1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Rockets Switching Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Oct 26, 2018.

1. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Can't wait for the Blazers game then.

juanm34 likes this.
  2. threepointshot3

Cj and will rock and roll

#22 threepointshot3, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

The Lakers, Pels, and Clippers were the three top paint scoring team last year.

The Lakers added LeBron and McGee and lost Randle

The Pels lost boogie but added Randle

The Clippers lost Jordan but increased Harrell’s playing time and got Gortat who is historically one of the better PnR finishers in the leaue

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

To blame new rules is a copout.

1) We dont have the personnel. Our off-season moves ignored defense and we are seeing the results.
    2) We dont have the coaching to coach the news guys to make whatever improvements they could. He bailed knowing full well that we dont have the right players.
    3) We dont need to play switching defense 100% of the time. Just because it works against the Warriors does not mean it is the most effective against every other offense. But again we dont have very good defenders on the team, so our defense isn't going to be great even if we change it. And our current coach cant coach defense, no matter what kind of defense you try.

Suck it up buttercups.

justtxyank, BaselineFade and kjayp like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Offense or defense...

PLAY THE TEAM IN FRONT OF YOU!

It always drives me crazy when I hear "we're just gonna play our game..." - thats a shortcut to thinking and proper preparation...

As others have said - we dont have to switch 100% of the time....
    and I would add we dont have to be reliant on the 3ball every game....

Despite how we've played this year, I believe we are better than the vast majority of teams out there... if we would just play smart and taper our game to the team we are actually playing - we would get better results...

Having strategies is great... it's even better when you adjust those strategies based on your opponent...

What will work best against GSW may not be the best course of action against the Pelicans or whoever else...

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Not if CP3 got in a fight and Harden/Ariza both suffered hamstring injuries

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The Rockets awful defense has basically nothing to do with the new rules. Instead it's due to,

A: losing their defensive coach,
    B: with adding new players who are terrible defensive players and adding new players to a switching scheme they aren't familiar with yet and finally
    C: the last and most important reason, losing two of their best defensive players from last years rotation.

9. psaman17

psaman17 Member

So you're saying if the team is bad, every matchup is hard?

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Not a good sign when you have to abandon a key principle 5 games into the season.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Question

Is there any good defensive coaches that are available out there aside from JVG....??

12. BackdoorHarden

PJ said we miss Ariza and da Prince Luc

He also said Melo sucks on D.

forward P.J. Tucker, who the Rockets consider is their best defender: "It's tough, it's tough, it's tough. It's really tough. When you were so good at something, you miss a few pieces of role guys that could really do that and fit in that. Like I said, it's not the same team. It's a different team. It's not the same team. I hate talking about last year anymore, because it's gone. It's not the same team, so we have to figure it out."

"
    Switching is especially problematic for forward Carmelo Anthony, as opponents often target the 16-year veteran, trying to get him matched up against their best creators. According to NBA.com's statistics, the Rockets have allowed 116.1 points per 100 possessions with Anthony on the floor, compared to 105.3 points per 100 possessions when he sits.

"We've just got to figure out how exactly we want to play defensively," said Anthony, who scored a team-high 24 points while making his first start Wednesday with reigning MVP James Harden and small forward James Ennis sidelined due to hamstring strains. "This team this year is completely, totally different from the team they had last year.

"I think we have to focus on the team that we have now and kind of put that behind us of what was going on last year. A lot of guys weren't here last year, so now it's time for us to create our own identity for what this team is and what we're going to be moving forward."

psaman17 likes this.
  13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This doesn't sound like 'Run it back'

It IS a defensive coaching problem. We have had stints with the same 5 guys on the floor at once like last season, they were able to switch and succeed last season but all of a sudden can't or haven't been able to this season.

That is a coaching problem.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This makes me so sad.

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

We don't have a ton of movement off the ball like other teams that are benefiting from this. We are an ISO and kick out team basically which doesn't really get the benefit from the calls.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

No I’m saying we played 3 teams that are the best at getting points in the paint and that’s exactly what happened.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

juanm34 likes this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

With Bzdelik gone there appears to be no adjustments made to counter what the other team is doing. Tonight was another definition of insanity as we continued to let the Clippers abuse us inside. Monty looked like an all-world inside player. We need a defensive overhaul and I'm not sure 2 days of practice will do it.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25094557/chris-paul-says-houston-rockets-need-changes-defense

#39 daywalker02, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Zergling likes this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely should of been figured out in training camp. It sucks that the staff couldn't figure out this **** then. Now we are in a hole. I am sure we will eventually start winning just due to the talent that we have, but the magic of being a contender, man I hate to say this, but it's probably not going to be there this year. What a major major bummer.

Shark44 likes this.