1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Devo's Alan Myers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kpsta, Jun 26, 2013.

1. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

http://clubdevo.com/index.php?optio...9:devo-mourns-passing-of-alan-myers&Itemid=27

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1568156/alan-myers-devo-drummer-dies

The musician, who played with Devo for a decade, had been battling cancer.
    Alan Myers, the third and most prominent drummer of the band Devo, has died, according to a tweet by drummer and current Devo member Josh Freese. Myers had been battling cancer.

Myers joined Devo in 1976 and left a decade later. He can be heard on the new wave band’s biggest hit, 1980’s “Whip It,” which reached No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100. Myers also appears in the song’s iconic video, joining his bandmates in black, sleeveless turtlenecks, and their trademark headgear, where he is shown playing a set of Synare 3 drum synthesizers.

His style of drumming became near legendary thanks to such seminal albums as Devo’s 1978 debut, "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!" And 1980’s "Freedom of Choice" as well as the concert movie "Devo Live 1980," issued by Target Video in 2005.

Tributes began spreading on Twitter and Facebook soon after the news was disseminated by the likes of Ralph Carney, uncle of Black Keys’ Patrick Carney, who posted on Facebook, “He was Devo’s best drummer and one of the first people to teach me about jazz. i cry……….”

Wrote Devo co-founder Gerald Casale: "Alan, you were the best - a human metronome and then some."

In a 2010 interview with Spin, Freese, who started playing drums with Devo in 1996, described the influence Myers’ sound had on him. “It was the first album I got, when I was eight years old,” he told the music site. “I sat in my basement and played along to it all the time, so it was crazy when we did that tour last year where we played it top to bottom. It’s fun in the way that it’s very metronomic and the patterns are very deliberate and kind of nursery rhyme. A lot of people think that it’s a drum machine on ‘Whip It.’ But that’s Alan Myers.”

2. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Greatest American band ever. No joke. R.I.P.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. R.I.P.

4. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jadvt7CbH1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

His quirky drumming is actually really hard for a person to replicate. So much of it sounds like a drum machine.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

RIP Alan Myers. Devo is the only band I never get tired of.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP. Great band. I applaud his creativity.

7. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

RIP it. RIP it good.

8. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

NSFW lyrics...punk as f^c#.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VHIrp5Ej0Vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

As a fan it's sad to hear news like this. RIP.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP. It's like I am losing another part of my youth.