1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Luby's and Fuddruckers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 8, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I always liked Lubys, and went to the one on Waugh A LOT (once saw Mutombo eating there). But I will say, not all Luby's are good, and not all good Luby's are consistently good. It did get crappier when Pappas bought it, but I still enjoyed eating there most of the time.

Consistency is something that is generally lost on all large chain restaurants/fast food joints. In the good old days, the burger you got at one Whataburger was the same as you got at any other Whataburger. Those days are long gone though, you have to find the "good" Whataburgers now, and not stray from them.

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Still remember the taste of the crusty fried fish fillet and slightly goopy Mac n cheese from lubys.

Hope there are cafeteria style diners that still exists and doesn't taste like watered down garbage

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Do you find Whataburgers after being bought by that Chicago based group, are a little down from the normal quality? It's hit or miss for me too.

4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

which location?

I went recently to the S. MacGregor one in Houston and it was so-so.

BA1990 likes this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

I haven't noticed a difference, I think the consistency problem for Whataburger (and every other large chain) was there before the sale. The two Whataburger locations that have never disappointed me are San Felipe and Voss, I-10 and Silber, and 59 at Weslayan. I've had subpar Whataburger at 610 and W.18th, Westheimer and Timmons, and Westheimer and Chimney Rock.

BA1990 and TWS1986 like this.
  6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Can vouch for subpar Whataburger at 610 and W18th. Yep.

BA1990 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Round Rock and Austin Mopac locations.