1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer] Top 52 Favorite Sports Moments for 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Dec 28, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Pretty sure Bill Simmons hates the Astros. He literally has a podcast discussing each World Series winner after the WS ends but didn't say a word this time. He was dancing on the Astros graves when the Braves won in '21.

It's funny the Ringer stopped covering MLB regularly after the Red Sox became irrelevant.

#2 tehG l i d e, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Uprising and 13 in 33 like this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

Simmons hates everything regarding Houston, and it all dates back to the mid 2000's when he got pissy that ESPN didn't do their research and put him in geographically bad hotels when he was covering the Superbowl in 2004 and the WS in 2005. His two experiences here in that short time were bad and he had held a grudge against the entire town ever since.

It'd be a like a person that hates NYC on the basis he had work to do in Manhattan but his company make him stay in White Plains or something.

13 in 33, clos4life and tehG l i d e like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe... but even the nicest location in Houston is more outskirt NYC-ish than Manhattan-like.

Houston just isn't the best place for tourists... neither is Dallas or Atlanta.

The Super Bowl would be just fine with a stable rotation of Miami, New Orleans, Vegas, LA (with the occasional Phoenix thrown in).

clos4life likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just keep the hate and disrespect going. It will make it that much sweeter when the Astros win again

whiskeyred likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey what’s about Minneapolis? We’ve hosted two, have a state of the art stadium and who doesn’t like burgers stuffed with cheese and ice fishing!

I mean Carlos Correa said he loved Minnesota!
    ;):po_O

Nick likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep!

On a serious note, yes there could be a case made for cities like Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Houston... cities that may not be destination worthy from a tourist aspect, but just do a solid job of hosting a big event. All the necessary convention space, stadium amenities, and hotel proximity. All the necessary travel/airport requirements (albeit slightly more unpredictable weather up north).

But in the end, if its just as much about the week leading up to it as it is the venues... I'd prefer to have the SB (or all big events) in places that people normally would go to on vacation. (didn't always feel this way, but I see the light now).

8. Yordan The Great

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Astros' "I don't get no respect" chip on the shoulder.

"tainted" 2017 title or not, sports media doesn't really care about Astros narrative. It's whatever at this point. They didn't care that much about the Royals winning in 2015 and probably wouldn't care if Oak/Minne/Cinn won it either.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. CrazyJoeDavola

I just watched the last out of the WS 52 times in a row. The 52nd viewing I would say ranks 1st. Not sure where the other 51 viewings rank. I'll think about it.........

msn and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  11. SuraGotMadHops

Tourist city or not, Houston hosts SuperBowls and Final Fours like freaking champs. The expo they had downtown last SB was freaking awesome, and I think it was the 2016 Final Four when they had that concert in downtown. Houston knows how to do it, and that's why they keep coming back.

13 in 33 likes this.
  12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Not worth a click.

Invisible Fan and Uprising like this.