1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Pete Postlethwaite

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A great and iconic actor.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40885905

Oscar-nominated actor Pete Postlethwaite dies
    'The Usual Suspects' and 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park' star was 64

LONDON — Oscar-nominated actor Pete Postlethwaite, a craggy-faced British character actor described by director Steven Spielberg as "the best actor in the world," has died at age 64 after a long battle with cancer.

Friend and journalist Andrew Richardson said Monday that Postlethwaite died in a hospital Sunday.

The actor was instantly recognizable for his unusually shaped face — with prominent cheekbones that gave him a lean, rugged look — and his intense eyes. He was not conventionally handsome like many film stars but had a powerful presence and authenticity on screen and on stage.

His extended battle against cancer was well documented in the local newspapers where he lived in rural Shropshire, 170 miles northwest of London. He had recently thanked the staff at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for their kind treatment and care.
    "They have been wonderful and I am grateful to them," he told the Shropshire Star newspaper. "I cannot thank them enough for everything that they have done for me."

Postlethwaite originally wanted to be a priest but was drawn to acting despite his father's objections about the insecurity of a career in show business. He worked first as a drama teacher before striking out on his own.

Like many English actors, he started his career on stage, performing at the Everyman Theatre in Liverpool and working with the Royal Shakespeare Company.

He branched out into movies and television work in the 1980s, most often taking roles as an occasionally menacing working-class figure.

He reached what some viewed as his professional peak when he received a best supporting actor Oscar nomination for his role in "In the Name of the Father", a film starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Emma Thompson. Postlethwaite played Day-Lewis' father in the drama about the complex ramifications of Day-Lewis' forced confession to an IRA bombing he didn't commit.

He had recently been seen in the critically acclaimed film "Inception" and had worked with Spielberg on "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" and "Amistad" in performances that sparked the extravagant compliment from Spielberg, a longtime admirer.
    Despite the plaudits, and the steady flow of quality roles, Postlethwaite never fully embraced the Hollywood star culture and kept a good distance between himself and the film colony.

Friends and colleagues described him as honest and down-to-earth in a profession filled with big egos.

"Anyone who worked with him felt great affection for him," actor David Schneider told BBC News. "He was very un-actory. Sort of like a national treasure. There is so much affection for him, a wonderful actor and a wonderful bloke."

Postlethwaite liked the rural life, spending his final years in rural England while remaining active in films and on stage. He recently made a triumphant return to the Everyman Theatre in Liverpool to star as King Lear.

Postlethwaite did not become a household name in much of the world — he is said to have resisted an agent's efforts to come up with a stage name that would be easier to pronounce and remember — but he was honored by Queen Elizabeth II when he received an OBE award in 2004.
    He was a political activist known for his opposition to the war in Iraq and his calls for policies to fight global warming. He used a wind turbine at his home to generate electricity and made other "green" alterations to the property.

He is survived by his wife, Jacqui, his son Will and daughter, Lily.

2. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

He was one of those guys who I recognized in movies but never found out the name. Now I know. RIP.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Damn a real shame, he'll be missed, the last thing I saw him in was The Town. RIP

4. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

RIP. Was awesome "In The Name of The Father".

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

RIP - I liked his work.

DD

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

He was the only redeeming performance in JPII. He saved that movie all by himself.

RIP

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I just watched The Town and Inception this week, didnt even know he had cancer

rip

8. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

9. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

KOBAYASHI NOOOO

10. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Rest in peace. He was absolutely phenomenal in The Town. Great actor.

11. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he did great work...

RIP...

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Your lawyer has passed..... :(

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I was wondering why I knew that face!

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

RIP Memorable in many movies

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Glad he was a part of the bestest movie evaarrs in The Last of The Mohicans. Great soundtrack too.

Rest In Peace.

16. Journeyman MC

Journeyman MC Member

That's too bad, he was excellent in every role I've seen him play. I liked his performance in Spike Lee's 25th Hour to name another. Great actor....

1 person likes this.
  17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Courtroom scenes in Amistad. Kind of reminded me of Soda Popinski.

18. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Usual Suspects, In the Name of the Father, DragonHeart, and Inception.. damn RIP.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

James and the Giant Peach
    Brassed Off
    Hamlet (1990)
    Distant Voices, Still Lives

RIP

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sad. I thought he was older than that. RIP