1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Kitty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Apr 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jeff shared this story last night and it's a big one today. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I read about it last night and was hoping beyond hope she would be found. With a little girl around her age and another on the way, this story is hitting me hard. I feel so awful for her parents and family. What an awful thing to have to endure.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I told my wife last night about it when I saw Jeff's post and then she was up most of the night stressed out about it. Just a horrible thing man. I can't even. :(

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Heard about this on the news this morning, then got the update a few hours ago.

Now I'm just watching the clock, waiting until 4:30 when I can get the hell out of here and go home and hug my boys.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I couldn't even imagine. :(

RIP Kitty

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

God, that is tragic. RIP Little One.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My wife knew her mother and had the girl's sister recording in her recording studio and Kitty came to my house with them a couple of times. I didn't spend any time with her at all but my wife says she was a really precocious, gregarious child - exactly the kind of happy outgoing child that you dream your children will turn out to be.

Very sad.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

She just reminds me so much of my Harper. Same little bike in that picture, Elsa on her birthday cake...man, I just feel so awful for them.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jesus that story is heartbreaking. I don't know how the father is going to handle that. I can't even imagine. It only takes a second.

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My deepest condolences to the family and anyone who knew her. It's tragedies like this one that hit you the hardest, if you have kids you know exactly what I'm talking about.

RIP little one...:(

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My brother in-law owns a house on a canal down on Galveston Island and we've decided that life jacket is going on whenever she gets out of the car. There are typically a lot of people around and that can lead to being complacent about where your kiddo is. My mind starts to wander about her falling into the canal and if no one sees it immediately, what are we going to do?? This is not at all a jab at the parents, btw. It's impossible to keep your eyes on your kids at all times.

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Terrible loss of life.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hate to say its bad luck since its way more sad than that but **** me. Sometimes....sometimes all you can do is look up and hope theres some meaning to moments like this. I should be dead with all little kid stuff I did not thinking about safety.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That is truly a horrible accident. I hope her family will be able to find some peace.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think all parents have at least one of those scary moments where something terrible almost happens.

When my son was only a couple weeks old I was walking with him down the stairs in our apartment and I just completely lost my footing. My arms flew up and he went up into the air and there is nothing but hardwood below the stairs. My leg had given out under me and was basically bent under me when I fell. I somehow (based on pure reflex) managed to lunge into the air backwards and grab my son in mid-air and turn 180 degrees all in the same motion so I slammed back-first onto the hardwood and he hit nothing but my chest.

My wife was in a state of hysteria by the time we landed and then I looked at my son and he was just staring at me calm as could be, without a scratch on him. Meanwhile I am as freaked out as I have ever been in my life. After that we instituted a rule that no one would carry him down the stairs without putting him in his carrier. Of course, a couple days later my wife was carrying him downstairs in the carrier and did the exact same thing, falling and busting her tailbone, but again my son was ok.

Nothing prepares you for those moments.

15. Anticope

Anticope Member

It disgusts me that people in the comment section of the chronicle are calling for charges to be brought against the father. Is losing your 5 year old daughter and having to live with a lifetime of guilt not enough? Good grief.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i think it's ridiculous too. no one can keep an eye on their kids 100% of the time. this was an unfortunate event that will haunt the family for the rest of their lives.

i personally know someone who lost a child in the driveway because the kid had run out of the house without anyone realizing it. her father was backing out when he hit the kid causing severe head trauma. she didn't survive. everyone was devastated. but no one was charged and shouldn't be.

17. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

I know exactly what this father is going through, there is no way to prepare yourself for such a tragedy. My whole hearted condolences to the family of such a young child. Rest In Peace little one.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Charges probably are ridiculous... but then, you can at least envision a charge.

There is a line somewhere between driving with your young kids say without seatbelts, and leaving your young kid unattended around water.

In the first instance, not only would we say that is definitely endangering and worth of a crime if an incident would to occur, there are such laws in place. In the second case, we think... probably not. We can't legislate and criminalize putting your children in any sort of additionally dangerous situation. Yet, if the girl was in the boat, and it was underway, it would have been illegal. Just pointing out, it's clearly a fine line.

And we "feel bad" commenting on the parenting skills of others when we know it's not possible or plausible in any way to punish said parent more than they will punish themselves. BUT... but, but, but... all that aside, there are others on here who have already noted that they see situations like this and recognize them as increased danger, and treat their children accordingly. There is risk of being over-protective. But wearing a life jacket is not overprotective.

I visit a house with a backyard doc with the kiddos. And we sit out there and fish, etc. And the kids wear life jackets. And in the rare situations where they convince me to do a quick fish no lifejacket, it's one kid, with me right there the whole time, and even that could be dumb.

It's a sad state of affairs to be sure.

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Very sad and devastating.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

wow....our deepest condolences to Jeff and his friend from the cc.net community.

tragic.