major part of what the Rockets did offensively, defensively and from a rotation standpoint. That’s now twice he’s let the Rockets down in the playoffs.

“Fool me once, strike 1. Fool me twice, strike 3”
    - Michael Scott.

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t know if House should come back. What he did was so idiotic and indefensible I’m just not sure you want him back, even though he is a really good fit for the team. His actions pretty much killed any chance we might have had against the lakers, and that’s going to be really hard to get over I think.

deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

House has a value contract and preformed way above it. Hopefully the bubble is gone for ever so how he acts in it is now mute. It is sad his personal life got so much media attention. I feel for his wife and kids most. BUT I am not looking for a friend. Let him play basketball that‘s all I really care about him —> basketball player out playing his contract in area of need. I say we keep the POS.

bj3175 likes this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

Anything over a vet minimum is to much for Rivers. I do like his play but he is not that hard to replace with a vet minimum player —> 3rd string talent. Maybe the next guy will shoot better from 3. That said if he is willing to work on the cheap then please stay with us.

#13 fattz, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

House is a solid bench player, we can’t afford to throw away a rotation player on a 3 mill deal out of anger of his immaturity.

Rivers has a player option, it’s his choice if he comes back, he’s on a min deal, it’s our coaches choice whether he gets minutes or not. Again we have incredibly weak depth, im fine with keeping him, but we need to look for a better backup PG simultaneously.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Imagine if Jeff Green vanished.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I doubt Doc will be talking smack at Austin this Thanksgiving.

Chuck Nevitt and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Immaturity is one thing, but what he did goes far beyond that. He puts himself first, team second at the worst possible time of the year. Kick him to the curb and give his salary to Hartenstein.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I thought House played well in the bubble but yea he's an idiot and who knows if they'll allow him to stay. Rivers is USELESS, he does absolutely nothing good or at least average except drive but he hardly ever did that in the playoffs (or hardly ever did that without turning the ball over). At least with B-Mac he brings you something above average in aone category.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If we are going to make this work, everyone except Harden, Russ, and RoCo needs to be on the block. We need depth, a versatile big (Christian Wood), and a reliable ball-handler off the bench (which Rivers was not). I expect Rivers to come back on a minimum, but we need more.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

House actions should have repercussions but I'm saddened by people's judgments of him. What he did was bad, a lot more in relation to his wife, children, family and personal life but no way should he just not come back and be given a second chance. Come on now...have a little forgiveness in your heart. I know it's fresh, but I would welcome him back, granted he truly repents and certain requirements would have to be met.

As far as Rivers goes, I would not mind bringing him back on a minimum contract or to get rid of him. Don't care either way. He was awful and we don't need a semi-decent ball handler off the bench anyway. We have Gordon for that. He should be replaced by Gerald Green, who should be back plain and simple, and then either can help another team or be a 3rd string guard in case of injuries. Nothing more.

McLemore should be back, like others have said, his performance has a lot to do with confidence and the shortest leash possible by MDA. Unacceptable. He was doing good so I imagine he'll be back. Then the last guy we need to discuss is Tucker and while I love the guy's attitude and defense, we should not overrate him and his misses from three killed us as well as his tendency to foul big men. That's not necessarily on him as I definitely hope a new coach coming in would either put him at the 4 or off the bench. If that's not the plan and PJ asks too much, then I'd be willing to move on with the promise of a taller, more athletic big in return.

JuNx likes this.