1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Maya Angelou

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, May 28, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

She was a great woman who lived a full and GREAT life. RIP, we just lost one of America's greatest literatus.

2. battousai

battousai Member

Ok, This is illusional by some of you. This season is a failure, just look at Morey's answer. He said we didn't make the goal, which means a failure. Stop telling us that this isn't a championship yet therefore we are ok with another first round exit. We made the first round last season without Howard and we made it again to first round. What is it telling you? Dont forget we wont have Asik as backup Center anymore, which isn't a big of a deal until the playoffs where teams will hack a howard more.

No one has mentioned why we lost an assiatant coach right before the playoffs. Why during the crucial moment? Did McHail somehow said "we dont need you in the playoffs as I can coach them better than you on defense"???

There is no guarantee getting Love will get us to that better place, we dont even know how more stacked would the west be. Let alone who we would end up matching again. With the additional of Love, assuming we get him, think we can pass Thunders, Spurs, or Clippers? Think McHail is up for the task?

3. bmd

bmd Member

Because Sampson got the job as University of Houston head coach...

He got a better job.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

RIP to one of the most inspirational voices ever.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Dam Nook, your a really smart guy. I never got the feeling she talked above anyone even for my level of education. She was cool man.

1 person likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey said they were disappointed with their playoff performance, but it was telling that they weren't yet at the level they need to be. Notice how he pointed out that even when they did win, it wasn't in the margins that would point to their strength to excel deeper into the playoffs against an even better opponent.

Morey's statements after the season IMO seem to suggest that despite hitting their regular season goals & showing improvement in the areas they were looking to improve internally, they just aren't good enough yet to be a serious contender. A big part of that is on the defense which is obviously going to be the #1 area addressed both from the FO to the coaches, and the coaches(new and old) to the players.

Not really sure what the problem is here you are talking about? This all seems pretty obvious to me.

Assistant coach Kelvin Sampson got offered a great coaching gig at the University of Houston, and HAD TO leave at that time-frame since it was about to be the most important time for the University of Houston to recruit for next season. Recruiting in college sports is pretty much like draft night, the trade deadline, and the July free agency all in one. He had to leave the Rockets when he did.

If you are insinuating bad blood between McHale and Sampson than just stop there please. Nothing has ever been reported before about that. They seemed to get along just fine. McHale and the rest of the team valued Sampson a ton. Nobody wanted him to go, but they all realized why he had to leave and take the offer.

I think you'll see a better East next year. The West will probably be about the same... which means still pretty damn tough. Sacramento could get better, Phoenix could get better. However there are some teams that are destined to drop at some point here soon.

Anyone who thinks Kevin Love wouldn't make this team better is crazy. Are they good enough to win a title???.... Still depends on what else you are putting around the big 3 in that situation. I would argue that quality role players around Harden & Howard could even better than Harden/Love/Howard and D-leaguer talent, but if you are Morey and you can get Love to go along with Harden & Howard, you do it, and then worry about the surrounding talent later.

McHale will get plenty of help with his assistant coaches this Summer. McHale is a bottom 8 coach in the NBA by himself, but I liked them as a unit before Sampson left. However that obviously hurt them as a whole unit. Lets just wait and see what kind of hire the Rockets make with the lead assistants before judging.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

She died at 86 years old.... she was a vastly overrated pop poet..... her passing doesn't change that..... regardless I will take it to the HANGOUT.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Just my opinion.... you don't have to agree with me. I never felt her poetry was especially good, and have heard stories about how poorly she treated people.... if she inspired you, that is all that really matters I suppose.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

R.I.P she was one of the most inspirational speakers i have ever heard .

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No... She died TODAY, and despite what you think of the quality of her work, that work inspired millions of Americans, and was one of the loudest voices for social change of the past century. There are also people here who might have met her in person(05 & 07 back at the college I worked & went to school at), and been inspired personally by her work. There is a time, a place, and a certain way to say things.

1 person likes this.
  11. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunate. While I am not an impassioned admirer of her works, I do respect her position as a towering figure in the African-American pantheon of civil rights advocates.

That this comment was coldly made on the day of her passing is appalling and denotes an unwarranted lack of respect -- not just for her -- but for those members of this community affected by her passing.

I know, I know... this is an internet message board so why the sensitivity to such insensitivity? Perhaps it has more to do with the poster, whom I considered to be among the better, more mature posters on this board.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Phenomenal Woman
    BY MAYA ANGELOU

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
    I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
    But when I start to tell them,
    They think I’m telling lies.
    I say,
    It’s in the reach of my arms,
    The span of my hips,
    The stride of my step,
    The curl of my lips.
    I’m a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That’s me.

I walk into a room
    Just as cool as you please,
    And to a man,
    The fellows stand or
    Fall down on their knees.
    Then they swarm around me,
    A hive of honey bees.
    I say,
    It’s the fire in my eyes,
    And the flash of my teeth,
    The swing in my waist,
    And the joy in my feet.
    I’m a woman
    Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,
    That’s me.

Men themselves have wondered
    What they see in me.
    They try so much
    But they can’t touch
    My inner mystery.
    When I try to show them,
    They say they still can’t see.
    I say,
    It’s in the arch of my back,
    The sun of my smile,
    The ride of my breasts,
    The grace of my style.
    I’m a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That’s me.

Now you understand
    Just why my head’s not bowed.
    I don’t shout or jump about
    Or have to talk real loud.
    When you see me passing,
    It ought to make you proud.
    I say,
    It’s in the click of my heels,
    The bend of my hair,
    the palm of my hand,
    The need for my care.
    ’Cause I’m a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That’s me.

13. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Class act. :rolleyes:

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You should read up on her life before talking ****.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I am well aware of her life, she discussed it everywhere, all the time... and I have read quite a bit of her work...... I am well aware of her poetry.... I have even seen her perform live..... I also have seen how she is outside of the limelight.

I said I would take it to the D&D..... if you want to continue discuss it, take it to the D&D.

16. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

pop poet? I guess you don't like "I Know why the Caged Bird Sings". That would make her an author, by the way. I did not know books about Jim Crow times in the South are consider part of pop culture.

You are a strange strange little man.

2 people like this.
  17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aren't you the same dude that helped drive cyberx from the site by constantly following his posts with denial? Being a contrarian is a cool thing to do when you're in high school...eventually we all have to grow up.

18. coffeelover665

heh *microwave popcorn and watch the public scorn"

19. Nook

Nook Member

Basically....

1 person likes this.
  20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wonderfully inspiring person. Met her in my college days. Was very kind and generous. Went out of her way to give a brother some face-to-face time.

Led a tough life and came out on the other side without being consumed by anger and bitterness.