1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Caldwell Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by giddyup, Sep 23, 2014.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

RIP Caldwell !

DD

3. today

today Contributing Member

Loved this guy, our group always referred to him as Grandpa Jones =)

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PqFI8uvLew4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very nice....

7. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Yes we did. Talking about memories here. Reminds me how old I am getting. RIP and God bless the family.

8. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Caldwell you always gave your best on the court and in Life !

If today's NBA players modeled his behavior it would be a good thing.

(except for six packs while talking to the press...because the innertubes would bend it bad of course.)

RIP and peace for his family.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The oldest of the infamous Jones brothers...

RIP Pops..

T_Man

10. alethios

alethios Member

interesting moniker you have. I live in CA now, but before I joined the navy, I lived in Kemah (915 Kipp). I went to CCHS, class of 80. My parents eventually sold the place (unreal taxes), so I don't know who lives there now, but I miss it sometimes. I especially miss the shrimp. Do they still have Blessing of the Fleet in August? Take care :)

11. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Damn. Not that I have a very good idea what he was doing in his post-NBA life...but that's just too soon to be taken.

I think he was our starting center in the first game I ever saw the Rockets play in person (a loss in that dismal 82-83 season with an overall 14-68 record). We had two of the Jones brothers on the team that year. My bad memories of that season were dominated by the trade of Moses Malone and the question, "What the hell are we going to do without Moses?" My main good memories of that year's team were associated with the idea that we would have a shot at Ralph Sampson if we ended up with a bad enough record. Despite the bad record, I still followed the Rockets as closely as I could and hoped for the best every time they played.

Thank goodness that during those couple of bad seasons we had the Houston Cougars and Phi Slama Jama going strong to keep the local basketball a little more interesting. ;)

Ok, I am digressing with the Phi Slama Jama memories. For the Caldwell Jones situation...I am saddened. Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in Peace, Caldwell. :(

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, I believe he was the 2nd oldest. Three of them played for the Rockets, though.

This is especially sad to me, since I can still hear Gene Peterson calling Rockets games and saying his name. :(

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Righteous Brothers>Isley Brothers>Jones Brothers>Clayton Brothers>Pernice Brothers>Avett Brothers.

RIP CJ.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

You're right DOD... I thought Pops was older than Wil..

Amazing 4 brothers and they all played in the NBA... just amazing.

T_Man