1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Peter O'Toole

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dragician, Dec 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dubious

Dubious Member

Yeah it's been universally acclaimed for 50 years but I guess since you don't see it, it's not that great.

It is widely considered one of the greatest and most influential films in the history of cinema.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    216 min - Adventure | Biography | Drama - 30 January 1963 (Canada)
    8.4 Your rating: -/10 Ratings: 8.4/10 from 133,450 users Metascore: 100/100
    Reviews: 496 user | 169 critic | 7 from Metacritic.com

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    TOMATOMETERAll CriticsTop Critics
    Average Rating: 8.9/10
    Reviews Counted: 65
    Fresh: 64 | Rotten: 1 < That's you

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

Agree to disagree. You aren't going to convince me to love the movie, and I'm not going to convince you that it's not a complete snoozefest. Look, I even suggested to the other poster that he kills 4 hours of his life to formulate his own opinion. Be happy that I encouraged somebody to watch it rather than cautioning them to avoid it altogether. (Jontro, make sure you have a 4-pack of Redbull on hand before you press play though).

I am but a simpleton waiting for the next Avengers movie...

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

"Since I don't see it"?? See what? I'm entitled to my own opinion. And it's a good feeling to be able to formulate my own rather than simply say it's awesome because it grades out high on rottentomatoes.com.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully you can get in the right frame of mind one day, because I swear to you, it is an unbelievable movie experience.

I enjoy a few beers and an Avengers movie too, but I can also appreciate the finer things.

(Queue Steve Francis music video)

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Most teenagers would ask the same question If they were showed this movie in class.

It takes some seasoning to really appreciate it, I think. Spielberg said it took him months... The writing and the dialogue is my favorite aspect of the film.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree 100%

O'Toole was a brilliant actor.

7. percicles

percicles Member

I took my twelve year old nephew to see it at the Alamo recently. It was a new 4K print. He really loved it. Didn't know the history behind it but followed the plot and characters well enough.

It really is one of those rare films that has to be seen on the big screen. I don't even think new 70' + blu ray can do it justice.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Yes, Lawrence of Arabia is one of the great films of all time. I saw the 90's release in a DC theater and then went out and bought Lawrence's book, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Kind of amazing how much O'Toole looked like him, I think:

[​IMG]

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

While, of course, Lawrence of Arabia was fantastic, I think it bears mentioning that the man was a masterful actor in MANY films, and has left behind a body of work most actors would give their right arm for. Some of my personal favorites: How to Steal a Million (if you haven't seen this romantic heist comedy with Audrey Hepburn, you've really missed out on one of his best performances), and My Favorite Year ("I'm not an ACTOR, I'm a MOVIE STAR!"). Just a brilliant performer.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Most teenagers would prefer watching this :p

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tJC9kDxCCsU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Asian Sensation

Never heard of him or seen any of his work but that was boss indeed. The Man can dress like no other as well and he makes smoking look good. I'll be watching Lawrence of Arabia stat.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

RIP and salute with a drink, great guy.

13. ILoveWhiteGirls

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hmm... is it really that boring? As long as it's not English Patient boring, then I can probably go through it in 2 sittings (3.6 hours!). I don't have the patience of watching movies at home these days. Plus I always watch the beginning then skip to the end... and then work my way to the middle.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

Ha...I thought The English Patient was a great movie. My guess is you get fidgety after about 25 minutes of LoA.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Watching LOA is something you have to do when you are just in those moods to have a night completely to yourself. After a hard break up is a good time.

I remember in 03 after a bad breakup I went to the store, bought an 24 pack and stayed home for a whole 3 day weekend and watched 6 netflix movies.

Watched LOA, Fargo, North by northwest, Maltese Falcon, Chinatown and Blue Velvet for the first time. Changed my perspective a bit and got over the breakup just like that. I had to watch for classics.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOA is a fantastic film, one of the best of all time, it is character driven and beautifully shot.

A must see .

DD

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

LOA is great, and holds up fantastically. The performance was amazing, and the film itself is just beautiful to look at. Completely amazing.

O'Toole was great in most everything he did. I especially loved his work in "My Favorite Year"