1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Peter O'Toole

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dragician, Dec 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. dragician

dragician Member

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I always loved what he brought to his acting roles. He just seemed totally unique apart from any other actors IMO. He will be missed. RIP

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems to me that Peter O'Toole would be the last person who'd want the afterlife to be either restful or peaceful. If anything, he'd want to resume the craziness of his youth.

So instead of saying RIP, I think I'll just raise my drink in his honor. It just seems more appropriate.

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Best actor of his generation. My first intro to his work was The Last Emperor. RIP good man.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

like a boss

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K561m7Nq7kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I'll drink to your drinking! And one to the great Irish actor. Have fun in heaven raising hell.

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

his ending monologue in ratatouille is what makes that movie one of my all time pixar favorites

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

RIP.

Lawrence of Arabia is one of the finest movies I've ever seen. I just saw Venus a few weeks ago, and I remembered thinking of his age.

9. Raven

Raven Member

An incredible film with some incredible performances.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP. A great actor who brought a lot of elegance to his roles. I liked how Michael Fassbender based his role in Prometheus on O'Toole from Lawrence of Arabia. It was a great homage to the otherworldliness of O'Toole.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Way before my time, but I'll have to check out Lawrence of Arabia one of these days. Didn't realize he was the star in it.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lawrence Of Arabia is the finest film I have ever seen.

So much depth and complexity.

13. Commodore

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a3tuBFHuYV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Last of a dying breed. RIP

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

RIP.

But...Lawrence of Arabia...let's just say that movie does not hold up over time. Not a knock against him, just shocked to see multiple posters say it's the finest film they've ever seen.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

I'd be curious to hear what somebody who's never seen it before thinks of it.

And I'd be shocked if you can get through it.

17. Commodore

I agree with this for the most part, but it is beautifully shot.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/gdSz8WsNSYY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/gdSz8WsNSYY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I completely disagree, and I have to question anyone's film sensibilities If they can't "get" Lawrence Of Arabia. What hasn't held up over time? Lawrence's brilliance is in its dialogue, camera work and acting, along with it's hugely debated overarching themes. Sure, I don't expect our resident (The Dark Knight) fanboys to get it, but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed.

Complex characters, complex dialogue and one of the most intriguing themes in all of film history. I have yet to see a more quotable movie, maybe The Godfather.

If you don't see Lawrence as one of the greatest films ever made, I highly suggest you watch it again, and again and again, until you get it. The answers are there, though they are not plainly written. In fact, nothing is written...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OX3bqRemW8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#19 RudyTBag, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  20. conquistador#11

there is no honor amongst people who don't enjoy lawrence of arabia!
    What I enjoyed most from O'toole was that he gave it his all no matter how big or small his role in a project was.

1 person likes this.