1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Joey

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TexasFight, Jun 22, 2010.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

My cat died this morning.

(This is going to be long. It is more for me to just sort through my thoughts at this time. Please excuse me for using this site as a way to vent, but I don't have anywhere else to go right now.)

This is a very new sensation to me. Throughout my 30+years on this planet, I have been very enthusiastic in my dislike for animals. My family never had pets when I was a child, and I thought animals were "dirty."

Then I met the love of my life about 3 years ago. She had a fat orange tabby named Joey. Joey was a stray cat who would come by her house back in 2000 when she was an undergrad in college. At that time, she had a fear/dislike of cats. She would lay out outside of her apartment to catch some rays and to study for school, and this cat would come up to her and jump on top of her stomach. It would then proceed to lay down and purr incessantly. After a few days of this, she took a liking to the cat and began feeding him.

Then it was on. The cat decided he liked his new home, she began to adore him, and officially took him in as her own, naming him Joey.

Fast forward 7 years and we meet and start dating. From the start I dislike her cat tremendously because, again, I think animals are dirty. We spend most of our time at my house because she lived with a roommate. The cat stayed at her house and her roommate tended to it. Joey was hardly in my life, and I liked it that way. She understood my dislike and never tried to force Joey on me.

Until the day in January when I told her I wanted us to move in together (with the notion that we'd be engaged some time this year). She then said she would go no where without Joey. I took a few days to think it over.

What I left out was that I have OCD (self-diagnosed) and am the biggest neat-freak in the world. My house is like a hospital, in that I am constantly cleaning and scrubbing every nook and cranny.

Nevertheless, I knew this was going to be my future wife, so I accepted Joey.

At first I was frightened of him. Then I would get annoyed of him because he left cat hair around the house, sometimes vomited undigested food on my immaculate carpets, and made the house smell like "cat."

I would share my stories of annoyance with my friends, and they said I should blog about them so that I wouldn't have to share the same stories with them separately. Instead, they could read about it whenever they wanted an update. Plus, they know I love writing (as a hobby) and that it would be fun for me.

I decided to indulge them and began writing.

The blog ended after several weeks because I realized that I was no longer annoyed with Joey, but actually grew to like him.

Strike that, I grew to love him.

Strike that. I loved him like I never knew I could love an animal.

Once I was laid off in March, I began tending to his every need. I cleaned his litter box, I kept his food bowl filled, I constantly dropped ice cubes in his water dish (because my girlfriend told me he liked cold water), I created several cat beds out of old pillows and sheets for him and placed them in his favorite lounging places in the house. He would sit in my lap every night as we watched Rockets game together. We also watched every playoff basketball game together with him sitting in my lap over the past few weeks. I often would be eating dinner during games and feed him pieces of meat from my plate. He got a huge kick out of that.

I couldn't get over how much I now loved Joey. In fact, in April I realized I loved cats so much that we went down to a pet adoption agency and adopted a 9 month old brown tabby. This little kitten was feisty and always messing with old Joey. We had to break up many a fight over the last few months. Sometimes I worried that Joey disliked this new cat, but then I would catch them licking each other's faces and tops of heads privately and my fears subsided.

Within days, I fell just as hard for the new cat as I did for Joey. I realized that I was now a "cat guy" after 30 years of pure animal dislike. Whenever my girlfriend and I would go out to play tennis (and walk to the neighborhood courts) I would stop and pet any random cat I found. She couldn't get over the transformation I'd made in just 6 short months.

Then this morning happened.

My girlfriend is out of town this week for business. She has been travelling a lot lately, so it has just been me and the two cats at home all day. I woke up this morning and found Joey laying on the carpet at the foot of the bed. He was laying on his side and had vomited a pool of blood.

I immediately yelped "Joey! Are you OK??? Are you sick buddy?!?!?" I went over to pet him and he felt very stiff. Not having been around animals much, I wasn't sure what had happened. I went to get some carpet cleaner to remove the stain. When I walked into the hallway of my house, I saw a trail of blood stains. Instantly, I ran back into my bedroom and yelled "JOEY, WAKE UP!!!"

Then it hit me. Joey had passed.

I began bawling immediately. I called my girlfriend and relayed the bad news. I then wrapped his body in his favorite towel and took him to a cat doctor, where he will be cremated and his ashes will be returned to us.

Now I sit here at my laptop, a despondent man reflecting on the last 6 months of my life.

I know my pain is nothing to that of my girlfriend's, who had the cat for 10 years. But Joey opened up a part of my heart that I never knew existed, and it pains me deeply that he is no longer here.

Joey... here's to you buddy. I don't drink very much, but I'll be raising a glass tonight in your honor. I'm sorely miss all the time we spent with you in my lap every night as we watched every Rockets game from January - playoffs, and then all of the playoff games over the last month.

RIP, bud. Thank you for showing me how to love animals. I will always remember you for that.

[​IMG]

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Cool story bro.

No seriously, that's a pretty good story. Sorry for the loss though but glad to see you remember the good times.

4. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I'm sorry for your loss, it sounds heartbreaking. I don't know what else to say. :(

5. Egghead

Egghead Member

Sorry for your loss man

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I love my pets like I do any other member of the family. Like me I'm sure you will have a lot of funny memories to hold on to. Very sorry for your loss. :(

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry for your loss.

(I was scared for a second that the actor from "Friends" had died!)

8. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

:( RIP Joey. So sorry for your loss.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

:( sorry for your loss man.

have a puppy myself that i love like a son.

RIP Joey.

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Actually now that you mention it, I initially thought it was Uncle Joey from Full House.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thanks for sharing, writing is cathartic, I could feel the raw emotion in your words and I know it well.

Always remember the good times, it helps you cling on to something when the bad times come.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

sorry for your loss. try and be there for your girlfriend, all the pain you are feeling is multiplied exponentially, especially since she wasn't there with Joey in his last minutes.

you have to reassure her that Joey went out on his own terms and he needed to stop whatever pain he was going through...

Rest In Peace Joey!

and thank you for sharing

13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Really sorry to hear that dude, RIP Joey.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Que En Paz Descanse Joey. :(

I sincerely thought Matt LeBlanc had died. :eek:

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. I know it is difficult at first...but you will start to feel better and think about the good times...not how it ended. As noted on this forum, I lost my dog Zoe to the cancer fight a month ago. I was real close to my dogs and now have only one (her sister) left. Time does heal wounds fortunately.

Also, I grew up with a siamese cat named Bernie who lived to about 13. I actually ran over my little friend on my driveway in a terrible accident at the home I grew up in and had to watch Bernie die in front of me while it first tried to walk away from it and then went into convulsions dying a few moments later. That was a terrible experience and it took a while for me to get over that. That cat was my pal throughout my childhood and into my teen years. At least you do not have to live with that level of guilt.

Hang in there, man.

Surf

16. YaosDirtyStache

I hope your animal is now at peace. Sleep soundly, Joey!

PS. I was hoping this was RIP Joey Crawford!

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you get a theory on what happened?

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

That is a nightmare for me, too. I have 3 cats who live at my parents' place and I often go over there during lunchtime since it's closer to my office. One of my cats loves to run across the driveway as I drive up and I keep thinking one day someone will run her over. It's been a decade without incident so far, but I still try to be careful and spot her before I drive into the driveway.

That sucks about Joey though. While you only really knew him well for 6 months, he's your first and probably will always be your best cat. I've had a cat (also my favorite ever) die suddenly during the night time, too, and it's a very jarring experience.

I currently have a cat that's 17 years old with diabetes and a nasty persistent sneeze... not quite sure how she continues to hold on, but I feel I'm already prepared for the inevitable. Her sister died of liver disease last year (at age 16). Still makes me well up thinking about it, so I think I'll just stop typing here.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

RIP Joey. I have a pot-bellied pig that I love like a brother, and he too is getting up there in age. I don't know how I'm going to handle it when the inevitable day comes, but I think remembering all the good times is a start. Take solace in the fact that you and your girlfriend gave him a great home with a lot of love, and that he passed on in happiness.

20. Mae

Mae Member

Goodness. I always love to jump onto BBS as soon as I get a free moment in the morning, I didn't figure I'd end up crying reading my first post. But I'm recently getting over the loss of our cat as well.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

But it's absolutely amazing what a single animal can do with their unconditional love and heart. Although it hurts now, I'm sure that Joey's change in you is for the best. It makes me a little glad to know that you adopted a young kitten, for though it will never replace Joey, it will help.