1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Charles Rocket's death ruled a suicide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mulder, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Mulder

Mulder Member

Guy could do a great dead pan in comedy films. Odd way to kill yourself.

FARMINGTON, Conn. - Actor and comedian Charles Rocket, who had roles in a variety of movies and TV series and briefly gained notoriety for uttering an obscenity on "Saturday Night Live," committed suicide, the state medical examiner ruled.

Rocket, 56, whose real name was Charles Claverie, was found dead in a field near his home in Canterbury on Oct 7. His throat had been cut, the medical examiner said.

"An investigation determined there was no criminal aspect to this case," State Police Sgt. J. Paul Vance said Monday.

Rocket was a cast member on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" during the 1980-81 season. The profanity incident happened during a spoof of the "Who Shot J.R.?" plot line on "Dallas," which created a nationwide sensation at the time.

"Dallas" star Charlene Tilton was the "SNL" guest host that week. Rocket, who came on stage in a wheelchair, uttered the profanity after he was asked what it was like to have been shot.

The incident sparked complaints from viewers and prompted NBC to issue an apology. Rocket was later dismissed along with other cast members and writers on the show amid weak ratings at the time.

He went on to appear in numerous TV shows, including "Moonlighting" and "Max Headroom," and provided voices for cartoon series. His movie credits included "Earth Girls are Easy," "Dumb and Dumber" and "Dances With Wolves," according to the Internet Movie Database.
    Before his time on "Saturday Night Live," Rocket was an anchorman at television stations in Colorado and Rhode Island and played an influential role in the Providence, R.I., arts scene decades ago, friends said.

"I just think he was one of the nicest and funniest people I ever met," said Chip Young, who co-wrote a column on Rocket in a Providence paper. "He had so many friends and influenced so many people."

EDIT: my bad. Here's the link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051017/ap_en_tv/comedian_suicide

#1 Mulder, Oct 17, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  2. Mr. Brightside

wow, in so many ways

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Member

Ummmmmm WOW. That's a nice, big sign there.

4. Mr. Brightside

Clutch is gonna go Area 51 over this very quickly.

5. oomp

oomp Member

6. tim562

tim562 Member

Dude what the hell??? I think thats a little uncalled for!!!

7. Mr. Brightside

take it to D&D. We're civil over here.

8. Mulder

Mulder Member

ok. what did i miss?

EDIT: OH MY GOD. That gross image did NOT come up until like the tenth time I reloaded the page!!!

I didn't even see the whole thing before I jumped in and edited it.

My bad guys. Way unintentional.

Let's try this picture instead...

[​IMG]

#8 Mulder, Oct 17, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  9. A-Train

A-Train Member

ROFL!!!

Remind me to hit the "preview post" button if I'm linking any pics from now on...

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Member

It appears that you tried to post an image, but it was off a site that wouldn't let you. Originally, your post had an ENORMOUS sign starting off your post reading, STOP F***ING STEALING OUR BANDWITH YOU F***ING S***-SNIFFING C***S." It was something along those lines. So, good job. haha :D

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I was just about to tell you, but I guess you figured it out. What site did you leech off of and what was the picture of?

12. Mulder

Mulder Member

It was a picture of the actor at some book signing. Looked like the most recent one so that's why I linked it. It was from this site:

http://www.ehrensteinland.com/htmls/g007/charlesrocket.html

God. UN COOL.

13. Mulder

Mulder Member

Dude I did preview it. I was like "Why is everyone getting so upset? Oh, I forgot to link the story... No they're still mad... Hmmm is it because I said 'deadpan'? Wow these guys are sensitive. Lemme look at it one more OH GOD IN HEAVEN WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?!?!?!?!?!"