1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Luby's and Fuddruckers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 8, 2020.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Clever marketing ploy that is sure to backfire.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think I remember that place, got some super greasy chicken there one time and was sick as a dog.

Not in Huntsville though.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's in the hands of the shareholders now, right? The board voted to close, now the shareholders have to approve the plan and its game over.

4. Buck Turgidson

Well hell, I always went to the Bragg Stockton Camp and now I feel like a large part of my childhood was a terrible mistake.

MadMax likes this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pappas upgraded Lubys. They were dying before being acquired. I would suspect it costs too much to maintain the quality they want at Lubys given their market

I have a great Fuddruckers memory. My 11 year older brother took me to the one in Greenspoint my first time after dropping my parents off at the airport. He was excited to introduce me to it

Nook likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wyatt's was a bit of a downgrade. Lower prices. Never ate at Piccadilly

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Lubys is no biggie. Now that I’m in Tennessee not Texas , they have a crapload of places they call meat and three which is lubys type food ...but Fuddruckers hits hard. I would go there so often in Texas.

recently went to Florida on vacation and went to a restaurant that had a burger and the new thing they do is used meat from different parts of the cow like that is gourmet or something when it tastes like wild deer meat instead. Nothing like that fuddrucker burger

edit, just saw the last page, they aren’t closing ?! Crap they had me lol

Nook and Uprising like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You could have hung out with me and my grandparents and had Tinsleys at night after being on the baseball field all day.

Nook, boomboom and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

We got no fried chicken at camp, but I did at granny's house, the summers with the grandparents I will always cherish. Where do you ship your kids off to these days?

I remember "rollies", eyeballs drawn on my kneecaps, 100 swings in the mirror every night, and some other stuff from baseball camp.

I very much remember my parents catching 10 year old me, walking up the stairs with a baseball bat..."Uh...whatcha doing? I have to watch myself swing in the mirror. As mom asked "What mirror?" it dawned on her..."You are NOT PLAYING BASEBALL IN OUR BATHROOM!" "But, but I gotta look at my swing, see, I have eyes on my knees?"

eta: and Kyle Rote Jr Soccer Camp

#89 Buck Turgidson, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Although the San Jacinto Inn is gone, their legendary biscuit recipe is online.

[​IMG]

11. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not necessarily. Investors could purchase a portion and keep it running, much like Bennigans, which reopened a couple in Houston afterwards and still has several running in the Country.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Use to eat at that one all the time with my mom and then go get some frozen yogurt with blackberries all over it. That was back when they still had cow carcasses hanging up as you came in.

#92 Blatz, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I will miss Fudds. Great memories of going to the one in The Woodlands. It was one of the first restaurants here when it opened in the early 80's. Still go to that location with my dad from time to time. I've always thought they had good burgers and love the fries.

Honestly couldn't care less about Luby's. I was never a fan of the cafeteria food and didn't like when we'd go there. Don't think I've stepped foot in one since I was a kid. Though, since I work in the commercial kitchen industry, I never like to see places close (especially since I was in conversations with PRI about doing some work for Luby's and Fudds, along with the PRI concepts just a couple years ago).

Nook likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Champs, JoJo's, Luby's, and Fuddruckers were all go to places for me growing up. Great food! All the changes at Luby's were annoying though, especially the whole pay before and the dumb waiters that needed tipping but didn't really do anything. Hopefully I'll be able to get some Fudd burgers to go soon.

jo mama likes this.
  15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Fudd's has a solid burger. Just picked up food there this weekend. Was also good to bring kids (back when we took our kids places). Hopefully someone keeps it alive.

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Oh man I forgot about JoJo`s, we used to hit the one on 1960 and Veterans after cruising North Oaks Mall back in the 80`s :cool:....good times

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

JoJo's at Wilcrest & I-10 was a late night spot when I was in high school and home for summers. That location is a Denny's now....did Denny's buy them out?

CometsWin and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, I totally forgot about the cow carcasses. That was always a nice touch!

We used to go there after Cy Creek football games back in the 80's. I still remember sitting in that circle windowsill waiting for a table at midnight every Friday night.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad to hear Luby's is surviving that place is a real Texas institution. It was even on King of the Hill. The one on Buffalo Speedway was the first place that I had chicken fried steak.

jiggyfly and boomboom like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Wow, I'd forgotten about that place.

MadMax likes this.