1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Joaquín Andújar

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Sep 8, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

RIP. My friends and I used to call him Walk-em-In Andujar...if I recall correctly he wasn't very good for us in 88. Too early for him to pass though, that's for sure.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Never heard of him, but looks like he achieved a nice career.

R.I.P.

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

"There is one word in America that says it all, and that one word is, 'You never know.'"

RIP

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Awww man. So much fun watching him pitch.

RIP

6. the shark

the shark Member

Very sad to hear.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

So sad to hear those news.
    They guy had heart and balls. Always an Astros

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

R.I.P.
    Too early? It is ALWAYS too early for anyone at any age. Don't you think? :cool:

9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

One of my favorite Astros pitchers of all time! Why because he was a complete baseball player! When it was his turn to bat, he used to take MONSTER swings every single time! He actually wanted to bat, that's why he ended up with five homeruns (one inside the park)! He fielded his position well ran full speed, and could either start (and finish) a game, as well being an effective reliever!

I might be embellishing the facts a little, BUT this is how I remember him!!!!

RIP Señor Andujar! ... :(

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

RIP "One Tough Dominican"

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

One of the most colorful and fun to watch players in Astros history.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad news ...What a talented character Joaquin was....such a zest for life.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

Very emotional player fun to watch R.I.P

14. msn

msn Member

Also loved me some Joaquín. "You can sum up baseball in one word: juneberno."

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How Joaquin Andujar made like Babe Ruth for Cardinals

Three factors combined to make the last home run of Joaquin Andujar’s career both special and unconventional: It was a grand slam, he called the shot and the Cardinals pitcher, a right-hander, hit it left-handed.

joaquin_andujar5On May 15, 1984, Andujar earned a win with a complete-game eight-hitter and slugged the fifth and final home run of his big-league career in the Cardinals’ 9-1 triumph over the Braves at St. Louis.

In the eighth inning, the Cardinals led, 5-1, and had Andy Van Slyke on third and Ozzie Smith on second with two outs and catcher Tom Nieto at bat. The Braves opted to walk Nieto intentionally, loading the bases.

As reliever Jeff Dedmon delivered the mandatory four pitches outside the strike zone to Nieto, Andujar, waiting at the on-deck circle, pointed to the right-field wall.

“I told (teammates) George (Hendrick) and Tito (Landrum) that I was going to hit a home run,” Andujar told The Sporting News.

Smith, watching from second base, confirmed to St. Louis reporter Rick Hummel that he saw Andujar call his shot. “Can you believe that?” an exasperated Smith asked.

Special formula

Leaving the on-deck circle, Andujar strode toward the plate and settled into the left side of the batter’s box.

His first four major-league home runs had been hit right-handed. Andujar hit three homers _ off Bill Lee of the Expos, Steve Rogers of the Expos and Rick Wise of the Padres _ with the Astros. The fourth was hit for the Cardinals, again off the Expos’ Rogers, on April 27, 1984, at Montreal.

A career .127 hitter in his 13 major-league seasons, Andujar used a personal formula to determine whether he would bat right-handed or left-handed. He usually opted for the left side when facing a right-hander he didn’t know or when runners were on base, Hummel reported.

Dedmon, a right-hander, never had faced Andujar.

Watching from the dugout, Cardinals manager Whitey Herzog never knew what side of the batter’s box Andujar would choose. “What the hell do I know?” Herzog said to The Sporting News. “I’m only the manager.”

Sultan of Swat

With the bases loaded, “I knew they’d have to pitch to me,” Andujar told the Associated Press.

Andujar dug in and waited for a pitch in the strike zone.

Dedmon delivered.

“It was right down the middle,” said Braves manager Joe Torre.

Andujar hit it to where he had pointed _ over the right-field wall _ for his lone grand slam and his only home run struck left-handed.

“Every day, I hit five or six home runs in batting practice,” Andujar told The Sporting News. “I know I’m not a good hitter. I know I’m a lousy hitter. But … if I make contact, it’s gone.”

<hr />

That is so Andujar. He always swang for the fences.

1 person likes this.
  16. right1

right1 Member

I have vague memories of watching that game live as a 9 year old. I remember being intrigued at how a pitcher would always swing for the fences like Andujar. He was a character that made baseball fun to watch. RIP

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Geez, so today I find out Milo passed away, and when looking for information about that, I find out Gene Elston passed away a few days ago, and now I find out that Andujar passed away thanks to this thread. WTH? Along with Moses Malone's passing these past several days have been miserable for this longtime Houston sports fan. :(

1 person likes this.